Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reenacting 9AD
and since we base the whole 'Kalkriese segmentata' on a shoulderplate and now a collar plate, we really can't prove that it wasn't a hamata hybrid or only partial shoulder protection until we actually find a complete set, no matter how many cool 'replicas' people sell. :roll:
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Quote:and since we base the whole 'Kalkriese segmentata' on a shoulderplate and now a collar plate, we really can't prove that it wasn't a hamata hybrid or only partial shoulder protection until we actually find a complete set, no matter how many cool 'replicas' people sell. :roll:

Ave Charles,

don't forget the single hinges finds. Perhaps another mutation: a Kalkriese hybrid hamata mainly made of hinges and loops instead of rings 8)
Greetings from germania incognita

Heiko (Cornelius Quintus)

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Basically, it means you can be fairly imaginative, and not get shot out of the woods for being incorrect! Big Grin wink:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
then you can have a metal / leather Kalkriese hybrid? Nope, we don't do imaginative, if we are being serious, we wait and base or reconstructions on artifacts...... well, at least some groups do..... :roll:

I find Michael Simkins reconsctruction as a hybrid hamata just as possible as the full segmentata postulated elsewhere. Until we find one or the other, it won't be possible to have a 'real replica', unless we only copy the exact pieces that have been found.
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Quote:then you can have a metal / leather Kalkriese hybrid? Nope, we don't do imaginative, if we are being serious, we wait and base or reconstructions on artifacts...... well, at least so me groups do..... :roll:

Hmmmmm.......why do some people seem to equate imaginative with being stupid? Must be the way I tell 'em! :lol: :lol:

I figure I can be extremely imaginative without doing anything that stupid, but then that is just me....... :wink:

So what is the Kalkriese segmentata based on, other than conjecture, a breast plate, and a few fittings........? Imagining what the rest would have looked like....... Smile correct me if I am wrong!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
What type of plates for the belt would be apporiate?

Ring motif or Reupublican style plates?

Could this be something that could be either since at this time the segmentata was coming into light.

Could I have a double belt but with ring motif, or have one with the ring motif plates and the other belt with republican style plates? Since the belt was really a show of wealth and individaulity?
Joshua B. Davis

Marius Agorius Donatus Minius Germanicus
Optio Centuriae
Legio VI FFC, Cohors Flavus
[url:vat9d7f9]http://legvi.tripod.com[/url]

"Do or do not do, their is no try!" Yoda
Well, if I ever do get to that impression, I plan on two Republican style belts, with the kalkriese seg....A big IF tho....oneday! :lol:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
This is with the Hamata
Joshua B. Davis

Optio Centuriae

Very good! A hamata is the plan for a Centurio impression, but I still like the idea of the seg too.... just commenting!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Could this be something that could be either since at this time the segmentata was coming into light.

Could I have a double belt but with ring motif, or have one with the ring motif plates and the other belt with republican style plates? Since the belt was really a show of wealth and individaulity?

For my own impression of a similar (slightly later) period I have opted for twin belts, one in the slightly narrower Republican style which will carry the pugio and early style apron (lots of narrow strips with many studs), and one with wider style embossed plates (wolf and twins) carrying the gladius. The reasoning here is a transition between styles. In discussion with Matt Lukes he suggested the idea that the older Republican style belt could perhaps be a family heirloom ("my father's old belt"), and combined with the newer style wider belts. All conjecture of course, but quite reasonable I think.
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Quote:
Quote:Could this be something that could be either since at this time the segmentata was coming into light.

For my own impression of a similar (slightly later) period I have opted for twin belts, one in the slightly narrower Republican style which will carry the pugio and early style apron (lots of narrow strips with many studs), and one with wider style embossed plates (wolf and twins) carrying the gladius. The reasoning here is a transition between styles. In discussion with Matt Lukes he suggested the idea that the older Republican style belt could perhaps be a family heirloom ("my father's old belt"), and combined with the newer style wider belts. All conjecture of course, but quite reasonable I think.

That is the reasoning (excuse)I use for wearing one republican style belt with my segmentata at the moment! :lol: An heirloom from my father/grandfather!!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Entirely reasonable IMHO :lol:
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
That and I just like the contrast between the brass plates and the steel of the seg...... Big Grin 8)
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I like that idea!

Where can you find republican belt plates?
Joshua B. Davis

Optio Centuriae

Quote:I like that idea!

Where can you find republican belt plates?

Iam currently working on one myself. I am making very simple silver plated brass plates with no decoration. They are approx. 1x2 inches, and 16 gauge thick. The belt will have a very simple silver buckle, and no apron. However I will fringe the tounge so it has some decoration possible with tips.
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.