Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Punic Wars -- Computer Game From HPS
New game on the Punic Wars

http://www.hpssims.com/Pages/products/A ... punic.html

HPS is a small company in Northern California that specializes in "old school" computer war games, that is games with the look and feel of the old Avalon Hill or SPI games from our ancient past (speaking in Game Years that is). This game. however, is not an abstract map & unit counter game per se.

Punic Wars Features

In addition to the main game engine there is also a scenario editor included which allows players to create their own scenarios from scratch, edit existing scenarios and also create their own Order of Battles. Detailed instructions are included on how to use the editors but also on how to calculate points for your army and even how to modify the stock graphics if a player so desires, called "Paint your own army". 38 maps are also included in the game covering historical locations and random ones, so a large amount of terrain is available for scenario designers to use creating custom battles.

The Ancient Warfare engine is a hex based, tactical, plot - simultaneous resolution engine. A game turn is composed of 3 phases - Each player assigns commands to his units; movement, changing formation etc. The computer then determines the net effect of these orders as the move is played out. Shooting and combat is automatic. At this point the players watch the outcome. The game then moves on to the next turn.

Game Scale: Each hex represents a distance of 20 meters. Each turn represents 15 minutes of real time.

The game may be played against the computer AI or via E-mail against another person.

I have not played Punic Wars, having a non-Intel based iMac precludes playing a lot of games (including Rome TW and Caesar IV). Cry

Perhaps some member of the forum has played this game and can give us a review.

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
The Wargamer has a pretty good review for the title. Troy Goodfellow who is a games reviewer with a history background also has a pretty nice review of the title.

Haven't gotten it myself either (no time), but it seems to be a promising title.
Regards,

Michael A./MicaByte
Thanks for the links to the reviews.

I am a fan of the "old school" of war games and HPS is one of the few companies still publishing games in that format. (Atomic Games was another until Hasbro/Avalon Hill got out of the computer games business.) Their Fulda Gap game was pretty good so I do have hope for Punic Wars.

Now, all I need is a new iMac with Intel CoreDuo...

Thanks again for the links.

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
I have play several games of the II WW, the Panzer campaign (Tobruk and Smolensk) and they are both excelents in the historical research.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Game on the 2nd Punic War Narukami 0 1,355 07-12-2010, 05:22 PM
Last Post: Narukami
  Punic Wars Caballo 5 3,207 05-06-2007, 11:44 AM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  New PC Wargame - Punic Wars Kevinus 2 2,051 02-04-2007, 08:44 AM
Last Post: S SEVERUS