Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone seen anything like this?
Hi all,

As a colleague was rehousing the Roman footwear here at the Royal Ontario Museum I noticed this thing and thought "That is no shoe." It was acquired from G.F Lawrence in 1927, who said it was from Moorgate Place, London. It came with 28 other leather fragments that certainly seem to be shoe parts, sole fragments and other bits, with hobnails in them which do appear to be Roman. We are still studying it but I have made a preliminary sketch (attached). It is two thicknesses of leather, with a sewn bound edge all along what is the bottom side on the drawing. On the "top" is a bound edge which may be sewn, but it is hard to tell because of the studs that are driven through it. These seams only go a bout 2-3 cm from each side, and what is left of the upper edge between these appear to be cut, although whether as part of the fabrication or as a part of a possible deconstruction of the object. There is a detail of the studs, which are copper-alloy with two posts which are bent over to fix them to the leather. They are plain domes.

As anyone seen anything like this? Or the studs? Any suggestions?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Robert Mason D.Phil (Oxon)
World Cultures, Royal Ontario Museum, 100 Queen's Park, Toronto, Ontario, M5S 2C6, Canada.
Near and Middle Eastern Civilizations, University of Toronto, 4 Bancroft Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, M5S 1C1, Canada.
E-mail: [email protected]
(04-06-2017, 07:04 PM)ROMan Wrote: As anyone seen anything like this? Or the studs? Any suggestions?

Is it the remains of a studded leather vambrace? [Image: tongue.png]

Otherwise - no idea! The pattern of studs/nails does suggest a shoe or boot. Perhaps the footwear experts here can shed more light on it...?
Nathan Ross
If its roman I would guess ear pieces or parts from a Chamfron, the studs are not hobnails or as far as I'm aware anything related, the only decorative studs I've seen on footware is from Thorsberg...

Possibly post medieval: https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/.../id/786205
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
(04-07-2017, 10:39 AM)Crispianus Wrote: or parts from a Chamfron

Ah yes, I knew it reminded me of something...!
Nathan Ross
It certainly isn't a shoe, they are copper-alloy not iron, and have no evidence of use-wear. A vambrace would be more likely (yes, I know, standing Roman re-enactors joke). The Roman association is not especially reliable, it is a dealer that provided the group, I imagine the context is not secure, to say the least.

The studs seem unusual to me, I am more familiar with hardware of this nature having posts which are peened over, but these are folded over like the leather jacket I had in the late '70's.

The Batavian chamfron is interesting. Any idea what kind of studs were on that?
Robert Mason D.Phil (Oxon)
World Cultures, Royal Ontario Museum, 100 Queen's Park, Toronto, Ontario, M5S 2C6, Canada.
Near and Middle Eastern Civilizations, University of Toronto, 4 Bancroft Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, M5S 1C1, Canada.
E-mail: [email protected]
(04-07-2017, 03:41 PM)ROMan Wrote: It certainly isn't a shoe, they are copper-alloy not iron, and have no evidence of use-wear. A vambrace would be more likely (yes, I know, standing Roman re-enactors joke). The Roman association is not especially reliable, it is a dealer that provided the group, I imagine the context is not secure, to say the least.  

The studs seem unusual to me, I am more familiar with hardware of this nature having posts which are peened over, but these are folded over like the leather jacket I had in the late '70's.

The Batavian chamfron is interesting. Any idea what kind of studs were on that?

See Chamfron no1 from Vindolanda, all the studs are gone but clear impressions were left for single post studs, on the smaller ones at least the posts have been folded flush leaving a stitch like impression the same as on yours, but obviously as singles, larger studs were bell capped.

Also see: http://nms.scran.ac.uk/database/record.p...-103-288-C see "A Roman Frontier Post and its People" Curle 1911 for details.

Sources: "The Vindolanda Chamfrons and Misc items of Leather Horse Gear" C. Van Driiel-Murray in "Roman Military Equipment, The Sources of Evidence" Bar476 pg281-318. 1989.
And
"The Leatherwork" C. Van Driel-Murray in "Vindolanda Vol III, The Early Wooden Forts" 1993.
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867