Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Priestesses and woman cults
Greetings,

Does any of your groups do a show/impression of priestesses at events?

Which cult do you present? What activities do you show?

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
We have one lady interested in our group in St. Louis (why, I'll never know! LOL) So this could be a great thread! Were you thinking of Vestals or other? What would be the reason a Preistess would be hanging around the military types??
Titvs Calidivs Agricola
Wes Olson

Twas a woman that drove me to drink, and I never thanked her. W.C. Fields
Quote:We have one lady interested in our group in St. Louis (why, I'll never know! LOL) So this could be a great thread! Were you thinking of Vestals or other? What would be the reason a Preistess would be hanging around the military types??

Yes, I hope we be able to get some information here.

My group has both a military and a civilian part. So the priestesses will not have a military function. Unless they want to make some extra money beyond their ours :wink:
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
As far as I know, there were few "full-time" priest/priestess occupations in Rome - except the vestal virgins and some augurs, priest would be a part-time responsibility of somebody influential or simply rich. At least within the official cults of the state. Some were very restricted in terms of public access to these honors, the Salii e. g. were high-class (and high-brow) noblemen who picked their members carefully. The order of the seviri augustalis, at least, was created as a counterweight to the old and conservative priesthoods, therefore it was possible for freedmen and even slaves to become sevir. By this, the emperors assured themselves the support of a rich, ambitious and enterprising class.

Sorry for this disgression - what I meant was: when not actively performing rites and wearing ritual garment, a priestess of some cult (except Vesta) would not be recogniseable. Just the opposite, ranks and membership among the bona dea and magna mater cults were secret to anyone except their members.
Of course there were people with "full-time" jobs within the religious service, like sacrificers, carriers of sacred instruments, adorners, sweepers, accountants and superintendents, nothing different from the staff at a library or any other business. But I've never heard of women in these jobs.

There were, however, freelancing women doing religious rites - witches, fortune tellers, herb hags. Some of those could be very rich and elegant, however, for a straight Roman citizen visiting a witch was a disreputable thing to do (though almost everybody had his own trusted witch around the corner).
Tertius Mummius
(Jan Hochbruck)
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.flavii.de">www.flavii.de
Thanks for the very informative reply!

The wiches, fortune tellers and herb hags interest me a lot. Are there any sources that say how they looked, dressed or what they did exactly?

I do not think our women want to become full time priestesses but they would like to show some sort of religious ritual. From classes I took at university I know quite a lot about very early Roman religion and how the religion worked and evolved but I know almost nothing about how the actual rites would have been carried out.

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
I've never done this impression at an event, but I do have a lot of info about the cult of Diana/Artemis, if you are interested.
Aurelia Coritana
aka Laura Sweet
[url:3tjsw0iy]http://www.theromanway.org[/url]
[url:3tjsw0iy]http://www.legionten.org[/url]

Si vales, gaudeo. (If you are well, then I am happy.)
Quote:I've never done this impression at an event, but I do have a lot of info about the cult of Diana/Artemis, if you are interested.

That would be great, thank you for the kind offer Aurelia!

Vale,
Jef
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
If you called upon me, I just might manifest myself at an event. I sort of leapfrogged over all mortal female impressions (except perhaps Amazons - but I haven't got the legs for that!) because most public female roles in Classical Antiquity are so curtailed to my "modern" sensibilities. It seems like Athena can do as she pleases as long as daddy Zeus doesn't get mad. :wink:
Cheryl Boeckmann
Here's a start for anyone interested in Artemis (mods - I have a lot of info on this topic. Please keep me under control if necessary.)

The Many Names of Artemis:

