Quote:I can help Big Grin
Blade length; 57.50cm.
Blade width; 7.00cm.
Blade thickness; 0.40-1.00cm.
Remaining hilt portion; 8.50cm.
I hope this is what you are after Big Grin
Regards Brennivs Big Grin

pier.....you missed this post of Tony's I think! :wink:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Dear Matt,

When in London years ago I was permitted to research the scabbard of the Tiberiussword in detail. I then found out that the thickness of the plates was very thin and that the plates were filled. A few weeks later the conservator of the BM told me they measured the thickness of the plates and that they were 0.06mm.

Maarten
Maarten Dolmans

Marcus Claudius Asclepiades

COHORS XV VOL. C. R.
CLASSIS AUGUSTA GERMANICA

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.paxromana.nl">www.paxromana.nl
Hi Maarten. I find that very interesting about the figures being filled for like yourself I also fill the relief figures that I do, infact I use Solder in the brass work which helps prevent them being crushed. I wonder did the BM give any details on just what the material was that filled these figures ?
Brian Stobbs
Hi Brian,

They said that the original was filled with tin solder. Thats why I also used tin.

Maarten
Maarten Dolmans

COHORS XV VOL. C. R.

avete Omnes

Marteen if you had possibility to have in you hand this sword,you know the exact measure if all the embossed plates? this in the top,the circumference of the medal and the measure of the point?

thank you in advance

Munazio
PierPaolo siercovich
Ah, very interesting Maarten- so rarely is important information such as metal thickness given that it's quite interesting to get first-hand data, thanks Smile 0.06mm seems so very ridiculously thin for a functional object, even if backed with solder- I have some sheet brass that's 0.12mm thick and it's just thick foil, hardly good for anything I'd thought. I'd actually have even found it hard to imagine the flat, silvered base plate being that thin.

Obviously yes, Brian, some few objects were made using thin sheet but on a supportive backing plate- the Pompeii balteus plates, or the embossed style Gladius pompeiiensis scabbard elements- however the Tiberius clearly has nothing behind it's locket section (judging by the holes), so it's not the same thing at all- there is no support for what is essentially foil that could be dented with the slightest knock. It's not exactly a likely expectation given the thicknesses of other scabbard elements either- the locket section of an earlier G. mainzensis type sword with pierced decoration I examined was on the order of 1.5mm thick and a G. pompeiiensis chape was 0.5-0.6mm thick. But the extreme thinness of the Tiberius certainly explains why there are no chasing marks on its obverse- there's certainly no way to make such clean decoration by hand in thicker metal without chasing and that always leaves telltale signs.
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
The dimentions I gave are all the extreme of the major measurements the narrowest parts of the blade were not given to me by the BM Cry I hope that is ok Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Hi Tony. I was trying to explain to PierPaolo about how the width of these swords come down from the top of the blade to the point.
Brian Stobbs
Thats no problem Brian Big Grin lol: :lol:
Regards Brennivs Big Grin lol:
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
avete omes

the problem my friends is that my english is orrible so for me is difficult to hundestand some words.maeby some immagine could help me ....maeby you will think that I am idiot... Big Grin I wolud like to know if the good measure is this of the first immagine or of the second

Thank You

Munazio
PierPaolo siercovich
Munazio your second picture is the right one from shoulders of the blade to point it is 57.50cm does not inclued the tang I hope this clears the length up for you Big Grin
<!-- l <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/download/file.php?id=4963">download/file.php?id=4963<!-- l
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Weird that my posting somehow did not come through..

[mod says: it did Henk-Jan. But I removed it. Read your PM!]

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
I wonder if anyone can explain just what is happening to the post being put forward by MARCvS, first it's in then it's out and it appears that the green type indicates there is a problem Why ?
Brian Stobbs
This ends. Here.

DO NOT PM HENK-JAN FOR EXPLANATIONS. PM THE MODS, AS THE RULES STIPULATE.

There will be no room on this forum for polemics between members or groups about issues outside this forum.

One member has asked me to remove information about him posted by another member. I have informed both members about actions taken and the reasons. End of story, the rest is a private matter to be dealt with outside of RAT.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I knew I had it somewhere, the exacte measurements of the Tiberiussword (info given by BM in 1999) are:
at schoulder: 7.5cm
at mid point of the blade: 6 cm; width of blade 4 mm
at point of start of taper: 5.5 cm: width of blade 4mm
(width of blade mid between shoulder and mid of blade: 8mm! (other info says 1.0cm)?
lenght of blade (shoulder to hip): 52 cm
total remaining length: 57.5cm

length scabbard 58,5cm
width scabbard: 8.7 cm

Maarten
Maarten Dolmans

COHORS XV VOL. C. R.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sword of Tiberius a tribute to Brian Stobbs Charlie 9 3,129 07-13-2015, 03:09 AM
Last Post: Charlie
  tiberius sword plates munazio planco 9 2,679 08-28-2010, 01:22 AM
Last Post: MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS
  Sword of Tiberius Nathan Ross 5 3,442 10-28-2006, 10:59 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar