Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poll: what roman movie should you like to see made?
Mine would be the siege of alesia with vercingtorix and caesar played by Daniel Day-Lewis and Athony Hopkins respectively. My next choice would be Boudica's revolt and I'm not sure about this one maybe jessica lang and then fill the rest of the cast with british character actors so the cast will be extremely strong and better than a bunch of hollywood types. The only problem is that it might turn into Xena without a good director.<br>
<br>
Naso <p></p><i></i>
How old was Caius Julius Caesar at Alesia? Anthony Hopkins is a little long in the tooth! Ceasar was born about 100BC? and Alesia was about 52BC which would make Caesar about 47 years old? What 45-50 year old actors would make the best Julius Caesar?<br>
He was only about 54 when he was murdered.<br>
<br>
Instead of filling in with known actors, from Britain or the USA, why not use actual Italian and French actors where possible, even a few Germans (cavalry), and write the speaking parts in Latin or Gallic or German. You could then use sub-titles to make the film an educational film for Latin Students, and it could be subtitled as an "art" film to go all over the world. Of course, it might not appeal to people who can't read, but then, ...... maybe they should learn? <p>"Just before class started, I looked in the big book where all the world's history is written, and it said...." Neil J. Hackett, PhD ancient history, professor OSU, 1987</p><i></i>
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Sounds great but in the US even people who can read are too lazy to read subtitles for long Remember the emerald forest it was a great movie but with all of the subtitles it didn't do well in the states.<br>
<br>
Naso <p></p><i></i>
How about Patrick Stewart as someone? Or Liam Neeson...<br>
<br>
Yes, Tom Sizemore would make an excellent centurion or optio (he was also in "Pearl Harbour").<br>
<br>
<p>"Only Trajan could go to Dacia."<BR>
<BR>
Magnus/Matt<BR>
Optio<BR>
Legio XXX "Ulpia Victrix" </p><i></i>
You didn't say you were making a "blockbuster". If the people are to lazy to read, then why are we making a film for them anyway? Is it to be more Hollywood eyecandy? Do you want an authentic film, or something that everyone will want to see? If the former, we would have realistic combat, speech and storyline, if the latter, we need napalm, lots of nekkid women, and some really modern music, along with some handsome kid who is having to make choices about morality, sexual preference and drug use. Which do we really want?<br>
<br>
The Varus disaster, modern style, with the noble "Herman" who was tricked into sex and drugs by the "evil Varus" ( who runs "fixed" gladiator games and imports drugs from Columbia), but then "Herman" is saved from a life of degradation by a scantily clad "Britainy Spears" who convinces him to kill "evil Varus" to the sound of rap music and pop music love songs?<br>
<br>
I prefer the realistic approach, but I could get investors for the second..... especially if we throw in gratuitous female nudity....... EM <p>"Just before class started, I looked in the big book where all the world's history is written, and it said...." Neil J. Hackett, PhD ancient history, professor OSU, 1987</p><i></i>
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
<br>
<br>
I always imagined Glenn Close as Boudicca...<br>
<br>
<br>
Ualete,<br>
Titus Sabatinus Aquilius<br>
<br>
<br>
"Desilite, inquit, commilitones, nisi vultis aquilam hostibus prodere" D.B.G. (4.25)<br>
<p></p><i></i>
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]
id like to see something about Caratacus or Cartimandua, complete traitor that she was <p></p><i></i>
And what about the story of the Foundation?<br>
But well, a big production depicting a major roman venture into the barbaricum would be nice. Take your pick, they made quite a few..<br>
Marius' Cimbric wars could be an good occasion for major battle scenes.<br>
And what about the siege at Syracuse? With Archimedes and his machines?<br>
Or the fall of Carthage? <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showLocalUserPublicProfile?login=antoninuslucretius>Antoninus Lucretius</A> at: 9/10/02 6:01:03 pm<br></i>
ooh that'd be a good one, the death of Archimedes <p></p><i></i>
Roman movies would show the vile Caratacus as a terrorist and murderer who continually (shades of Osama bin Ladin) fought against civilization and staged banditry raids, and coerced the weaker people to hide him from justice, until the brave Cartimandua got rid of her traitorous husband (who was secretly helping the terrorist band) and with the help of her brave, handsome, and loyal standard bearer caught the vile murderer in a trap and turned him over to justice. Then the wily criminal pleads for his life in court and joins the Roman government as a happy guest on a pension because the Roman government was merciful even to terrorists, if they admitted their evil ways and repented.<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
I would love to see a movie about Carausius and Allectus the British "Emperors". It would have sea battles, land battles, high politics, friendship and betrayal. I don't know who should play the leads though. I really like Colin Farrell, but he wouldn't fit either part. Maybe someone else can come up with a Roman movie with a part in it for Colin Farrell (Hart's War). I would go see it. He's Irish. Maybe he could play Caractacus?<br>
<br>
Aelyn <p></p><i></i>
Well Caius,<br>
<br>
I'd like to see a movie that's both a blockbuster and historically accurate. Though I'm always up for gratuitous nudity EM . Seriously it can be done and I think the public does appreciate it even if they don't know what exactly they're appreciating.<br>
<br>
Naso <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showLocalUserPublicProfile?login=naso>naso</A> at: 9/12/02 7:40:20 pm<br></i>
hm, i guess the Dacian wars would be fairly easy to convert into a film script.<br>
let Mel Gibson play Decebalus and we'd have another "braveheart" movie <p></p><i></i>
Yea as long as they don't put them in kilts<br>
<br>
Naso <p></p><i></i>
A few years ago i seem to remember rumours of a project in which Sarah, Duchess of York was going to play Boudicca... <p><BR><a href="http://pub45.ezboard.com/fromanarmytalkfrm6.showMessage?topicID=53.topic" target="Rules For Posting"></p><i></i>
In the name of heaven Catiline, how long do you propose to exploit our patience..