Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Battle of Cunaxa Illustration
Many thanks, Laran! That picture is excellent for my research on Persian warfare. Laus ad te! Has that sarcophagus been published anywhere other than Arkeo-Atlas?

Its interesting that the shields lack the slight semicircular cutout of the Sidon Sarcophagus ones. Those peltai were certainly hide-faced wood, but these look like wood possibly faced with another material.

(A slight side-note Kai: if you look at the Greek of Xenophon's description of the enemy line at Cunaxa, you will find that Tissaphernes' men wore "bright body-armour" rather than the common English translation of "white cuirasses." The adjective can mean "white", but "bright" or "shining" is the core meaning and would make just as much sense in context).
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
Quote:Any more like this that you are aware of ?

Quote:Has that sarcophagus been published anywhere other than Arkeo-Atlas?

Don't know much about this, unfortunately. :? I'll try to learn though.

By the way, if you are interested, in the same magazine there are color photos of wall paintings showing Achaemenid warriors from Tatarli tumulus, near Afyon, Turkey, including unique depiction of the Immortals. These might have been published, but don't know if the color versions have.
Laran aka Sait
Sharon,
Thanks for the comments!
I paint in Adobe Photoshop CS2....
Johnny
Johnny Shumate
Quote:By the way, if you are interested, in the same magazine there are color photos of wall paintings showing Achaemenid warriors from Tatarli tumulus, near Afyon, Turkey, including unique depiction of the Immortals.

...yes please ! Smile I am sure everyone interested in this thread would love to see them !

Quote: These might have been published, but don't know if the color versions have.

Well, I for one haven't seen them published, and certainly not in colour - really looking forward to seeing them posted here !!
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Quote:Don't know much about this, unfortunately. :? I'll try to learn though.

By the way, if you are interested, in the same magazine there are color photos of wall paintings showing Achaemenid warriors from Tatarli tumulus, near Afyon, Turkey, including unique depiction of the Immortals. These might have been published, but don't know if the color versions have.
I'll try to get a hold of a copy, but I doubt I'll succeed. If the magazine is in Turkish I doubt any Canadian library on the university interlibrary loan network has a copy. And I doubt I could buy a copy online from any site I can read. I'd be very greatful if you can find any other publication or get more images online.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
Quote:
Quote:By the way, if you are interested, in the same magazine there are color photos of wall paintings showing Achaemenid warriors from Tatarli tumulus, near Afyon, Turkey, including unique depiction of the Immortals.

...yes please ! Smile I am sure everyone interested in this thread would love to see them !

Quote: These might have been published, but don't know if the color versions have.

Well, I for one haven't seen them published, and certainly not in colour - really looking forward to seeing them posted here !!

If you go to the website

http://www.museum-achemenet.college-de-france.fr/

Search for "battle" or "chariot." There are colour images and line drawings of some portions. The whole strip seems to show a funeral procession and a battle scene. The battle scene shows Persians (king in royal chariot, mounted archers) fighting Scythians (mounted archers, a few men on foot) while the funeral procession shows cavalrymen and Immortals carrying spears with apple-terminals.

Apparently, these are but two panels of a tomb that was entirely covered on the inside with them, and all were painted. Dating shows that this was the tomb of a man who was a veteran of the war against the Scythians (hence the decoration). The other beams are apparently still in Turkey and have not yet been published. The only reason these two are available is because they were sent to Munich in the 1960's, IIRC, and have been held in a museum there since.
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
Thanks for the info, Ruben. According to the article the panels which are in Munich are from the eastern wall of the tumulus. There's also a drawing of northern wall panels, however. It has a depiction of dancing warriors with shields (apparently aspides), spears, crested helmets, greaves, and sickle swords.
The eastern wall paintings show a convoy of men and women. The focal points are two chariots. One is open, while the other is covered. In the open chariot there's a man with a white kandys and a brown tiara. Right behind his chariot walk three infantrymen who hold their spears pointing downwards. They are believed to represent the Immortals. Herodotus mentions them carry their spears in this manner when crossing Hellespont. These paintings are unique in this respect. Behind them come four cavalrymen and three more close the convoy.
The other panel shows a battle between Persians and Scythians.
Laran aka Sait
Great,Laran.Laudes!All this info is excellent!Unique finds.
(And once more Herodotus is right in another of these small details)
In the first picture you posted,what are the hoplite-like warriors with the round shields?
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Laudes from me too Sait.
Very useful info.
Does ArkeoAtlas have a website?
Can you please provide more in fo in the "tatarli.jpg"?

Kind regards
Continued

Funeral panel drawing
[Image: ach5vg2.th.jpg]

Battle with Scythians drawing
[Image: ach6nl5.th.jpg]
Laran aka Sait
Quote:Does ArkeoAtlas have a website?

It does, ( www.arkeoatlas.com.tr ) but I think there's a problem with it.

Quote:Can you please provide more in fo in the "tatarli.jpg"?

These are paintings of the northern wall. On top are two animals sitting face to face. Since their heads are lost, it isn't known whether they are lions or sphynxes. Below them are four dancing warriors ( by their symmetrical poses and positions of their feet, it is decided that they are dancing, not fighting). Next is a frieze with three chariots and two men (the rest of the painting is lost). On the next frieze, there are six winged bulls and what seems to be an animal hunting scene. The last scene might depict either an audience or a meeting scene.

Quote:what are the hoplite-like warriors with the round shields?

I'm not sure, but IMO the dancing warriors might be Phrygians or Lykians. Compare with the now lost stele of Lykian warrior from Konya below. He is also armed with sickle sword and double-headed spear.
And below a bonus pic, a Lykian warrior from Kizilbel tumulus (From the same magazine Big Grin )
Laran aka Sait
Thanks Sait

Useful input of the relatively unknown Lykian infantry

Kind regards
Laus ad te, Laran! The burial techniques in both cases are interesting, as they are part of the local tradition rather than that of Persia (burial in clay coffins, burial in pits in stone tombs, and exposure all seem to have been used in Achaemenid Iran). Perhaps we are looking at the graves of Medized Anatolian aristocrats?

Edit: In case it helps in locating a hard copy of the photos, could you give us the page numbers of all those photos where they aren't obvious? I see they come from Vol. 89 of Arkeo-Atlas, published in 2007. That would also make citing them easier. I may just get these images printed in colour on good paper though!
Nullis in verba

Quote: I paint in Adobe Photoshop CS2....
Johnny

Smile D
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Courage is found in unlikely places. [size=75:2xx5no0x] ~J.R.R Tolkien[/size]
That one relief looks like a pylos helmet with a crest!! Never seen that before! Almost makes me for give my ancestors for using it!!!!!!! Confusedhock:

The idea of thigh protection built into the Horse's armour is interesting!
Have there been archaeological finds of this? It sounds like a real overload of a horse :? shock:

EDIT ***** Sorry about this post, I got reading the thread, and forgot I was only at the start!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Peltasts and chariots at Cunaxa Sean Manning 26 5,283 02-19-2013, 04:09 PM
Last Post: koechlyruestow
  battle of Cunaxa eugene 9 6,173 10-07-2010, 02:49 AM
Last Post: Macedon
  Cunaxa, Sippar, and the Canal of the King Jona Lendering 0 1,372 07-12-2006, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Jona Lendering