Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I know that everyone has pondered this.
Quote:To do an accurate movie is gonna make it more like a boring 4 hour documentary.

Not necessarily, the movie "Gods and Generals" and "Gettysburg" were extremely accurate as well as fantastically entertaining. 8-)
Tyler

Undergrad student majoring in Social Studies Education with a specialty in world history.

"conare levissimus videri, hostes enimfortasse instrumentis indigeant"
(Try to look unimportant-the enemy might be low on ammunition).
Hire some people from Sardinia, they come closest to speaking Latin naturally. Go to the black Sea coast in Turkey and travel inland; there you will see beautifully wooded hills that can pass for the forests of Germania or Dacia.
To address Alanus' idea of a zombie movie, one actually was made many, many years ago, called "Electra". Romans were battling an eastern power (I have a VHS cassette somewhere from recording it off cable a long time ago), who use magic to raise the Roman dead, killed during earlier fighting in the movie, to fight the living Romans.

On a more serious note, I'd love to see M. C. Scott's Rome: The Eagle of the Twelfth made into a mini-series like Band of Brothers as it is sort of along the same line - probably could be told in a single season. It stands on its own merits as a story and doesn't need the others in the series to make sense.
Quinton Johansen
Marcus Quintius Clavus, Optio Secundae Pili Prioris Legionis III Cyrenaicae
I'd say screw doing the movie - I'd second the opinion that Colleen McCullough's Masters of Rome is where it's at. Yes, it does have a few issues that I'd hash out (incessant hero-worship of Caesar; too much political drama, not enough military action), but I don't think anything else has come close in terms of the historical fiction of ancient Rome (except I, Claudius which has already been done).

I'd make Masters of Rome into a HBO-style series...it would probably provide 10-15 seasons worth of material (if properly abridged, of course :-) ).
Alexander
So what are your opinions of Spartacus?

I think it might oversimplify. There's ongoing controversy over the number of slaves in Italia, and over their importance in the economy, and over conflicting goals among the rebels, not to mention the military campaigns get compressed together. But if one were to move from movie to mini-series, all that could add to the story, with Spartacus trying to keep the different rebel groups from breaking apart, and [if one prefers the heroic approach] trying to prevent the opportunistic murder of poor farmers on the way.
Quote:To address Alanus' idea of a zombie movie, one actually was made many, many years ago, called "Electra". Romans were battling an eastern power (I have a VHS cassette somewhere from recording it off cable a long time ago), who use magic to raise the Roman dead, killed during earlier fighting in the movie, to fight the living Romans.
Sounds like the trapped-in-development-hell Mortis Rex, a monster movie set on Hadrian's Wall (and apparently now being filmed in New Zealand...).
To Quintius, Robert, and all

My tongue-in-cheek posts simply tried to capture the "Hollywood venue," what it takes to gain a following at the box-office. It's all about monetary gain upon your investment; and if all of us Roman buffs were given a truly accurate movie, our total box-office shell-out couldn't recoup 1% of the studio's investment. Maybe it doesn't boil down to "nobody cares" about historical accuracy, but rather "not your average PAYING movie-goer."

I think of Akira Kurisawa who directed some reasonably accurate historical films, like The Seven Samuri. Eventually, he was spurned in Japan for his "purist" approach. He was then invited to Russia to film Dersu Uzala, another realistic film in the historical vein. That movie, because it was a collaboration and off-beat subject, did make a little moola after several recent box-office failures. But there was a lesson there: the general public (which supports the Industry) wants more than "accuracy." They want vampires, flying Chinese women, and blood-baths. :whistle:
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
The resistance of Numantia.
Roger
Quote:Instead of trying to be ultra-realistic, I would go in the opposite direction and have my film be about a zombie outbreak in Rome. It is pretty hard to mess up anything that has zombies in it.

That's a great idea. Done in the style of Bruce Campbell VS. The Army of the Dead, complete with POV arrows, plus homages to The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Young Frankenstein, and The Jabberwokky. Have EVERYONE wear wristers, including the children. Make sure each costume DOES NOT fit the TIME PERIOD... and you will have a blockbuster top-selling Roman movie. I'd really like so see something like this filmed because I really enjoy a good laugh.
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
Two things spring to mind as subjects:

(1) The story of the Gracii - a true tragedy in both cases.
(2) The Claudian invasion of Britain, possibly leading up to the betrayal and capture of Caradog (which is what we call him here in Wales - Cambria!)

But, if you just want a fantasy piece - "Horatio on the Bridge" would be good - "For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his gods"!

If the budget is 'unlimited, then authentic costumes and weapon are a must. Compare (how not to do it) with 'Gladiator' and the costumes therein, a perfectly good movie ruined by ridiculous props and costumes.

Mike Thomas
visne scire quod credam? credo orbes volantes exstare.
Lots of bloody battle massacres crucifixions nudity sex chariot races riots murder poisonings I Claudius on steroids
John Kaler MSG, USA Retired
Member Legio V (Tenn, USA)
Staff Member Ludus Militus https://www.facebook.com/groups/671041919589478/
Owner Vicus and Village: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361968853851510/
Well, I think as long as you don't try to shoot it all in one take, you'll do okay.

I like myths and prehistoric roots, and my instinctive topic would have to be Romulus and Remus. The story has a rather fairytale feel, and that could work well with the exotic look of the Villanovan Latins living in the rolling green hills where Rome will one day stand, and misty, primordial European forest. Only problem in my mind is that for the typical modern audience there'd be nothing familiarly Roman about the film's look.
Dan D'Silva

Far beyond the rising sun
I ride the winds of fate
Prepared to go where my heart belongs,
Back to the past again.

--  Gamma Ray

Well, I'm tough, rough, ready and I'm able
To pick myself up from under this table...

--  Thin Lizzy

Join the Horde! - http://xerxesmillion.blogspot.com/
Quote:Lots of bloody battle massacres crucifixions nudity sex chariot races riots murder poisonings I Claudius on steroids
let's have Caesar murdered, but resurrected as a zombie, wreaking havoc and bloody murder on his murderers, then their relatives, then everyone until a hero stops him.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Octavian strikes him down with his flashing [strike]lightsaber[/strike] gladius. As he crumbles into dust, Zombie Caesar regains his mind and confers the [strike]kingship[/strike] consulship on his nephew.
Dan D'Silva

Far beyond the rising sun
I ride the winds of fate
Prepared to go where my heart belongs,
Back to the past again.

--  Gamma Ray

Well, I'm tough, rough, ready and I'm able
To pick myself up from under this table...

--  Thin Lizzy

Join the Horde! - http://xerxesmillion.blogspot.com/
Quote:Scenario: Hollywood calls you at your house to direct a Roman epic. You have a huge budget, can hire anyone, and have total creative control. How do you proceed?

I would fire anyone for stereotyping the Romans who would only as much as mention the lorica segmentata. Generally, I would try to be uncompromising wherever the authenticity of the Roman look is concerned and would try to put the emphasis on the plot and character development rather than trying to impress with special effects and mass deployments. So no popcorn but intelligent cinema.

..And then at the box office I would go broke. Big Grin
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)