Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New evidence for annihilation of Ninth Legion in Britain?
It's too bad the Britons didn't erect a monument to their victory. That would have simplified things, wouldn't it?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:It's too bad the Britons didn't erect a monument to their victory. That would have simplified things, wouldn't it?
They did one better...they made a movie about it...its all there, Brigantine woman, charming witches bewitching the Roman soldiery.....no one can be in any doubt now.... :roll:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:
M. Demetrius:3h0piz6b Wrote:It's too bad the Britons didn't erect a monument to their victory. That would have simplified things, wouldn't it?
They did one better...they made a movie about it...its all there, Brigantine woman, charming witches bewitching the Roman soldiery.....no one can be in any doubt now.... :roll:

No-one should let facts prevent few hours of mindless entertainment. :mrgreen:

After all, I enjoy Rome, Gladiator, 300 etc. a lot even when I know they are not "entirely historical", to put it mildly. :mrgreen:
(Mika S.)

"Odi et amo. Quare id faciam, fortasse requiris? Nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior." - Catullus -

"Nemo enim fere saltat sobrius, nisi forte insanit."

"Audendo magnus tegitur timor." -Lucanus-
Quote:After all, I enjoy Rome, Gladiator, 300 etc. a lot even when I know they are not "entirely historical"
No, hold on there. There was a city named Rome, and there were gladiators in it. The Romans frequently used the word maximus, there was, indeed, and emperor named Commodus, and Marcus Aurelius looked just like Peter O'Toole, 6*50 is always 300 (in base ten, anyway) and for what it's worth, maybe Xerxes wore a Speedo and gold paint. Nobody can be sure about everything.

Back on topic: I'm sure I read somewhere that the 9th was stationed on the Continent quite some time after the Boudicca revolt, and it seems like it was in Germania, but I can't remember the source. Maybe after the sun comes up, my brain will be more functional. Or maybe not.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:Back on topic: I'm sure I read somewhere that the 9th was stationed on the Continent quite some time after the Boudicca revolt, and it seems like it was in Germania, but I can't remember the source. Maybe after the sun comes up, my brain will be more functional. Or maybe not.
That's the tile-stamp(s) from Nijmegen. Why manufacture roofing tiles unless you're planning to be there for a while?! Big Grin
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Gaius Julius Caesar:17rj973z Wrote:
M. Demetrius:17rj973z Wrote:It's too bad the Britons didn't erect a monument to their victory. That would have simplified things, wouldn't it?

No-one should let facts prevent few hours of mindless entertainment. :mrgreen:

After all, I enjoy Rome, Gladiator, 300 etc. a lot even when I know they are not "entirely historical", to put it mildly. :mrgreen:

The problem is the movie lacked depth. Despite the historical inaccuracies, there was just too little of it.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:The problem is the movie lacked depth. Despite the historical inaccuracies, there was just too little of it.

Ouch!

I think I'll wait it to come out as DVD then. 8)
(Mika S.)

"Odi et amo. Quare id faciam, fortasse requiris? Nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior." - Catullus -

"Nemo enim fere saltat sobrius, nisi forte insanit."

"Audendo magnus tegitur timor." -Lucanus-
Lots of talk here about how the Ninth was lost in Scotland....
http://www.romanscotland.org.uk/pages/c ... gion_1.asp
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
All will be revealed in Ancient Warfare IV.5 (Oct/Nov, 2010) ... well, almost all (pressure of space!) :wink:
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:Lots of talk here about how the Ninth was lost in Scotland....
http://www.romanscotland.org.uk/pages/c ... gion_1.asp
I saw that site reviewed here: http://antoninuspius.blogspot.com/
** Vincula/Lucy **
One has only to read the Roman Scotland link to see the logical weakness of Lindsey's argument, regardless of whatever merit his sources may have. With preconceived notions like his, he should have not trouble "proving" that Scotland was a great colonial power and is now the epitome of economic might.

On the other hand, I'm not a big fan of "accepted wisdom", often a pseudo-justification for whatever is old.

Neither oldness nor newness per se offer any support for the validity of any theory.
"Fugit irreparabile tempus" (Irrecoverable time glides away) Virgil

Ron Andrea
Quote:Maybe there is some tide of academic opinion returning to a view that the British were more independent (culturally and politically) under Roman rule - a view that I do not share, btw - but so far I have not seen any evidence of any turning academic tide when it comes to the descruction of VIIII Hispana on British soil. Much less that 'strong evidence' quoted in that book!

Robert

Where is this tide ... I wouldn't mind a few references please as I like to read all theories, even the off the wall ones?

Regards

Conal
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
I've compiled a list of Ninth legion reading material here:

[url:19u88qdf]http://rosscowan.wordpress.com/ninth-legion/[/url]

I look forward to adding Duncan's AW article. Smile

Cheers,

R
Quote:I've compiled a list of Ninth legion reading material here:

[url:3rr1sz00]http://rosscowan.wordpress.com/ninth-legion/[/url]

I look forward to adding Duncan's AW article. Smile

Cheers,

R

Thanks for that, Ross. You've got to wonder why the producers didn't just use the actual military disaster known to history in 9 CE as the backdrop instead of a make-believe one. I guess they were just trying to stay faithful to Sutcliffe's book? (That might actually be a first for the Hollywood...) Or maybe they figured there would be more talk about the movie if they picked a controversial date.
"...atque ubi solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant."

????? ???? ?\' ?????...(J. Feicht)
Quote:Thanks for that, Ross. You've got to wonder why the producers didn't just use the actual military disaster known to history in 9 CE as the backdrop instead of a make-believe one. I guess they were just trying to stay faithful to Sutcliffe's book? (That might actually be a first for the Hollywood...) Or maybe they figured there would be more talk about the movie if they picked a controversial date.

I've not seen The Eagle yet, but I can assure you that Centurion is nothing at all like Sutcliffe's book. Neither, as far as I'm aware, does it claim to be, I suppose. I think it's just a film based on the idea that the 9th came to grief at the hands of us blue painted savages in "the north".

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Destruction Evidence for the Fall of Roman Britain? Nathan Ross 2 1,370 04-13-2018, 09:11 AM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  First evidence for Julius Caesar's invasion of Britain discovered kavan 1 1,342 11-29-2017, 02:59 PM
Last Post: Renatus
  The Roman Ninth legion (Legio Nona Hispana) Pons Aelius 8 2,770 04-30-2014, 01:39 PM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius