Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Swastikas, Roman Gear, modern reenactment (cont from market)
I do not think you can present that reconstruction anywhere.
Kind regards
Quote:I do not think you can present that reconstruction anywhere.
Kind regards

What doyou mean?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:
hoplite14gr:1r98x11z Wrote:I do not think you can present that reconstruction anywhere.
Kind regards

What doyou mean?

Can you imagine anyone marching wit that shleld reconstructed at any event? Not likely. In the best of chances he will try to explain that he is not a member of any political party. The other option we see in the media.
In other words as Jim Bowers suggested better carry the coat of arms of the Isle of Man

Kind regards :lol:
:lol: ok i see what you mean. I thought you were talking about the pot itself.... :oops: :? oops: :lol:

No, I definately wouldn't want to be carrying that on a shield! Confusedhock:

A tiny one on a pugio could be explained, but that would be too provocative, I would say!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Come on guys! This is a very interesting discussion lets leave firearms out of it. Its Old Hat, and many of us have contrasting opinions on this. Thanks!
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
I have avoided this topic as I had doubts that there was anything of worth that I could add to the discussion. However, the flow of the discussion has caused me to ponder once again the nature of evil and our changing perception of it.

The central question that keeps coming up in this thread seems to be: Can we reclaim a symbol from those who besmirched it and restore it to its original meaning?

In Japan you will find maps with the swastika on it denoting the location of Buddhist Temples. They were using that symbol long before Hitler (or his parents, or his grand parents for that matter) was even born. That the Nazi’s used it was of small consequence to the Buddhists as they had been using it for much longer.

Even so the Japanese and the Chinese are sensitive to its use, and, for that matter, the use of the SS runes. You see this in the fact that on toys of WWII vehicles and action figures these symbols are either absent or covered up. Of course, there are good economic reasons for doing so as they do want their products to sell in Europe were the display of these symbols is strictly regulated.

Here in the West the situation is somewhat trickier, and yet symbols can be reclaimed.

Allow me to go “way outâ€
David Reinke
Burbank CA
:?: :?: :?: :?:

Sorry? Gee, nice castle......Sorry? Gee, nice castle........Sorry?..... :lol:

Yeah, I don't want to get this threadsplit again!

Sorry, your post snuck in there before mine David, wasn't belittleing you r comments!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
NARUKAMI!!!!

TENNO HEIKA BANZAII!!

finally someone who makes sense! agree totally with your ideas!!!

M.VIB.M.

(ps the only reason why i brought guns in the equasion was to show that it is indeed up to the person " upholding" the law and his or her particular mood that day)
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Doo itasimasite, Marcus-san.

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
You make some good points.

Quote:In Japan you will find maps with the swastika on it denoting the location of Buddhist Temples. They were using that symbol long before Hitler (or his parents, or his grand parents for that matter) was even born. That the Nazi’s used it was of small consequence to the Buddhists as they had been using it for much longer.

Indeed, we've established that the symbol is thousands of years old.

Quote:Of course, there are good economic reasons for doing so as they do want their products to sell in Europe were the display of these symbols is strictly regulated.
Typical. We are sensitive about something but when it earns us money we turn a blind eye. :?

Narukami\\n[quote]when we hear the word “Storm Trooperâ€
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Absolutely. For my son (6) they will probably not carry that association, which is why my point at the start of this thread was that we cannot use these symbols, unfortunately, because these associations are (rightly or wrongly) still alive among our audience. Use them if you will, but not in a public performance, is my advice.

I think this is much more of an issue in Europe than America because we have less of a direct connection to WWII because the fighting did not happen on our soil.

Certainly some people would see the symbol and become upset but likely they would ask why we are using the symbol as it would be out of context for the American perception and then education on the history of the symbol can happen.

Like I said we have WWII German reenactors here who march around with SS uniforms and swastikas; WWII does not hold the same power over people here as it does in Europe.
James Barker
Legio XIIII Martia Victrix
Yes, I think the attitude towards swastika and other symbols varies between Europa and America (think about Mel Brooks comedies etc.). Then again here in Finland our air-forces had a blue swastika as an emblem until the fifties and several medals had it too.

Nowadays we are not so "touchy" about the subject. What do you think about this joke in a tv comedy series, the plot is every time the same, people are trying to quess the nationality of the performers on the video and the answer is every time "Canada":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_1vX-8uUUk
I don`t think every european country would show this :wink: ...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Thank you Valerius, for keeping me on the “straight & narrowâ€
David Reinke
Burbank CA
When I was at Special Forces Training Group at Ft. Bragg in the late 60s there was a big wall sign in one of the buildings that defined our mission. One phrase has always stuck in my mind. It said: "The Special Forces soldier is an elite storm trooper."
Pecunia non olet
When I was at Jump School at Ft. Benning in 1975 the instructors there said much the same thing to us, saying that when they were finished with us we would be tougher than the Waffen-SS. Confusedhock:

But then you know the instructors at Jump School -- they just love hyperbole. :wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New "Roman" Abomination on the market jkaler48 3 1,254 08-26-2010, 10:44 PM
Last Post: Dithrambus
  New Releases of Roman Movies on the Market (VHS, DVD, etc.) Restitvtvs 1 1,121 10-06-2006, 03:03 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat