Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You can't 3d print history
Okay this is not the real thing . . . by a long shot.

Now they are 3d printing stuff that has been destroyed by terrorism?

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-36070721

How about '3d Printing' guns for the people who being attacked by these idiots
so they can a at least defend themselves.

It's nice to see that people can make this stuff for enjoyment
like this Colosseum model:

https://pinshape.com/items/10631-3d-prin...n-coliseum

However, this is NOT the alternative to terrorists destroying our human history.

Seriously this PC culture has gone too far . . .
What PC culture?

"This is about censorship, in my opinion. If there are folks in the world who want to delete things from the historical record, they need to be restored. It's as simple as that. This is not any different from book-burning. This is an attempt by folks to exorcise portions of history."

"We can never have the same image as before Isis," he said. "We are trying to be realistic. But what we want to do is respect the scientific method and the identity of Palmyra as a historic site."

The article then cautions against this mindset and says the same thing as you.

"The dangerous precedent suggests that if you destroy something, you can rebuild it and it has the same authenticity as the original."

As far as I can tell the arch was constructed as a protest against the deprivations of ISIS, and has nothing to do with political correctness.

"Artists and scholars wanted to do something positive, to say that what is happening is terrible, but let's celebrate the creativity coming out of it, and the people challenging what Isis are doing."

Personally I think that everything on display in a museum should be a replica and the originals stored away safely for study. The public can't tell the difference. My favourite displays are the ones that show the item as it looked when it was dug up and next to it is a reconstruction that shows how it looked when it was in use.

Sometimes 3d printed items are actually better than the originals. They have started 3d scanning and printing cuniform tablets but scaling them up 200% so that the text is easier to study.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
Sorry bud but I differ with you completely.

It's like having a child that got killed by these terrorists and then making up for it by creating a memorial statue. 

It's not the same thing . . .

After all it's not just Syrian history that has been destroyed, it's human history. No course on Syrian history is going to help us understand what 'physically' was there just a few months ago.

Wish I went to Petra when I had the chance a few years back. Who knows if it's going to be around or not.
The article specifically says that it is not the same thing and can't compensate for the original. I'm not sure what your point is. The story doesn't seem to have anything to do with political correctness.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
So now terorists have destroyed historical remains. bad, of course.
And your point is? That we can't rebuild them? of course we can.
Because historical remains have been destroyed on a massive scale before. By industry, by governments, by civilians who needed stones for their houses. The examples are endless.
And, several of these remains have been rebuilt into quite sizable structures. Look for instance at structures dmaged during WW2, of which most or all have been completely rebuilt. Is that also fake? of course it is, but what is the difference with people today wanting to do the same but with different techniques?
The reason for the destuction does not really matter, wheter a terrorist or a respectable mr Johnson.
At least i hope so, because modern politics have no place at this forum and can/are discussion aplenty elsewhere.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)