Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the greatest emperor
Augustus.

He established the frame work and the precedents that allowed the empire to not only survive but thrive despite several abysmal and indifferent emperors.

Of those who followed there were many great ones, and a few who surprised everyone with their wisdom and generosity. In this I am thinking of Titus, who many feared might be another Nero, or worse. However he rose to the challenge and was one of the "good emperors."

One night at dinner, as he reflected upon the day and realized he had done nothing for anyone said to those gathered about, "Friends, I have lost a day."

Words to live by.

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Theodosius I
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I'd have to go with Vespasian. I think his military genius combined with his humble backgrounds make him probably the most straightforward and competent Emperor. I think it is also hard to bring a society back together after a terrible civil war. Caesar had the same problem in bringing together the Republic after his civil war had ended, and we all know what happened to him. I think that counts for a lot in ranking an emperor: how do they themselves, and society fair after a tragic war? Vespasian is one of the few emperors after Caesar and before "the Good Emperors" that was beloved by the people, and lived to die a natural death, which should also counts for something.
Gaius Tertius Severus "Terti" / Trey Starnes

"ESSE QUAM VIDERE"
Markus Aurelius, for all the reasons listed above. Too bad Lucius Verus died accidently (?) and Commodus became Caesar......

As for later Emperors, Markus Aurelius Claudius II Gothicus 268 AD, it was him that routed a HUGE gothic invading army at the Battle of Naissus with the help of his cavalry commander the future Emperor Aurelian. Claudius set the stage for Aurelians comeback Smile Unfortinately the Plague took his life before he could really achieve more. (only 2 years after his succession)
Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]
I'd have to say Trajan overall. The Empire was truly in good hands during his rule, militarily, economically, and culturally. But I must say I also admire Diocletian for making the big decisions when they counted, as well as bringing order to a state that had not known the meaning of the word in over half a century.

Although if there was any emperor I would choose to sit down and talk with, it would have to be Marcus Aurelius. A man who was almost too wise, too conscientious to be emperor.
Paul Basar - Member of Wildfire Game\'s Project 0 AD
Wildfire Games - Project 0 A.D.
the greatest emperor of them all was Maximinus Thrax - he was reportedly 8 ft 6 in (2.59 m) tall!
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
Tiberius Nero

He blew the bank at the olympic games, played the flute, was a womans man (or was it the otherway, anyway). He wrote poetry and probally was a painter aswell.

And he had the good grace to say at his final moment, " Oh, What an artist the world is losing..." Humble, eh!

Oh! His only fault was to be born in Rome 2000 years ago. In our days he would have been one of the worlds most famous ROCKSTARS.

8) :wink: :roll:
LOL
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
About emperors and incidentally: I live at about 1 Km as the crow flies from the Lucius Verus' suburban villa, along the via Cassia (once via Clodia).

Built, of course, in the II century v.e., it was famous for its sumptuousness and above all for its magnificent glass multicoloured decorated sheets with more complex elements too, found assembled yet.

In 1925-28, above the remains , architect Armando Brasini, built a new villa for the Alessandro Manzoni's (famous italian writer) nephews.

[Image: 3311.gif]

Abandoned for years, and never launched as archeological park, was recently aquired by the american group Carlyle for 3,3 millions euro and sold to the Republic of Kazakistan for six millions (good deal!) to create the ambassador's residence. Confusedhock:
Another piece of Roma lost forever Cry

You can feel that the Genius Loci is Strong anyway here Smile

Valete,
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]
Anastasius - I'll leave you to wonder why :wink:
Nik Gaukroger

"Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he will tell you.
If he does not, why humiliate him?" - Canon Sydney Smith

mailto:[email protected]

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.endoftime.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/">http://www.endoftime.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
Constantine.
It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one\'s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)
Quote:Tiberius Nero

He blew the bank at the olympic games, played the flute, was a womans man (or was it the otherway, anyway). He wrote poetry and probally was a painter aswell.

And he had the good grace to say at his final moment, " Oh, What an artist the world is losing..." Humble, eh!

Oh! His only fault was to be born in Rome 2000 years ago. In our days he would have been one of the worlds most famous ROCKSTARS.

8) :wink: :roll:

LOL, I remember hearing a story (pretty sure it was an ancient tale) that Nero traveled to some Roman province and forced people to hear him play his lyre. I believe it was an amphitheater, and the doors were locked ! It was said that people pretended to flop dead and were carried out of the amphitheater. Probably just lore, but a nice story nevertheless Smile . It was on a History Channel show, if I recall.

Andrew
Andrew James Beaton
Looking for ancient coins of Gallienus, Postumus, Victorinus, Tetricus I and II, and the Severan Era!
Quote:Constantine.

Constantine? Not to be an arguer here, but would you please explain why you think he is the greatest Emperor?

Personally, I have little to no respect for him. In fact, I think he is way overrated because of his "embrace of Christianity," which was really more of a political move than out of his sincere faith, so I have read.

Andrew

P.S. This post is not meant to offend, I'm just curious as to hear why.
Andrew James Beaton
Looking for ancient coins of Gallienus, Postumus, Victorinus, Tetricus I and II, and the Severan Era!
Quote: Probably just lore, but a nice story nevertheless

Quote:While he was singing no one was allowed to leave the theatre even for the most urgent reasons. And so it is said that some women gave birth to children there, while many who were worn out with listening and applauding, secretly leaped from the wall, since the gates at the entrance were closed, or feigned death and were carried out as if for burial.

You can read it all here:
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/R ... Nero*.html (yes, the asterisk messes up the URL)

Or in Latin:
http://www.gmu.edu/departments/fld/CLAS ... .nero.html
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Vespasian. Perhaps not the greatest but he certainly did a good job considering he didn't want the job. Also his putting down of the Jewish revolt was impressive although I believe his son was a main part In that as well.
Dave Bell/Secvndvs

Comitatus
[Image: comitatus.jpg]

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.comitatus.net">www.comitatus.net