Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New recruits
No problem, you should be able to do that after a minimum number of posts - 5 I think. Smile
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Hi! I'm Chiara from Italy.

I have a master's degree in Archaeology and ancient History and my favourite period is ancient Rome.
I'm here because I'm thinking about doing a PhD in Roman Archaeology and I saw that this forum is full of references to very specific military topics, that sometimes it's hard to find even in academic papers. It could be really helpful to talk with a community in which there are so many reenactors, since they experience what scholars just imagine.

Cheers,
Chiara
Hi Guys - my name is Dave Horton.. i was a long time friend of Len Morgan and Elizabeth plus family. I reside in the Philippines and lost contact back in the 1990's. I herd that Len has passed away.. ive tried finding Elizabeth (Northampton) but to no avail. If any one has a contact E.Mail etc i'd be very grateful. I spent many long hours with him prior to me joining the military including Yomping and Camping including going to Coventry (?) at the Roman Fort, whilst we where there a BBC Camera crew made a film. I would dearly like to see him in "Uniform" he was a great guy and mentor.
E.Mail. [email protected]
Many thanks guys - i dont think the Romans travelled as far as the Philippines (or did they Smile ) D.H.
Hello all,  

My name is Levi Sherman and I currently live in Northern Kentucky near Cincinnati.

I've been interested in Rome all of my life but only started to really dig into the ancient world within the last couple of years.  Some of it has been for fun but much of it because of my job.

I'm here because in all my research I kept getting referred back to this forum and several very knowledgable people who spend time on here.

I do reenact, everything from WWII to the 13th Century, but nothing ancient yet, at least not properly.  My job however, frequently has me researching and recreating ancient objects as I am a museum exhibit artist and also work in film.

On another note, I didn't fully read the rules before signing up so my first name is not in my signature.  I understand I can change that after three posts so here is #1!  

I look forward to having a good time learning a lot on here.

Levi Sherman
(12-10-2019, 03:38 PM)Vmax42 Wrote: Hi Guys - my name is Dave Horton.. 

Welcome Dave..
Len Morgan.. actually I think he is still with us!

(12-18-2019, 07:00 PM)Adventurous Artisan Wrote: Hello all,  
My name is Levi Sherman 

Levi, also a warm welcome to you!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Hello everyone,

I'm interested in ancient Greek reenacting during the Persian War period. In fact, Chris B.'s aspis build thread on this forum is one of there things that got me interested in it. I stumbled upon it while looking for Greek shield designs to paint on 28mm historical wargaming miniatures.

M
PygmyHippo
where are you from?
- how'd you become interested in Rome?
- why are you here?
- do you re-enact, are you a student, an academic professional, or..?

where are you from?, USA , California
how'd you become interested in Rome?, Mastering the Army Rank Structure

Real Centurio Veteranus
5 medals
University Of Phoenix
couleurs de la Médaille militaire Fourragère aux couleurs de la Croix de Guerre 1914-1918 infantry blue cord US
more than 13+ hand to hand combat battles
Hello, I'm Tony Sampson. Been interested in the Roman era since childhood, amplified by watching/reading 'I Claudius' in the mid-70s (like many people in my generation) and sustained this as a largely armchair interest ever since. Did a bit of Latin at school, which I tried (not very sucessfully) to revive later, but have visited many Roman sites across Europe on my travels. I grew up not far from Hadrian's Wall (Chester-le-Street) - my school was on top of the Roman cavalry fort (Concangis) and I was a volunteer digger at the Bowes Museum excavations there in 1978 (led by the late Percy Turnbull). I'm very impressed by the very many knowledgable people here on RAT and currently as a newbie enjoying following up so many great links and leads in all sorts of directions.
Hi everyone, here another new kid on the block Smile

I'm Johan and born and raised in the Netherlands, 38 years old and since childhood an antiquity-addict.
I try to infect my 2 sons with that same addiction and proud to say there is some succes (slow but steady)...

I studied history and work (almost) 11 years for one of the largest Dutch archaeological researchfirms.

I re-enact but in a whole other timeframe, namely the so-called 80-years war (the war for Dutch independence
in the 16th and 17th century) as a fully armoured pikey (pikeman).

Currently I'm in the making of a Greek leather spolas to hang in my mancave (almost finished!).

