Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late Roman Shields and Officers
Ave,

I'm curious, in the Late Roman period, I know they had the standard oval shield, which was about 42" x 36" in size, but what other types of shields would have been used? Is there evidence for smaller shields being used?

Also, most of the info out there seems to concentrate on the typical infantryman, but what about the officers? Would they have used the same shields as the infantry, or something else? And how about the cavalry, what did they use, if any?

Lastly, what sort of weaponry would an officer use? Say a Late Roman Centurion or Tribune, would they carry the standard spatha but also javelins or spears? What of bows?
M. Artorius C. f. L. n. Sub. Silvanus

aka David Coleman
Ave,

I know you are asking about a late impression but, I only have information on earlier times.

If it helps… in earlier times, a senior officer would often carry a Parazonium (Hellenistic Short sword) as often seen in statues from Julius Caesar to Hadrian and beyond . Germanicus’ statues shows him holding a long spear with an elaborate point and his Parazonium is attached to a baldric with a piece of linen or leather (e.g. no rings on the scabbard).

I have not seen any shields held in statues of officers but that does not mean they didn’t own them or keep them close by during the battles the oversaw.

Helmets are rarely seen being worn or even held by officers. The statues of the Praetorian Guard would be an exception, where the Praetorian’s are seen with the Hellenistic Attic helmet.

The Augustus Prima statue shows traces of red/white/and blue paint. Note, the alternating color pattern on the shoulders and around the waist, something authentic but rarely seen in recreation.

TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
Quote:Pliny records that the scarlet (red) dye from the kermes was used for dyeing the paludamentum, the distictive officer's cloak. 'Roman Military Clothing 1. page 24.

Hope that helps get you in the right direction!

Julius Caesar with his PArazonium
[Image: Julius%20caesar%20statue%20II_small.jpg]

Germanicus with his parazonium and spear
[Image: parazoniumgermanicusMintEmp3.jpg]

Augustus with the color restored based on the traces of paint found on the original statue
[Image: Augustus_color_restored_800.jpg]
Vale!

Antonivs Marivs Congianocvs
aka_ANTH0NY_C0NGIAN0

My ancient coin collection:
[url:3lgwsbe7]http://www.congiano.com/MyCoins/index.htm[/url]
Hi David,

Quote:I'm curious, in the Late Roman period, I know they had the standard oval shield, which was about 42" x 36" in size, but what other types of shields would have been used? Is there evidence for smaller shields being used?
Sure, for cavalrymen.

Quote:Also, most of the info out there seems to concentrate on the typical infantryman, but what about the officers? Would they have used the same shields as the infantry, or something else? And how about the cavalry, what did they use, if any?
Officers would fight in or close to the front line so they would have the same weapons as their subordinates.
Cavalry would have a smaller shield, or if wholly armoured no shield at all.

Quote:Lastly, what sort of weaponry would an officer use? Say a Late Roman Centurion or Tribune, would they carry the standard spatha but also javelins or spears? What of bows?
Of course a spatha, that's visible on all the statues etc. maybe also a semispatha and/or a dagger. Javelins probably not, since they did not have to throw them. Maybe they carried plumbatae? I do think they carried a lance, btw.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Is there evidence for smaller shields being used?

I believe Vegetius speaks of mixing light infantry with small shields in with cavalry and some carvings appear to show smaller shields, but I know of no archaeological examples and perspective is often idiosyncratic in relief carvings.

Quote:Lastly, what sort of weaponry would an officer use?

There is a nice carving of Stilicho leaning on a spear in a very comperable manner to earlier examples, but this seems to me to be primarily symbolic.
Salvianus: Ste Kenwright

A member of Comitatus Late Roman Historical Re-enactment Group

My Re-enactment Journal

~ antiquum obtinens ~
So basically, a LR Officer would have pretty mucht he same armor and equipment as his men, though probably not javelins and the like? And maybe a spear?

So a high ranking Officer, like a Tribune, if he fought with his men, would probably just have a sword and shield,while his men throw their missile weaponry as the officer directs, then only engages in combat once the forces collide in melee range? Sound reasonable?
M. Artorius C. f. L. n. Sub. Silvanus

aka David Coleman

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Late Roman Oval Shields from Dura Europos Matt Lukes 0 979 07-16-2005, 04:02 AM
Last Post: Matt Lukes
  Late 4th, early 5th century shields and calcei Marcus Mummius 14 3,415 05-31-2005, 06:45 AM
Last Post: aitor iriarte
  late roman bossless shields? TFLAVIUSAMBIORIX 7 1,929 05-02-2005, 01:46 AM
Last Post: marsvigilia