Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Macedonian Silver Shields
What did these shields look like? Were they bronze shields with silver decorations on them? Silver coated?
Thanks
Johnny Shumate
I fear, nobody knows this for sure. As far as I know, no example has survived and no accurate description is available. They were first mentioned with the reinforcements for Alexander when he was in the eastern parts of the former Persian empire. That being after the capture of the whole wealth of the Persian main cities it is quite probable that a silver finish was used. I imagine a small pelte-like phalangite shield (no aspis) made of wood with a layer of silver alone or over a layer of bronze. Perhaps also a very bright mixture of one of the copper alloy materials, but I believe rather in true silver. In the sun, the silver shields must have been even more impressing than bronze coated ones.
Wolfgang Zeiler
The Begora shields bronze remains have traces of mercury in the center.
Probably Philip II after taking the Krinidae goldmines stared giving gold decorations, at least to the officers.
Alex got a lot of loot after Issos. We can possibly assume that it was possible to supply the Hypaspists with silver sheets in form of the Argeadae Star - the dynastic symbol.
The Seleukides that were "filthy rich" had the resources to supply shields with a complete silver outer coating.

Kind regards
Makedonian peltai were circular, and made of wood and were rimless ( to allow two handed grip of the sarissa)
A thin bronze facing, some 26 inches in diameter from a pelte was found at Pergamum (illustrated on p.78 Connolly's 'Greece and Rome at war )
The argyraspides = 'silvershields' probably got their name from having a silver facing in lieu of bronze ( there was another phalanx unit in a Makedonian army called chalkaspides = bronze shields.)
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Truth is we do not know what was under the bronze of the Macedonian shield.
Nothing survived except the bronze facing.

"Chalkaspides" are mentioned with "Lefkaspides" (white shielded ones) by Polybius at Pydna. "Lefkaspides" were also the Tarantines of Pyrros if we belive Plutarch.

Argyraspides are more clear mentioned by Plutarch in life of Eymenes

Here are the Begora shields:
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t178 ... ER_004.jpg
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t178 ... ER_003.jpg

Kind regards
Those are great drawings..!
What are the dates on this shield..?
Greek writing Basileo..?
The diameter is about 52 cm..?
That means King...
Johnny
Johnny Shumate
They are dated mid 4rth century B.C. roughly Philip's time.
They are attributed to an officer of the Hypaspists.

The inscription is "King's" but it is speculated if it means:
"King's Present" or "King's bodyguard" ince only the word "King's" survive.

Kind regards
Is 52 cm the correct size..?
Thanks,
Johnny
Johnny Shumate
Depending on athe phallangites stature 50 to 65 cm is ok.
Most people estimate 60 cm.
Even if we assume that they were issued by the royal armories some variations might have existed.
Kind regards
Basically, the shield diameter needs to be tailored to the size of the forearm it's being strapped to.........
The shield is controlled by a combination of the arm strapping and neck strap .

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
.....some confusion here, Gioi :? )
Can you post other examples of Makedonian-type Pelte?? 8) 8) 8)

Paul McDonnell-Staff
Ah, I see what has happened ! :? Connolly illustrates the Pergamum relief on the same page (no. 5)...........
I meant his picture of the actual bronze facing found there (no. 3 ).....

And great deduction about the shield inscription, "Philip" is a distinct possibility ( from the spacing) whereas "Alexander" would not be... Smile

Paul McDonnell-Staff
Other possibilitsio for the inscription are :

VASILEOS SOMATOFYLAX

VASILEOS DORON EIMI

YPO VASILEOS DEDOMENI

Kind regards
I haven’t read this book and am thus unfamiliar with its contents, but it might be able to shed some light on some of the questions posted in this topic. It looks like a good place to start.

Treibverzierte Bronzerundschilde der italischen Eisenzeit aus Italien und Griechenland

Link:
http://www.antikmakler.de/catalog/produ ... cts_id/767

Cheers,

Martijn
Quote:Other possibilitsio for the inscription are :

VASILEOS SOMATOFYLAX

VASILEOS DORON EIMI

YPO VASILEOS DEDOMENI

Kind regards

Dear Stefanos, if you study carefuly, you see that the shield fragment started with the letter ( Ypsilon ) then continue the word Basileos... So my impresion is, that the letter "Ypsilon" its the end of a personal name.

When I try to match you frases, it doesn't match witn the ypsilon...

Do you have other posibilities words ending with ypsilon?

====================================================

BTW: Perhaps you refered to more variety of this shields not thisone.

Cheers Stefane.

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Macedonian Shields Dan Diffendale 5 1,893 12-13-2006, 05:50 PM
Last Post: hoplite14gr