Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New recruits
Quote:I ended up living in Sweden, where, thankfully, i found people who share my passion for all things Roman. Now we are going found a group based around a hypothetical Germanic Auxiliary unit...
It's a wonderful thing to connect with friends who share our deep interests in Roman history. Congratulations. Glad to have you as part of the RAT community.
Robert Stroud
The New Scriptorium
Quote:...lately I find I get more and more interested in Roman engineering, construction and technology. Strange, maybe ...
Nothing strange about that. And don't underestimate the role played by all three of these in terms of Rome's military efforts! Welcome.
Robert Stroud
The New Scriptorium
Quote:Hi there lads!
I'm 15 and I found this site yesterday when I clicked a link in a thread about armor types. I registered and here I am ready to learn as much as I can about ancient military history with you (hope you can help me... My interest for military started when I was a child...
It's great to have you joining us. Being called a "lad" by such a young man caused me to smile, and I praise you for that. You will learn much here.
Robert Stroud
The New Scriptorium
Quote:...my name is Mike, I live in London, I am a museum professional and a PhD student... So if anyone wants to know anything about the auxilia (someone recently asked about which units where stationed along Hadrian's Wall, I will try answer), Roman cultural identity theory and current government museum policy in the UK then I am your man!
Great to have another expert in our midst!
Robert Stroud
The New Scriptorium
Quote:- how'd you become interested in Rome?
When I was around seven, my Mum is interested in history and started showing me things at an early age.
- why are you here?
Because I read around on the site and found it very informative. Not to mention that it looks friendly too.
Thank God for wise parents! And yes, you will find an informed, and friendly, community here.
Robert Stroud
The New Scriptorium
Quote:My name is Sergio I am 20 y.o and, I live in the USA. I was actually born in Havana, Cuba and immigrated to the USA about 6 years ago... I usually read up on Roman History when I get a chance and play a Historically Accurate modification of RTW (rome total war).
A Neo-Spartan Cuban-American. Interesting combination! Smile Great hobbies. I particularly appreciate that you don't settle for the standard, inaccurate version of RTM.
Robert Stroud
The New Scriptorium
Quote:I held a small event at my farm near Tillsonburg and I hope to construct a fortlet there.
What a neat plan. I'd love to see pictures when your dream is eventually realized!
Robert Stroud
The New Scriptorium
It seems you've been greeting everyone you missed huh? :wink:
Francisco Machado aka M.ilionario

Atheist

"You must not fight too often with one enemy, or you will teach him all your art of war" - Napoleon Bonaparte
Quote:It seems you've been greeting everyone you missed huh? :wink:
Yes, that is certainly my intention. Smile I enjoy the community so much that I'm genuinely eager to welcome others. So... once again... welcome, my friend!
Robert Stroud
The New Scriptorium
Thanks Big Grin
It's good to be dealing with the nice people of these forums :wink:
Francisco Machado aka M.ilionario

Atheist

"You must not fight too often with one enemy, or you will teach him all your art of war" - Napoleon Bonaparte
Hi
I occassionally looked in to the old RAT as a guest and thought that I may as well sign up and do things properly at last. My interest in things Roman is mainly concerned with Roman Britain, but after visiting Italy a couple of times recently, I have started to get up to speed with other parts of the Empire as well.

Looking forward to getting involved a bit more here.
Hi Steffan,
Welcome to RAT. You've made the right decision!
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Hi, I'm Adam. I've been interested in most aspects of military history since I was a child but Rome has always been special. A couple of years ago I did a mature age course at university, Ancient Greece and Rome, and loved it.

I'm now at the same uni (Sydney) studying Ancient History and Classical Archaeology. I'm fascinated in Late Republican politics and I'm a big fan of Sulla. I believe he gets too much bad press!

I have also been involved in Wargaming since I was young and I'm currently putting together a Camillan Roman army to use in Warhammer Ancient Battles.

I would also love to get involved with re-enacting.
Adam Carr
Welcome, Adam,

You're in luck, mate! You live in one of the few places that has a showroom selling Roman and Greek re-enactment kit- over the bridge (coming from Balmain) on the right hand side after about five minutes.

The address is :-
186 Victoria Rd - DRUMMOYNE NSW 2047
SYDNEY AUSTRALIA
(02) 9719 2507
Showroom hours - Mon-Fri 9.30am - 5.00pm / Sat 9.00am - 2.00pm

http://www.ancientreplicas.com.au/

I looked in when I was in Aus on holiday, and it was run by a nice bloke named Daryl. I'm sure he could introduce you to the right people for re-enactment in Sydney.

Cheers

Caballo
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
welcome Adam to RAT
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.