Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New recruits
Hi Friends.

I am here to learn and, someday post. My interest has been on and off but has really stuck this time! Thanks to all of you who make this site work and to all of you who have posted on it. I look foreward to the future.

Best to all.

Andy
Welcome Andy. Make yourself feel at home!
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Quote:Welcome Nectanebo, Big Grin
Egypt is the place where incredible items from the Roman period are preserved, while they have long ago rotten away and dissolved at other places!
Could you, please, sign with your real name (at leas your first name) and put your living place on your details? Rules of this forum... thanks :wink:

Aitor

No problems, my first name is now my signature.
Regards,

Hisham
Many thanks, Hisham! Big Grin

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Hello all.

My name is Athanasios. I am from the Hellenic Republic and am interested in all areas of military history, particularly late Roman and Byzantine history as well as the ancient history of the Near East.

I've been reading this forum for some time as it often has very interesting information and have decided to join up in order to pehaps learn more.

Best Regards
Quote:Hello all.
My name is Athanasios. I am from the Hellenic Republic and am interested in all areas of military history, particularly late Roman and Byzantine history as well as the ancient history of the Near East.
I've been reading this forum for some time as it often has very interesting information and have decided to join up in order to pehaps learn more.
Best Regards
From another Late Roman/Byzantine, a warm welcome.
Glad you decided to jump aboard!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Thanks for the friendly greeting Robert.
Dear RAT members,

briefly, my name's John and live in Ohio in the United States. I've been reading, at an amateur level, about the Late Roman period for quite a few years now.

This period holds my interest primarily because of the many similarities between the Pax Romana and the Pax Americana and what I imagine to be similar mindsets of current Americans and the Romans of the Late Roman empire.

I've gone ahead and registered here in the hopes of finding some more specific information concerning some questions I have. Also, I'd like to say that I really admire all the people who have 'gotten into' their interests here. (I'm thinking of the re-enactors specificly; Mr. Vermaat, Mithras from Comitatus, Florentius, Aitor, et many, many al.) This is a resource that I've enjoyed browsing through many times.

I look forward to reading, and possibly contributing something, to RAT in the future. Socii Romani Valete!
John Lucas
Luc. Ambr. Ianuarianus
Hello John from Ohio,

Welcome to RAT. Enjoy your stay and I hope we can have some nice discussions.
You mentioned comparing mindsets of Romans with those of modern man - that's always tricky. For one, it easily lead to a political discussion. And then, as a historian I find it difficult to make such a comparison; we have so few voices from the past that it's almost impossible to develop a 'mindset' for the period.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Mr. Vermaat, thank you for the advice; I'll be sure to refrain from anything political. Pax!
John Lucas
Luc. Ambr. Ianuarianus
Hi John,
Could you please sign your posts with your first name? Policy here :wink:
Otherwise, welcome to the board! Ask your questions and make yourself at home.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Thank you for the welcome, Mr. Oorthuys!

-John/Luc. Ambr. Ianuarianus
John Lucas
Luc. Ambr. Ianuarianus
Ave!

- where are you from?
Hungary

- how'd you become interested in Rome?
When I was a child....bla bla... always wanted to have sword... As I found Collegium Gladiatorium I joind to them. (Since my 7th years of age I learned martial arts...)

- why are you here?
To read/study/be informed more.

- do you re-enact, are you a student, an academic professional, or..?
When I started I was a student. however i still learn from day to day how to fight with ancient weapons, now I am a "re-enactor"...or gladiator.
Collegium Gladiatorium Hungary
aka Gus ztav Gar as
Quote:Thank you for the welcome, Mr. Oorthuys!
-John/Luc. Ambr. Ianuarianus

And call US by our first names! Big Grin D lol:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Hi all,

I'm Mitra , from Mediolanum Italy.

I love military history from ancient greece to XVII century , specially roman and medieval periods.

I'm the webmaster of Campagne Parallele site
[url:1moc3xto]http://utenti.lycos.it/campagneparallele[/url] , a parallel description of roman e carolingian campaigns in Germany (i hope to end first possibile the english translation of site)

ciao
"Each historical fact needs to be considered, insofar as possible, no with hindsight and following abstract universal principles, but in the context of own proper age and environment" Aldo A. Settia

a.k.a Davide Dall\'Angelo

SISMA- Società Italiana per gli Studi Militari Antichi