Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Byzantine Italy and the Lombards
My son-in-law has become interested in recreation and has recruited some of his friends.  They want to assemble kits from the same region and era, but not necessarily representing the same culture.  After discussing their preferences, I think that Byzantine-era Italy and the Langobard (Lombard) culture would give them scope to do what they want while still allowing costumes comfortable in our local climate (Arizona:  hot and dry).

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions that you guys may have about good source material or texts that would illuminate that period.
If you mean comfortable costumes as ones designed for hot weather as we think of them today (light material, short sleeves), then I have to disappoint you. Generally, regardless of time and space, people used woolen outer tunics with linen undertunics even around the Mediterranean. It is working though.

What is the era they want to do?
Mark - Legio Leonum Valentiniani
I'd go linen or a light wool myself for practicality. It's historically accurate even if wool is a better choice. I have a light wool tunic for my 1st century kit and it stands up find in the humidity of South Carolina.

Cotton tunics have been found in Egypt, but Cotton was a rich man's clothes and wool was still better.
They're still trying to decide what eras most interest them. I've tried to steer them toward late 6th Century (contemporay with the initial establishment of the Lombard kingdom in Italy). Unfortunately, I'm not happy with the quality of the few information sources I've found.

In southern Arizona, we do love our linen. Good quality, lightweight woolens are not easy to come by and tend to be more expensive than they are in other parts of the country. Despite that, I've worn plenty of wool over the years. As most of you guys know, it's much more comfortable if you wear a linen or cotton undertunic.
In the History of the Franks the Lombards are disparaged for wearing white 'bandages' on their legs. This implies that other cultures in the region did not wear them, so these leg wrappings could be seen as an item of clothing unique to the Lombards.

This image from the Golden Psalter seems to be depicting a Lombard with these leggings.
[Image: file.php?id=58206]
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
10-11th century Lombards & Italian-Normans

10th century Lombards in chainmail hauberk with round shield and spear.
[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=8748&d=1363226706]
Full image from Exultet Beneventano Ms. Vat. Lat. 9820

Lombard knights & Pagans in an early 11th Century De rerum naturis
[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=8753&d=1363349095]

Lombard King Rotario Dictating the Law, Codex Legum Longobardorum, 11th century
[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=8994&d=1365647217]

David in a Polirone Psalter, northern Italy, before 1086AD
[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=8995&d=1365654188]

"Charlemagne's chess set", Norman Southern Italy, end of the eleventh century
During the late middle ages these were thought to be a present from the Shah of Persia to Charlemagne, but they were not.
. An Italo-Norman knight chess piece
Italo-Norman Heavy Cavalryman in rmies of the Dark Ages 600-1066 by Ian Heath, based on Charlemagne's chess set
[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=9020&d=1366075007]

MIRROR SITES
10th century Lombards in chainmail hauberk with round shield and spear.
Lombard knights & Pagans in an early 11th Century De rerum naturis
Lombard King Rotario Dictating the Law, Codex Legum Longobardorum, 11th century
David in a Polirone Psalter, northern Italy, before 1086AD
"Charlemagne's chess set", Norman Southern Italy, end of the eleventh century

Druzhina
Illustrations of Costume & Soldiers