Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marcus Aurelian Legionary!
Hi Folks,

Theo, great impression! It's refreshing to see a rather less explored period done well.
Tarbicus, thanks for posting the link to that discussion from last year, I had missed it somehow.

This is a subject that I have been curious about myself recently. I'm interested in the late 3rd-early 4th century and had pretty much assumed that mail and scale were the only options, I can see that more study is on order for me. :wink:

Lucianus
L.E. Pearson
so, a neidermormter with a long sleeved mail shirt and a spatha! A pugio, or no pugio, boots? Wide belt thin belt baldric no baldric?

To bad hans binsfeld doesn't answer queries, he seems to have decent gear, but maybe not?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I have found a sword I believe! And were ring pommel swords not 3rd century? I hope Patrik does not mind me posting a picture of his work, but I have found my soul mate! Love at first sight!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Yup, a ring-pommel sword is what you´d want. Smile
Have you any idea who might make one of these other than Patrick Barta at TEMPL? While his work is top-notch, his version is rather too luxurious for most, what with gold inlays and all. It sells for 2,800 EUROs, some $3,856 US at current rates.
http://www.templ.net/english/weapons-an ... mmel_sword

A possible answer might be ArmArt at 25,500 CZK ($1,264 US), but I have read too many bad things about them on the various fora.
Quote:I have found a sword I believe! And were ring pommel swords not 3rd century? I hope Patrik does not mind me posting a picture of his work, but I have found my soul mate! Love at first sight!
I have Patrick's #102 Roman Riding Sword that I use for my Age of Migrations living history characters and it is an absolutely superb piece. I was so impressed with it that I am now 10 months into a 30 month wait on his #118 Abingdon Anglo-Saxon Sword, although he just posted a new one that I might substitute, his #128 Gilling-West Sword. That is one stunning sword!

I will check Bishop & Coulston this evening and try to post on when the Romans used the ring pommels. Since they got the idea from the Sarmatians, I suspect that it would be after Marcus Aurelius' wars with them.
Quote:This is probably more Severan than Antonine, but ....

Front, and Rear

I call it my Mid-Roman impression.

~Theo
For some reason, I cannot get your pistures to come up on my machine.
I think the one I like is his 101.

Not too bad a price, but I am tempted by Repliks alan spatha too, altho more pricey Confusedhock: but nice 8)

The ring sword is pretty bling, but like you say, way steep on sesterces and denari
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
3rd Century ring pommels for the cavalry were on the way out by this time ,but the ring pommel continued in a Gladivs form into the 3rd AD .Gaivs the 101 is a good example of a sword of that period.
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
I think it is too late for me if it is 3rd century anyway....Marcus aurelius 180ad....... :? lol:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:I call it my Mid-Roman impression.

Stunning Jaime! A laudes!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Just need to wait on his response..... :roll:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Received a response from Ira, and Patrick! Big Grin

Hope to hear more soon...then will need to make decisions.... :lol: 8) Big Grin
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
greetings all
I´m thinking about marcus aurelius legionary impression. I have few questions, first - what type of belt would be more apropriate?
relatively thin belt with "letters" decoration? (that "Utere felix") or "ring belt" like these shown in osprey "WAR 072 - Imperial Roman Legionary AD161-284"?
Pavel Nikolajev / VANDALICVS
DECIMA GEMINA

DUM SPIRO SPERO
Well, I have the first piece of my impression, the brass neidermormter, intact at last.... :lol:

@ Ioannes : I have heard the Utere Felix belt is a viable option for that period Ioannes!
(Also better put your real name in your signature, be for the moderators get you!!)

Are you a member of a group? Keep me posted as to how you get on! Big Grin
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Hmmmm, I think I have my greaves....can't wait until they are available Big Grin D D 8)
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Roman Legionary of the reign of Marcus Aurelius PALongimanus 5 4,782 06-15-2014, 07:25 PM
Last Post: AMELIANVS