Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unveiling My Officer\'s Sword...
Well here we go guys. I haven't been able to be in the shop for two weeks now. I am restless. So, I thought I would just go ahead and unveil the Officer's Sword I am making... before the Scabbard is done.

I know many of you are steeped in "Historical Accuracy" and to make something you must "Prove" somehow it once existed... either in literature, an archeological discovery or in art. Well... Since I am not able to be historically accurate, I "Present" this work as "INSPIRED BY..."

I can take a "Good Critique" as long as it is constructive. But if you want to criticize, then I would as that you keep that to yourself. I am making this Officer's Kit with a theme or a motif in mind for my particular Impression.

The Hilt is made in 4 pieces. The Pommel and Grip are one piece and the Guard is 3 pieces with a Brass Guard Plate inlaid into the guard. The entire Hilt is made from Elk Antler... (My only substitute for Ivory) It is Harder then Marble! It killed some of my carving tools because of it's hardness.

I am available for hire or commission, Contact me through a Private Message. All of my works are for sale... (however this one is mine... unless someone convinces me otherwise $$$)

It hilt was "inspired by" the Grande Ludovisi Sarcophagus Pictured here, on the hip of this Officer.
[attachment=10465]4197204450_09737a9b45.jpg[/attachment]

The Hilt was "Inspired by" this Archeological Discovery"
[attachment=10466]IMG_2414.PNG[/attachment]

[attachment=10467]IMG_3167.jpg[/attachment]
My Officer's Sword I call it the "RHEMA"

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[attachment=10468]IMG_3169.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=10469]IMG_3171.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=10470]IMG_3174.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=10471]IMG_3175.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=10472]IMG_3217.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=10473]IMG_3194.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=10474]IMG_3195.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=10475]IMG_3199.jpg[/attachment]

Great carving work! You won't get any critiques from me. Just because we don't have a sword from the ground that has that hilt doesn't matter to me. The fact that it is based on pictorial evidence with some archeological evidence is excellent. A great way to keep this sword grounded in true Roman style without going down the rabbit hole of "fantasy".
Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]
Awesome work as usual Patrick! Can't wait till my sword is finally done!
Killin' it! Youre an amazing carver Ill give you that. Great job basing it off of an archeological find. I agree we dont have to dig up the original with the exact same hilt to call it "historically accurate." Very good sir
Underhill Edge

Hand forged edged tools, blades, and functioning historical reproductions.

underhilledge.com

Jack McAuliffe
Fantastic work mate! I love seeing these objects of beauty come back to life...
Alexander
Superb bit of work Patrick, I have no doubt that a hilt like that was made. For someone to carve out a hilt like that they must have seen it to included it. Again excellent work Big Grin
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Wow, that is some spectacular carving! Well done, poetry in antler!
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Absolutly Masterpiece!
PierPaolo siercovich
that means a lot coming from you Munazio... I admire your work!
Patrick, it's an amazing work! I now know who to ask for a commission if i need something carved!
Eduardo Vázquez
You really do have to be complimented on your excellent carving skills. You choice of materials to use was also excellent, as I have no doubt that these natural materials were often used. You brother legionnaires who do your own work have been an inspiration to me in my projects. If you have the will, you can do it. Keep up the good work and keep us posted.
Manius Acilius Italicus
Bob
Manius Acilius Italicus
Robert C. I totally agree with you! I believe that if you can "see" it in your mind's eye... then you can achieve it!
Thank you for the compliments Guys! Can't wait to finish the scabbard and then post pics.

--Patrick
There is but one word to describe your work...MAGNIFICENT!

Any Roman general would quickly add this sword to his armament.

Publius Quinctius Petrus Augustinus
(aka Pierre A. Kleff, Jr.)
Petrus Augustinus