Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leather finds of the Pre-Roman Iron Age and Roman Imperial Period from NW Germany
Avete,

I just got Julias Gräf book:
http://www.vml.de/e/detail.php?ISBN=978-3-86757-337-5
as you know I am interested in leather and shoes so I did knew earlier about the PhD thesis, now is also published.

The book is in GERMAN so to fully understand it you will need the language.

I just got through very quick last night and my first impression is very positive. 268 pages written with 6pt I think so a lot of information. The carbatinae got their due, there is a lot of detail in the patterns left right shoe outside and inside.

I will be reading it through and then I will post a real review.

Valete.
Gelu
-----------------
Gelu I.
www.terradacica.ro
www.porolissumsalaj.ro
(01-27-2016, 07:25 AM)Gunthamund Hasding Wrote: Avete,

I just got Julias Gräf book:
http://www.vml.de/e/detail.php?ISBN=978-3-86757-337-5
as you know I am interested in leather and shoes so I did knew earlier about the PhD thesis, now is also published.

The book is in GERMAN so to fully understand it you will need the language.

I just got through very quick last night and my first impression is very positive. 268 pages written with 6pt I think so a lot of information. The carbatinae got their due, there is a lot of detail in the patterns left right shoe outside and inside.

I will be reading it through and then I will post a real review.

Valete.
Gelu

Excellent I tried to get hold of the Phd some time ago  but without much joy so good news that its been published...
Julia Graf has also previously published the Thorsberg(see below) and Oldenburg Leather(museum magazine)...

Das Thorsberger Moor band 4: includes all the surviving leather finds Including numerous shoes and some gilded leather,plus a full Version of the original Thorsbjerg Mosefund manuscript and much more...

Gräf, J.: Schuhe aus dem Moor – Schuhfunde im Landesmuseum für Natur und Mensch Oldenburg. Museumsjournal Natur und Mensch. Naturkunde – Kulturkunde – Museumskunde 4, 2008 (Oldenburg) 53-70. has full drawings and some very interesting shoe types comparable with Thorsberg.
Get the article via your library or direct from the Museum:
http://www.naturundmensch.de/
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Good to know that is out now! Thanks Gelu and Ivor!
Just recieved my copy and its looks excellent well worth the 54€ .-)
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Imperial Artillery mcbishop 5 2,790 01-23-2018, 06:40 AM
Last Post: Gunthamund Hasding
  Finds of Roman military equipment in Croatia 2010 jho 15 5,010 04-27-2014, 12:51 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Arms and Armour of the Imperial Roman Soldier sesdelta38 14 5,487 10-16-2012, 12:49 AM
Last Post: Agricola