Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
helmet cheated/stolen
I don't know if this thread is appropriate, I hope so, but on the contrary I apologize.

Just to let everybody know that this helmet has been cheated/stolen to a dear friend of mine (not a RAT member)
If happens that someone see it in within internet or generically has news, please let me know.

The crook is a german guy, M.H., he also is an ebay seller (vl........ea)

Thanks!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Marco

Civis Romanus Optime Iure Sum
Without wanting to go into the details of the alledged crime, could you tell us more about that helmet? It looks like a Late Roman helmet comparable to the Burgh Castle helmet.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
(07-12-2016, 09:47 PM)Robert Vermaat Wrote: Without wanting to go into the details of the alledged crime, could you tell us more about that helmet? It looks like a Late Roman helmet comparable to the Burgh Castle helmet.

Correct, a late one, Ridge-Intercisa type, IV century. It was in rough condition but easily restorable.
Marco

Yeah it's definitely a Quadripartite Ridge Helmet (Berkasova-Type). Terrible that this was stolen. I hope you get it back.
Do you know some similar specimens? The one I know is from Burgh Castle (Saxon Shore fortress), not others. Mostly of late ridge  helmets are bipartite, seldom quadripartite, as this one looks.
Marco

Yes. This is a Quadripartite Helmet like Burgh Castle. Better condition than Burgh Castle, too. When you zoom in you can see the connecting band and rivets in the middle of the bowl that allow you to distinguish it as a Quadripartite Ridge helmet.
(07-14-2016, 02:43 PM)Flavivs Aetivs Wrote: Yes. This is a Quadripartite Helmet like Burgh Castle. Better condition than Burgh Castle, too. When you zoom in you can see the connecting band and rivets in the middle of the bowl that allow you to distinguish it as a Quadripartite Ridge helmet.

I wonder if those are the only two quadripartite berkasovo type helmets currently known. None else?

Too bad my friend lost it, it would be a further piece available for scientific community.
Nevertheless, luckily presently we have some chances to regain it
Marco

Quote:I wonder if those are the only two quadripartite berkasovo type helmets currently known. None else?

No, the whole Berkasova-Type helmet is called that because they're all quadripartite. Both the Berksasova helmets, Concesti, Heteny, Budapest, Burgh Castle, this example, and several others.

There's a sort of intermediate type like Koblenz and Iatrus, where they have bipartite bowls but Berkasova cheekpieces (And sometimes base rings), and then there's the Intercisa-Types.
I think the Augsburgs are bipartite as well?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I'm just giving a few examples. Can't possibly name all of them.
Are more scarce bipartite or quadri?
Marco

http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b84525958/f33.item.zoom

9th century miniature from the Valenciennes Apocalypse (Ms.99, Valenciennes Bibliotheque Municipale, fol.13r), which is believed to be copy of a 5th or 6th century manuscript.

could be slightly off-topic, but does the headgear of the right horseman on the green horse remind anyone of a specific kind of late roman/byzantine helmet or cap?
Why not just report it to the police?
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.