Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Germanic Knives / Daggers Help Needed
Salve, all. I'm still new to the Roman reenacting / living history game, and so that what better place to ask what I hope is a simple question.

I'm creating a auxiliary archer impression (the screen name sort of gives that away, eh?), and am thinking of the character being a Germanic type who decided to enlist for all those nice bennies, such as regular meals and citizenship.

As much as I have tried, I can't seem to figure out what kind of knives / daggers were in common use by Germanic peoples 2000 years ago. The seax, as cool a weapon as it is, seems not to have been in use that far back (but not being an expert on edge weapons, I may be very ignorant here), but there must have been some proto-seax of some sort? All this is to say, I want something a bit different than the Pugio, but what?

So, what do you folks think about my knife dilemma? Thanks in advance!
Dane Donato
Legio III Cyrenaica
I am working on a Batavian impression that will feature some early items, like the Krefeld helmet and a long-sword as opposed to an issue gladius.

Peronis, the "master" of all things Batavian, recommended a seax to me as a dagger for this earlier Batavian impression.

Edge
Gaius Aurelius Calvus
(Edge Gibbons)

Rules for Posting

LEG XI CPF
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.11thlegion.com">http://www.11thlegion.com

"Mens est clavis victoriae."
I have just finished two Germanic La Tene reconstructions for use in the Roman Festival. They still need the handlewrapping (rawhide around a wooden filler on the inside), but this shows the design of the knife beter. I did use a good steel, they have a nice ring to them, and I may put a proper edge on them after the festival. They are pretty lethal cutlery! Hope the pics help you.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Quote:I have just finished two Germanic La Tene reconstructions for use in the Roman Festival. They still need the handlewrapping (rawhide around a wooden filler on the inside), but this shows the design of the knife beter. I did use a good steel, they have a nice ring to them, and I may put a proper edge on them after the festival. They are pretty lethal cutlery! Hope the pics help you.

Wow, very nice knifes! Well done.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Great, Robert! Smile
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Thats a real nice bit of work Robert Lavdes from me Big Grin
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Oh gosh, guys :oops: Still, I did rings at the ends, but you can do a rounded knob, this is also evident in archeology, about the same period, which is 1 st cent BC running into 1st AD. Just upset the metal to thicken the end and work around with a light hammer to get a good shape. That will be on the next ones I do, but I have to again run into some really good steel for that. This is nearly tool grade, the amount of forge work making a good knife is about the same for mild steel and tool steel (some solid work, mind you!), so if you make a knife, make it to last and be servicable. I can hone these to a razor's edge and they will hold. Lethal!
A tip for working with higher carbons, do not overheat! Keep the air down, allow a slower heat and do not go to far into the yellow.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
Nice work Robert!! Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Oh, by the way, measurements are in inches, these are 34 centimeters long and weigh 196 grams.

Auxarcher, would you have any pointers on smithing trilobate arrowheads? I am doing an aux archer impression myself, have bow, quiver, shafts and good Duro style fletching, but want to make points and can't figure out a way to do them in three planes. Bifacial, no problem, just really small spearheads :lol:
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
Robert, those knives are drool-worthy. Beautiful work!

I am not a smith, alas. I am finishing up a small furnace for casting bronze parts for my scorpio minor and larger catapulta parts (propane fired, using a #6 crucible). I am planning to try casting some trilobate heads later from bronze for some war arrows and perhaps small darts.

I have a beautiful head by Hector Cole (UK), perhaps he is someone you can ask?
Dane Donato
Legio III Cyrenaica
Where in the world did you get a folding carpenter's rule in inches? I haven't seen one of those for years! That's not as impressive as the knives, mind you, but it's amazing. I'll bet I broke a dozen of those belonging to my Dad when I was a kid. He was never very amused, IIRC.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
David
The only thing I got on Seaxs' is Frankish(5thC) The usual design that most people think of, the Hurbuck and Honey Lane style didn't seem to appear until the 8thC. AD that is Big Grin
Jon R.
There are no real truths, just stories. (Zuni)
Quote:Auxarcher, would you have any pointers on smithing trilobate arrowheads? I am doing an aux archer impression myself, have bow, quiver, shafts and good Duro style fletching, but want to make points and can't figure out a way to do them in three planes.

I have an article that describes the process, PM me your email address and I'll send you a digital copy, Robert.
Robert

On which finds are your reconstructions of the knives based ?
Regards

Garrelt
-----------------------------------------------------
Living History Group Teuxandrii
Taberna Germanica
Numerus I Exploratores Teuxandrii (Pedites et Equites)
Ludus Gladiatorii Gunsula
Jomsborg Elag Hrafntrae
Quote:Robert

On which finds are your reconstructions of the knives based ?

[Image: smLaTene%20PhasesII.jpg]
Source: www.freewebs.com/belgaeusa/latenechronology.htm
ALA I BATAVORUM