Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please Tell Me This is a April Fools Joke?
Quote:This discussion is about Roman views on Religio, also the early forms of Christianity apply.

we all know why they were persecuted.

so........... what is there to watch?
Try to follow the discussion guys! :twisted: The thread is (was) watched because Israel, Muslims, and the Holocaust were briefly discussed. That's modern, so that was the reason.

Happy now? :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
let me refrase.... this discussion turned into

et cetera et cetera et cetera.......

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
:?:
somehow I get the feeling the is was discussed in another thread, and another, and another..... and the moderators watched them all...
Happy Weekend, of whatever flavor.
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
BEDAANKT VOOR DIE BLOEMEEE!!

(Dutch sentence Pope JPII used to say every year in his Urbi et orbi speach)

means, thanx for the flowers.... (the Dutch provide all flowers for the easter celebration at the St. Peter square......you know where there used to be a lovely park and we had dinner parties with lovely garden candles!!!!)

wondering VIZ VICH ACCENT the new one will speak out that message coming sunday.........

i do not care if he is Pope or not, he fired shells towards allied warplanes and their crews who were trying to knock the Nazis out of existence.........

where JPII saved a Jewish girl from a transport leading to Auschwitz, and did his fair bit of resistance, Ratzenflatz, as i call him did not do anything but help the Nazi war-effort (even if he was "misguided")

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:mister Hitlerjugend Flakhelferjugend
Oké, zo kan 'ie wel weer. :wink: (good-natured, untranslatable Dutch reproach)
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Indeed. The next one will be less good natured, HJ...
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
mea culpa..........

post slightly edited....... anyway, easter is a nice festivity, and very ancient too!!

According to St. Bede, an English historian of the early 8th century, Easter owes its origin to the old Teutonic mythology. It was derived from the name Eostre, the Anglo-Saxon goddess of spring, to whom the month of April was dedicated. The festival of Eostre was celebrated at the vernal equinox, when the day and night gets an equal share of the day.

she was often depicted with an egg and a hare next to her..........

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
At this period every ancient culture had some festivity.
So all of you have a good time.

Kind regards
Quote:wondering VIZ VICH ACCENT the new one will speak out that message coming sunday.........
Oh, how extremely smart of you! You noticed, that english is not his mothertongue? Confusedhock: Ahh, what a better place this planet were, if we all would be able to speak english without accent! *sigh*

Quote:i do not care if he is Pope or not, he fired shells towards allied warplanes and their crews who were trying to knock the Nazis out of existence.........
Where´s the point in this statement? That he is an evil devil? What do you want to express?

Quote:where JPII saved a Jewish girl from a transport leading to Auschwitz, and did his fair bit of resistance, Ratzenflatz, as i call him did not do anything but help the Nazi war-effort (even if he was "misguided")

Ahh, now I see:
Giving other people funny names is so admirably grown up and civilized. It really supports your well put and severly thought-through argument. Having read this, I cannot other than being utterly convinced by these theses and fully support you. Begone, Nazi-Pope! Down to the deepest ravines of hell with him!
I now can even see that deep evil stare of that 16-year old force-drafted boy:
[Image: 0,1020,462274,00.jpg]
He seems so happy about his flakhelfing, just eager to shoot some allied bombers out of the air! How proudly he wears his well-fitting uniform! a real Bilderbuch-Nazi!

Thanks, M.VIB.M., that you opened my eyes, I really am so awesomely happy to have board-fellows who write such extremely well researched, brillantly argued, and amazingly bright comments on this forum. Smile I am truly your humble supporter.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
As the forum nutter, i must from time to time do unspeakable things...

sorry if i have offended you.........

(i also know that most of the force drafted boys were just very unfortunate)

And Herrn Ratzinger of course could not help it either, i know......

he looks better in uniform i must say...

i did like his speach today however... but i am not, nor will i ever become a fan of the Vatican, The Church, and all of its institutions...

Growing up as Roman Catholic i changed to Roman age 16, and became a pagan.

anyway frohes oster!

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:As the forum nutter, i must from time to time do unspeakable things
Errrm. So you KNOW you make statements of a certain quality, and nonetheless make them? *puzzled*

Quote:but i am not, nor will i ever become a fan of the Vatican, The Church, and all of its institutions...

See, I´m baptized Lutheran. But in fact I´m rather a humanist, I guess. Smile I stay in the church, because it would make my grandmother and my mother very sad if I left it. I have no reason to "protect" the pope or his interests.

It´s not so much that I have a problem with someone criticizing the pope, the church or christianity. It´s just HOW you did it, and what you said. If someone wants to criticize the pope, this should be done by what the pope says about religion, the church, christianity etc. Criticizing ANYONE (even the pope) by mocking his dialect, his origin, his race, a handicap, and everything else that has actually nothing to with the persona itself, is utterly wrong, and basically a fascistic mindsetting. The mental procedere behind it is the same as beating a dog because it is too small or killing people because they have e.g. long noses, or saying Hitler was an @55hole because he was Austrian. Well he was, but not for that reason. Quite manifold possibilities, one has there. And such a mindsetting is one I really don´t like. And it is one that shall not be colportated on this forum: Rule 1, Rule 2, Rule 3 were violated by your initial posting, all at once. As it is now, it´s rules 1&2 still.
Hence my reaction.

In fact this pope is far better than the reputation he has in many countries. I highly recommend you to read one or two of his books. It´s worth the time. He is also, what most people don´t know, personally familiar /"friends" with many contemporary philosophers, and quite respected in their circles. Should make you think.

Happy Easter to you as well, H.J.

This is out of the world now, I guess. Nonetheless, it would be really smart of you to avoid postings of such a quality in the future.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Willdo.......

BTW i am interested in his new book, even though it is not about the historical Jesus as such.........

i think i sometimes am getting too deep in a misantropic mindset.........

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:
hoplite14gr:2nh20xjd Wrote:Considering what "hot-potato" issues we had discussed in "make you land like ours" thread in this section I believe a very well behaved forum.
I do no think that we have given the admins reason to worry too much Smile

Kind regards

Stefanos, I was thinking the very same thing. Considering the behavior I see in other message boards, this place has the best behaved posters I've ever corresponded with.

Cheers!

Very true....things are getting totally out of hand..
I watched a video on YouTube, Scottish history accompanied by a Runrig song (how I found it)....the comments thread ending up with threats of battle between a Scot and an Englishman ... even down to a public house to meet in! Bannockburn again...! (looking at the latest comments, I think it will be Bannockburn...!)
Too many people turn to abusive messages and threats, instead of (even angry) discussion
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
discussion always is best.......

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
Noooo...sex and yummy food is always best. And a good night of watching your favorite tv shows.

Legion: TBD

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Joke thread Sigurdrifa 6 1,729 02-17-2015, 09:45 PM
Last Post: Sigurdrifa
  3rd to 4th Century Roman Joke Book Vitruvius 4 1,448 08-15-2013, 02:44 PM
Last Post: Vitruvius
  This is kinda a joke, but it\'s gettin to me~! Titus Marius Secundus 16 3,932 08-08-2011, 05:30 PM
Last Post: Crispvs