Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Education: should it have a specific forum?
Over on FB RAT I posted an article from Caroline Lawrence about some school kids in England who had made a Celtic round house as a lesson in Iron Age building and living. It is a combination of experimental archaeology and reenactment.

Also over on FB Prof Molly Ayn Jones-Lewis of Univ of Maryland teaches ancient warfare by kitting the students out as Romans and Carthaginians to reenact the battle of Cannae. 

Both 'hands on' examples seem to me to be ideal ways to encourage study of history, Roman and otherwise, and should be encouraged in curricula. 

But on RAT, we don't' have a specific forum for education topics. Is a new forum warranted for this topic or should it be included in another one which could be renamed?
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
How do you determine which threads are "educational" and which are not? I like to think that every thread on RAT is an education topic.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
(12-31-2015, 09:30 PM)Dan Howard Wrote: How do you determine which threads are "educational" and which are not? I like to think that every thread on RAT is an education topic.

Yes, they are educational, but not about educating. The round house idea was an activity to instill interest in students that hopefully lasts longer than book only .
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
(01-01-2016, 04:01 PM)richsc Wrote:
(12-31-2015, 09:30 PM)Dan Howard Wrote: How do you determine which threads are "educational" and which are not? I like to think that every thread on RAT is an education topic.

Yes, they are educational, but not about educating. The round house idea was an activity to instill interest in students that hopefully lasts longer than book only .
Hi
....I've always considered "References & Reviews" especially as being "kind-of-an" educational thread.
Just my 2c of opinion, however. 
That said I would not object to a new "educational" thread, if it really helps. Wink

Greez & Thanks

Simplex
Siggi K.
(01-01-2016, 10:57 PM)Simplex Wrote:

Hi
....I've always considered "References & Reviews" especially as being "kind-of-an" educational thread.
That said I would not object to a new "educational" thread, if it really helps. Wink

Greez & Thanks

Simplex

It could be: I don't necessarily think we need a new forum, but renaming one?
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
(01-01-2016, 11:02 PM)richsc Wrote:
(01-01-2016, 10:57 PM)Simplex Wrote:

Hi

Greez & Thanks

Simplex

It could be: I don't necessarily think we need a new forum, but renaming one?

Hi,
not a bad idea as such. I think we should put this to a broader discussion.

Greez & Goodnight

Simplex
Siggi K.
I thought this was a broader discussion, even in 'off topic'. Guess I should get into a 'serious' forum.
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
Quote:Yes, they are educational, but not about educating. The round house idea was an activity to instill interest in students that hopefully lasts longer than book only .
I can't see how a thread about the roundhouse project is any more educating than a thread about an accurate aspis reconstruction or one that discusses the problems with the latest Depeeka offering.
(01-02-2016, 08:57 PM)Dan Howard Wrote:
Quote:Yes, they are educational, but not about educating. The round house idea was an activity to instill interest in students that hopefully lasts longer than book only .
I can't see how a thread about the roundhouse project is any more educating than a thread about an accurate aspis reconstruction or one that discusses the problems with the latest Depeeka offering.

It isn't about the roundhouse per se.  It is about education and putting reconstruction, reenactment and experimental archaeology into the curriculum.
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
Quote:It isn't about the roundhouse per se. It is about education and putting reconstruction, reenactment and experimental archaeology into the curriculum.
Most of the threads on RAT already do this.
We seem to be at cross-purposes here, defining 'education' in different ways. Dan appears to be using the word in the sense of the simple conveying of information, whereas Richard seems to be interested in the inculcating of knowledge into children to give them a lasting interest in ancient history. Am I reading this correctly?
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
(01-03-2016, 01:32 PM)Renatus Wrote: We seem to be at cross-purposes here, defining 'education' in different ways. Dan appears to be using the word in the sense of the simple conveying of information, whereas Richard seems to be interested in the inculcating of knowledge into children to give them a lasting interest in ancient history. Am I reading this correctly?

Yes, that's it exactly. I might also include adults as well: getting the support of the voting public for activities like archaeology might be one goal. Support for the classics, history and to break the narrow focus of funding support on STEM.
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
I think the roundhouse project is brilliant but can't see what RAT can contribute except for writing a review and posting a link to the official site. We already have the Reviews forum for that stuff.
Isn't most (european) re-enactment Educational? I mean, all shows I do are at school, museums or educational festivals and are meant to introduce the Roman period to the general public.

Okay, some of the 'hands-on' programms I developed over the year are more educational than some other 'camp activities' but they are all to educate ourselves, our friends and the public.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Which Roundhouse are you talking about? Cranbourne? or another one... there are many sites built for Educational purposes, often built by students or young people of various ages with the object of Education/Experimentation and generally host school partys for the most part.... 
A thread might be of interest listing them with a review of each...
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867