Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lorica Segmentata / common error
Quote:The guy on the right looks like late Medieval, perhaps even Civil War--like the infantry of Cromweels' new army?

Almost. If you know where Haltwhistle is that might give you a clue to the guy's identity. The location is of course in the picture just to help you out!

Thanks for posting Robert.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Ummm. It's in Northumberland near Hadrian's Wall, but I found no clues to the second man's identity, even on the Haltwhistle website.
"Fugit irreparabile tempus" (Irrecoverable time glides away) Virgil

Ron Andrea
He is a Border Riever, Ron.

Quote:The guy on the left looks great (except, of course, for the crest).

What is wrong with the crest, Ron? It is a standard front to back type, just viewed directly from the front.

Graham.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
I thought the common legionnaire--the type who would be assigned garrison duty on Hadrian's Wall--had no crest. Only special unit, such as the Praetorian Guards, wore crests. Am I wrong . . . again? Confusedhock:

Ron Andrea
Hi Ron

Well you have neatly got us back on thread. i.e Misconceptions. Of course you are right, at that period they should all have a ring on the top of their helmet like Trajan's Column or in Asterix! see top picture. Smile

The figure could however be a legionary from the earlier Stanegate frontier period. In fact shown as an optio, because of the knobbed staff and wax tablets because we all know they carried both as part of their official uniform. In fact if you could see more of the crest we could probably all see that it is in fact black and white because we all know every optio had one of those. :wink:

Graham.

With his steil bonnet and targe, the guy on the right looks like a Border Reiver.
Pecunia non olet
Quote:Hi Ron

Well you have neatly got us back on thread. i.e Misconceptions. Of course you are right, at that period they should all have a ring on the top of their helmet like Trajan's Column or in Asterix! see top picture. Smile

The figure could however be a legionary from the earlier Stanegate frontier period. In fact shown as an optio, because of the knobbed staff and wax tablets because we all know they carried both as part of their official uniform. In fact if you could see more of the crest we could probably all see that it is in fact black and white because we all know every optio had one of those. :wink:

Graham.

You're absolutely right. And, maybe, feathers, too? I can't believe I missed that. Apparently, Haltwhistle's Roman was well-researched by someone.

Border Reiver works for me, too.

(Asterix is my favorite non-Roman. :wink: )

Ron Andrea
Quote:The man on the right looks like a Spanish conquistador. Then again if it is late Roman there may be things that I do not know about.
I surely hope you realised I was joking there.

I love that 'centre of Britain'! Talk about self-confidence.. Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:I love that 'centre of Britain'! Talk about self-confidence.. Big Grin

Well they mean the geographical centre of Britain, but even then it is not straightforward and is disputed - with our crinkly, island-spattered coastline it all depends where you measure it from! Does have a rather good bookshop, though, which has featured in some of my Abebooks purchases over the years.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Quote:Haltwhistle ... The location is of course in the picture just to help you out!
Twice, in fact. Once quietly, AND ONCE LOUDLY! (D'you think maybe they're proud to be the centre of Britain?)
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
I think the idea of Legionary uniformity gained it's popularity in pop culture, and was continued from there. No different than our perceptions of how the army performed drill (ie the roman army was disciplined, therefore they must move and drill like contemporary armies).

So I blame pop culture, whether it's a movie, book, tv show or other media format. If no one challenges it, it's far easier to be lazy and continue the stereotype.

Legion: TBD
Like that old adage about much of what we think we know isn't so.

Ron Andrea
It's strange. When I was a kid as a gift I was given a picture book called "Roman legionaries at the time of Julius Caesar". This contained pictures of legionaries wearing all the correct late republican period kit. I'd never seen, or even thought about, Roman soldiers before these so my abiding impression was of men in montefortinos and mail shirts with the big "Fayum" style body shields. They're still what immediately comes to mind when I think of a generic "Roman soldier"! :oops:

+++ Harry +++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Ramming speed!"
Hello, my name is Harry.
Quote:It's strange. When I was a kid as a gift I was given a picture book called "Roman legionaries at the time of Julius Caesar". This contained pictures of legionaries wearing all the correct late republican period kit. I'd never seen, or even thought about, Roman soldiers before these so my abiding impression was of men in montefortinos and mail shirts with the big "Fayum" style body shields. They're still what immediately comes to mind when I think of a generic "Roman soldier"! :oops:
Well, Harry, they were the last of the real Romans, after all.... :wink: :mrgreen:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Well, Harry, they were the last of the real Romans, after all.... :wink: :mrgreen:
OI!! Confusedhock:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  About the three types of armor Lorica Segmentata? Leoshenlong 2 663 04-21-2021, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Crispianus
  New find of lorica segmentata mcbishop 18 3,395 11-21-2020, 02:05 PM
Last Post: Simplex
  why lorica segmentata uses very thin hinges? Leoshenlong 3 713 10-27-2020, 05:31 PM
Last Post: Leoshenlong