Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Centurion helmet from Sisak, Croatia
That is correct Byron.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
This is the new (the third series of Centurio helmet from Sisak) It is improvements and changes notable that Deepeeka are made.The ass ear protectors are changed from iron in brass one. Slope of the collar and the profile also changed.
[Image: 29813320.jpg]
Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Radostin Kolchev
(Adlocutio Cohortium)
http://legio-iiii-scythica.com/index.php/en/
Rado.

I am not so sure that the rosettes on the neck gaurd are correct for the two outer ones are fitted to the reinforce step where they should be fitted below that on the lower surface near the corners of the neck gaurd.
Brian Stobbs
I also agree with Brian's assesment on the rosette.

As I have noted earlier (I think) the brow band is too wide much too wide when looking at the reproduction and comparing it to the original. The reason this is being done on the reproduction is because the bowl is too long/deep from the top near the crest holder to the front bottom edge. This can be seen when looking at the exaggerated distance between the top of the rosettes near the ear guards and the bottom of the reinforcing peak.

I know that in the original the reinforcing peak is missing. However, careful examination and observation reveals certain details that do not necessarily require ALL the parts
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Yes guys the helmet is not a perfect copy to the original.
But that it is its purpose-to be used for historical reenactments in a good level.
For now Mr.Gagan do not want to change it.
As I wrote in my above post ,I will do my changes when I get it.
Radostin Kolchev
(Adlocutio Cohortium)
Rado.

Where Doc has mentioned that the brow band is still too wide is not only the problem for just making it narrower is not going to solve the situation, for as he also points out the depth of the bowl is another more difficult situation.

Then where you say you can alter things when you get it is not going to be an easy thing for not only making the brow band narrower is going to solve the problem. The helmet bowl is going to have to be shortened at the front edge to compensate for the distance between the peak and the edge of the bowl being too great, which in itself is going to create more problems where the ear gaurds may have also to be altered.

Then there are going to be two holes to hide where the rosettes have to be moved at the neck gaurd, I realy do think it would be an easier solution to have this helmet completely re-built.
Brian Stobbs
In my opinion, if you are going to make a particular helmet and claim to be a copy of a particular original, then it should be as correct as possible. I cannot understand why Gagan insists on doing things partially or completely wrong when pictures of the evidence and knowledgeable people like Brian are available to help make the product well. It is a poor excuse to say…..for now we will do this…….why? That means that who knows WHEN it will be made proper.
I know it is for reenactment and the general public really would not know the difference but as reenactors why settle for “good enough”.
Also, when a person buys a helmet, sword, or other armor, it should not be necessary to alter the item AT ALL. What is the purpose of spending several hundred dollars/Euros on something that needs to be redone after you receive it? If it’s because you want a project or you like to do things, fine but then why not learn how to make an entire item yourself. That is exactly what I am doing….little by little.
My two cents……take it or leave it.

Paolo
Еverything you write is true, but.. this is the decision of the producer-Deepeeka!
Еveryone ordered his helmets and equipment according to his financial resources .
Radostin Kolchev
(Adlocutio Cohortium)
Tarbicus, can I have your address please. You can send me a mail for the same. I wish to send you all 3 models which were made based on your drawings on photobucket. I will let you take a call on the production changes to be made, if any.

Ar Rado had pointed out, at this stage, I am not making any more changes to the helmet. Relooking at shell size, and redoing the whole things, besides money, is a lot of time, which unfortunately, cannot be valued or regained. I wish this was pointed out to me in the initial prototype stages, when pic were posted, and also samples submitted. Now honestly, for me, its too late in the day.

[attachment=5830]SDC18798.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=5831]SDC18797.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=5832]SDC18799.jpg[/attachment]

Gagan

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Gagan,

You would like to call off the argument......no problem. I will not add anything extra. Yet another item that could have been unique left to the wind for others with less knowledge to buy and later find out it requires fixing.
Oh well. I tried and no, I will not be buying this helmet in case anyone is thinking about the comment......if you do not like it no one is telling you to have one.

Paolo
Dear Paolo

I am sorry- but I do not intend to offend anyone. I can understand your frustration of seeing something being created, and not being created right. I do wish I had more relevant data in the earlier stages. It does become difficult for us as manufacturers to modify tools and dies all over again, once so many steps have been taken.

I will try to be more careful. If you could maybe make graphical changes on the helmet, I may try to modify still in the mass production stages. I hope that helps.

Regards

Gagan
Considering the price for which they are being offered I think the helmets are pretty good. So long as they are not advertised as "copies" or "replicas" of the original I don't have a problem at all. Obviously things could have been done better but if we want it custom-made to exacting specifications then we should be prepared to pay a premium for that. As Rusty said, there is a place for good inexpensive off the shelf gear.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
Quote:This is the new (the third series of Centurio helmet from Sisak) It is improvements and changes notable that Deepeeka are made.The ass ear protectors are changed from iron in brass one. Slope of the collar and the profile also changed.

Ass ear protectors? :o

Big Grin
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
It's been three years since I started working on the project Centurio helmet from Sisak, Croatia. 3 years ago I gave it for mass production to Deepeeka as a company that is interested in mass production of new quality projects.
It took me another two years to meet new publications and to prepare new information to improve this my old project.
 I personally visited the museum in Zagreb where I made my remarks, photos and videos, as after the publication of Ivan Radman purchased by him in scientific literature in the Archaeological Museum in Zagrveb.
After the changes helmet is tinned and then silver plated.
Used materials, iron, brass, tin, silver and red enamel (possibly close to sources be archeology ).

Radostin Kolchev
(Adlocutio Cohortium)
To obtain a good result (I hope that I've achieved it) I have to improve and change some things.My preparation for improvements on this model started with the concentric rosette appliqués I created them as I tried to be as close to the originals. I made steel mold with the appropriate shape and then was hammered from  brass sheet (as in antiquity).

Radostin Kolchev
(Adlocutio Cohortium)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tha Sisak Gladius XorX 2 2,432 05-02-2016, 09:33 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  Centurion helmet? Graham Sumner 4 1,769 03-03-2014, 07:46 PM
Last Post: Dean Cunningham metalsmit
  Imperial Gallic \'C\' (Sisak) crest holder dragon25 2 1,586 06-04-2012, 09:50 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar