Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New recruits
Quote:...I'm currently stationed on this rock in the middle of the Pacific.
You're right in that most folks wouldn't complain about serving in Hawaii. Count your blessings. I served my own Pacific tours on the Korean Peninsula... and on Guam (which is seven hours flight beyond Hawaii). Smile Welcome to RAT!
Robert Stroud
The New Scriptorium
Quote:I don't do any roman re-eanacting unless you count playing war with your brothers with sticks in the front yard reenacting. I have done some civil war reenacting...
Welcome, Ben. You're not the only American Civil War reenactor here. And yes, I would personally consider "playing war" as a legionary with one's siblings to be an excellent beginning for a Roman reenactor.
Robert Stroud
The New Scriptorium
Cool! Thx! Any reenacting I have done has been with borrowed stuff I love shooting the canons! *BBBOOOMM* I would like to get my own stuff or even some roman stuff and get into that reenacting genre but being fifteen money isn't exactly flowing out of my pockets and i have to save up and buy my own car. It seems to me roman reenacting id more expensive than civil war is that true?
Legionare Vibius Atimonius
Ben Hathaway[/i]
Quote:It seems to me roman reenacting id more expensive than civil war is that true?
Good question... and one I can't answer. But perhaps M VALERIVS (Jim Whitley) can, since he has experience reenacting in both contexts. Many Roman era reenactors actually make the majority of their accoutrements, so they are reducing the cost of part of their kits by using their personal skills. Explore the site here via the "Search" function, and you'll find a lot of related information.
Robert Stroud
The New Scriptorium
Quote:Hi! All My name is Ben Hathaway
Hi Ben,
Welcome to the forum!
So, you're 15, you've already done some re-enacting AND you're planning to write a novel! Wow - I'm jealous!!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Hi Everybody!
My name is Martin and I am from Vindobona (todays Vienna in Austria). I am interested since Junkelmanns Alpenmarsch 1986 for reenactment. But since 3 years I make my own equipment. I am sorry, my english is not so good, but I hope you will understand me.
Publius Aelius Lucius was an centurio from the legio X Gemina PF in vindobona. I found the name on a Jupiter Altar in the Historical Museum of Vienna.

Martin Müllauer
Avete,Wendy,James,Ben and Martin.
I hope you all enjoy your time here.
welcome.
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens
Avete, Khairete and Hi!

My name is Alan. I am 57 years old and live in Edinburgh, Scotland. I have been interested in all things Roman and Greek for many years now and have recently become particularly interested in the military side, purely from a hobby point of view. I am, among other things, a senior IT manager in a major bank and a recent, besotted grandfather.

My main hobby is archery and I shoot everything from modern, state-of-the-art compounds, through flatbows and longbows to my latest acquisition, a mongolian bow of great beauty and immense power.

I have looked in on this forum for some time now and have been impressed by the breadth depth of knowledge and, perhaps even more, by the supportive, constructive tone of (nearly) all the contributions. This is quite unlike some other forums I have experienced!

Anyway, I'm not sure what I can contribute, but I'll do what I can and look forward to some interesting interchanges.

PS - I will get around to an Avatar asap - anyone know where I can find some ready-made ones?
[size=150:16cns1xq]Quadratus[/size]

Alan Walker

Pudor est nescire sagittas
Statius, Thebaid
Welcome to RAT Alan, make yourself at home and feel free to ask around.

Ready-made avatars, hmm, you can also upload pictures from your pc but you propably must resize them (its width can be no greater than 115 pixels, the height no greater than 115 pixels, and the file size no more than 6 KB). I got mine from another website. I just googled for motorhead avatar.
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
Welcome to the new rat members!

Do'nt hesitate to make contributions!

And, please, put your pictures!

Big Grin D
Quote:Anyway, I'm not sure what I can contribute, but I'll do what I can and look forward to some interesting interchanges.

An archer! Too flippin' right you can contribute! Confusedhock:

Welcome aboard, and to Wendy, Ben, James (great name) and Martin also.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
HeJ Everyone!
I have been a re-enactor, and now i have turned my attentions to learning to use a sword properly and the joys of Living History and Experimental Archeology, particularly with regard to Auxiliary soldiers.
Some of you in 2nd Augusta might remember me. I did a couple of shows as your Cornicen ( in 2000, i think), then before i could make a career of it, my ( then ) wife upped and left me! The mores of divorce and separation took me away from my hobbies and interests for a while, and i ended up living in Sweden, where, thankfully, i found people who share my passion for all things Roman. Now we are going found a group based around a hypothetical Germanic Auxiliary unit and see what we can find out about Roman Army life from a practical point of view, as well as getting to look cool! It will include drill, marches, and fighting training, with ( hopefully) authentic weapons, equipment, and methods. We'll see what happens. It should be fun, in any case.
Well, anyway, looking forward to sharing opinions with you.
Gaius Largenius
Adrian Hudson
Well, wifes come and go, roman army is eternal :wink: ! Welcome aboard Adrian!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Hello Adrian old friend!
Hi there!

I stumbled across this site and forum some time ago, after my interest in all things Roman got tickled again and I went on an Internet search for some piece of information (can't really remember what I was looking for) and found this site. I've been lurking around here since then, and I must say I continue to be amazed at the wealth of information and the number of knowledgeable people around here Big Grin .

Since I regard myself as merely a curious & interested amateur (in "real life" I'm an IT/telecom security consultant, so no connection whatsoever there to history stuff), I guess my joining the forum will just amount to a "swelling of the ranks" and not much more.

As far as my initial interest is concerned, that goes a long way back, to the point where my parents gave me my first "Asterix" comic book (I still enjoy re-reading the whole stack of them once in a while). And it has more or less been going ever since (Latin in high-school, and the occasional book acquisition over the years). My main interest used to be the army, but lately I find I get more and more interested in Roman engineering, construction and technology. Strange, maybe ...

For what it's worth, the closest I ever got to re-enacting was me playing "Romans" with friends while I was a kid. Plus maybe the fact that at some point then - not being satisfied by the typical plastic "kid" armor - I tried to make a more-or-less life-sized & wearable reconstruction of a segmentata, mainly from paper and card-board (based upon some pictures from a book called "Warfare in the classical world"). I still think it looked pretty good, all things considering Big Grin .

Anyways, greets to you all, and keep up the interesting discussions!
Regards,
Daniel