Main reason for joining RAT is the amount of knowledge here available Wink
Johan T.
Hi, I am Alan Hamilton from Caledonia just south of Antonine's Wall.  I am now fully retired from the Prison service as a Governor and also from the Army Reserve as a Lt Col in the Royal Logistics Corps after 41 years with a few operational tours under my belt.  

My interest here is in gaining military background to my visits and revisits to various sites along the Antonine's and Hadrian's wall and the lands between and beyond.  I am also a wargamer who started out in "ancients" with the Airfix Romans and Ancient Britons and now with the grandchildren with 28mm plastic figures.  So I have a goodly host of Celts and an ever increasing force of Lgio VI Victrix and Legio IX Hispana with auxiliaries and service support. Therefore I am looking for knowledge of the Romans, their Auxiliaries and particularly their support services and families.  

I am also working through some of the free (online) Open University courses that focus on Ancient Rome in its Republic and Empire.  

Best wishes and thanks for letting me in!

Alan
Alan
Lives in Caledonia not far from the Antonine Wall.
Hello

I am Mike from South Wales, within 30 mins walk from Venta Silurum.

Dinosaur reenactor of a certain age!! having done a few different periods, have joined up in the distant past with Britannia for a couple of shows. 

Need a project in these trying times and got inspired with a recent visit to Hadrian's Wall, Vindolanda and the Roman Army museum.

Looking to do 4th cent impression. Maybe a character based around Caerwent due to the buckle find there.

Keep Well All
Mike
Salvete omnes

I am Tiberius Horatius Barbatus. 

I am more than the sum of my experiences. A man of blended heritage, a husband (again), an adopted son, a father (4), a grandfather (13), a soldier, a police officer (retired), a living historian, a lover of music and science fiction, an aspiring writer, a fencer, a target shooter, a horseback rider. Centered, calm and comfortable with my existence

I am 65 years old, born and raised in the Provincia Lacus Magni (Ohio Regio), Res Publica Nova Romana. I have lived and worked in Provincia Nova Britannia as a resident of the Massachusetts Regio. I have lived and worked in Provincia Carolina (North Regio) and now reside in the regio of South Carolina in what is now Provincia Cismississippiana. I am of the Gens Horatia and the Tribus Poblilia, of assiduus status, from the plebeian order and a member of the ordo equester.  I have also served with Legion III Cyrenaica as an immunes, as the adiutore cornicularium.

I look forward to discussion here with the members of the Forum.

Di vos incolumes custodiant!

Ti. Horatius Barbatus, eq.NR
Scriba Praetorium Cismississippiana
Res Publica Nova Romana
Adam

I wish you the worst of mornings, allobroges.

I am barbarus. I will tell you about myself, not to boast or be prideful, but as the sole coutesy I will bestow upon you so that you may have the chance to soil yourself and run at first sight of me:
I cannot be killed. All men fear me. No creature has looked me in the eye and survived. I can chop down an oak tree with a single strike from my empty hand. I once slaughtered and razed an entire city because its inhabitants had the audacity to erect a tower taller than I. Clothing is for the weak and detestable, particularly pants; I wear not a shred even in the fiercest winters. My masculinity is my jacket; the shrieks of my many victims keep me warm throughout the night, which is never cold enough to lessen the briney lather I work up in fulfillment of my heinous acts each and every evening. The sun dare not shine until I rest. Also I'm from jersey.
Welcome all, and a Happy New Year.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Hello, everyone!

I am from Canada. I am not sure *how* I became interested in Rome, though I suspect my parents giving me history books as a child triggered it. I am here because I want to re-enter this community. I actually have an old account here, but I cannot even access the email address it's registered with. I'm starting out fresh, unless that's a problem (please, let me know if it is). I haven't been present for a long time because *life* got in the way.

Most of my interest is with some of the old enemies of Rome, though I am definitely interested in the Roman culture. It's how I started, after all. I am into experimental archaeology as a hobby and as a way to understand how humans work in more primitive settings. As a profession, I am a farmer (livestock, grain, and viticulture). I use primitive tools on a regular basis, and especially when I spend time in the woods. I don't consider myself an expert, though I make agriculture and outdoor living some of my main focuses in life.

Regards,

Cam Kuzik