Artemis Agrotera - wild, 'of the field', to whom battlefield sacrifices are made.
Artemis Aigeira - Arkadia, priestess served until marriage.
Artemis Apanchomene - "strangled" (another name for Artemis Kondyleatis; story below*.)
Artemis Archegetis - Artemis referred to as "the Archegetis" in Aristophanes' Lysistrata. (See poem below***.)
Artemis Aristoboule - "Artemis Who Gives the Best Advice," name used as a dating criterion at Athens.
Artemis Astrateia - she who disperses invasion.
Artemis Blaganitis - of the frogs.
Artemis Boulephoros Skiris - money collected for her at Miletos.
Artemis Brauronia - at Brauron.
Artemis Chitonea - of the chiton (dancing costume - clothing was often dedicated to Artemis at the birth of a child.)
Artemis Chryselakatos -
Artemis Diktynna - transition: of a mountain pass, of water flowing through a river or channel, of ships passing through a strait.
Artemis Dynatera - "all-powerful"
Artemis Eileithyia - aid in childbirth.
Artemis Ephesia - at Ephesus.
Artemis Eukleia - protector of the city and of children, altars in Lokris and Boeotia, received offerings from brides and grooms before marraige.
Artemis Eulochia - aid in childbirth.
Artemis Euonumos - protector of women in childbirth.
Artemis Eupraxia - related to childhood.
Artemis Eurynome -
Artemis Genetaira - aid in childbirth.
Artemis Hegemone - in Arkadia.
Artemis Hekate - mentioned in relation to fines ($) and to childbirth.
Artemis Heleia - of the marsh.
Artemis Hemerasia - holds a poppy in her left hand.
Artemis Hemere - "Artemis the Tame," addressed to ease labor pains.
Artemis Hymnia - female priest in Arkadia and Mantineia is a virgin, or a post-menopausal woman.
Artemis-Iphegenia - refer to Euripides' Iphegenia in Taurus, temple to her at Hermion in Argos.
Artemis Kalliste - fertility? votive offerings of marble breasts in 3rd c. BC.
Artemis Karyatis - of the walnut trees, assists women on the verge of marriage.
Artemis Katagogis - "Artemis the Clothed", related to Kithone?
Artemis Kedreatis - of the cedar trees.
Artemis Kindyas - a wartime Artemis, credited for saving the city of Bargylia through epiphany.
Artemis Kithone - "clothed in a tunic"
Artemis Knagia - mentioned in relation to Sparta.
Artemis Knakalesia -
Artemis Kolainis - fertility? (offerings of sculpted breasts and vulva found.)
Artemis Kondyleatis - "strangled" (another name for Artemis Apanchomene; story below*.)
Artemis Koryphaia - of the peak.
Artemis Korythalia -
Artemis Kourotrophos - protector of children.
Artemis Kyparissia - of the cypress trees.
Artemis Laphria - at Patrai; festival marked by unusual butchery of animals (see below**) and by procession in which the priest rides in a cart pulled by deer.
Artemis Leukophryene -
Artemis Limnaia - "of the marsh", protector of the city and of children (countryside use.)
Artemis Limnatis - "marshy", protector of the city of Limnai (near Sparta) and of children (countryside use.)
Artemis Lochia - aid in childbirth, holds a torch.
Artemis Lokhia - birth deity, same as Lochia.
Artemis Lousoi - at Lousoi (Arkadia).
Artemis Lysizonos - sexual transition, "She Who Loosens the Belt."
Artemis Mesopolitis - in the heart of the city.
Artemis Mounuykhia - in Piraeus, associated with a footrace.
Artemis Oraia - protects infants in the womb, "She Who Ripens."
Artemis Ortheia - at Messene, 3rd c. BC statue wearing animal skin and boots.
Artemis Orthia - mentioned in relation to Helen of Sparta, related to childbirth.
Artemis Orthosia - "who sets upright."
Artemis Orthria - "Artemis of the dawn," represented in the song: "For as we carry a robe to the Dawn Goddess (Orthria) the Pleiades rise through the ambrosial noght like the star Sirius and fight us."
Artemis Pergaia - in relation to equality between spouses, the priestess at Halikarnassos was to be born from two citizen parents, wtih citizens on both sides for three generations.
Artemis Philomeirax - protector of the city and of children.
Artemis Phosphoros - "Torchbearer," associated with a footrace involving torches.
Artemis Polo - votives found on Thasos.
Artemis Proskopa - "Lookout", scout who watched for danger at borders.
Artemis Purphoros - "Torchbearer," associated with a footrace involving torches.
Artemis Soodina - to relieve labor pains (and her twin Artemides Praiai, the "Tamed Double Artemis.")
Artemis Soteira - protector of the city and of children, portrayed as a huntress, holding two torches (at Megara, Buzantion, and Odessos.)
Artemis Tauropolia - of Tauris, festival called the Tauropolia.
Artemis Tauropolos - same as Tauropolia? Also worshipped in Amphipolis.
Artemis Throsia - presided over the 'successful male procreative act.'
Artemis Triklaria - at Patras, priestess was a parthenos and held the office until marriage.

*The story is, a group of children once placed a noose around the neck of a statue of Artemis, "strangling" her. The adults punished the children by stoning them to death, which angered the goddess so much she threatened the whole community with extinction by a desease that would cause all infants to die in the womb. A normal pattern on childbirth was not restored until they consulted the oracle at Delphi, gave the children a normal burial, and honored them with sacrifice.

**The festival of Artemis Laphria at Patrai included what was referred to as a "holocaust of birds and wild animals - wolves, bears, wild boars, deer, and even gazelle." Winessed by Pausanias.

***Section of Aristophanes' Lysistrata:
"When I was seven years old
I was an arrephoros,
then I was a 'corn-grinder' at ten
for the Archegetis (Artemis),
and then wearing a saffron-coloured robe
a bear at Brauronia,
and as a beautiful girl I was a basket-bearer
wearing a necklace of dried figs."
Aurelia Coritana
aka Laura Sweet

The day on the modern calendar known as August 13, was known to the Ancient Romans as Nemoralia (aka Festival of Torches), later adopted by Catholics as The Feast of the Assumption. This festival is celebrated either on the 13-15th of August (or on the August Full Moon) in honor of the goddess Diana.

Ovid describes the celebration thusly:

"In the Arrician valley,
there is a lake surrounded by shady forests,
Held sacred by a religion from the olden times...
On a long fence hang many pieces of woven thread,
and many tablets are placed there
as grateful gifts to the Goddess.
Often does a woman whose prayers Diana answered,
With a wreath of flowers crowning her head,
Walk from Rome carrying a burning torch...
There a stream flows down gurgling from its rocky bed..."

At this festival, worshippers formed a shimmering procession of torches and candles around the dark waters of Lake Nemi (Nemi, from the Latin nemus, meaning sacred wood or sacred grove), Diana's Mirror. The lights of their candles join with the light of the moon, dancing in reflection upon the surface of the water.

Hundreds joined together at the lake, wearing wreaths of flowers. According to Plutarch, part of the ritual (before the procession around the lake) was the washing of hair and dressing it with flowers. It was a day of rest for women and slaves. Hounds were also honored and dressed with blossoms. Travellers between the north and south banks of the lake were carried in small boats lit by lanterns. Similar lamps were used by Vestal virgins and have been found with images of the Goddess at Nemi, so Diana and Vesta are sometimes linked (or even considered to be the same Goddess.)

One 1st century CE Roman poet, Propertius, did not attend the festival, but observed it from the periphery as indicated in these words to his beloved:

"Ah, if you would only walk here in your leisure hours.
But we cannot meet today,
When I see you hurrying in excitement with a burning torch
To the grove of Nemi where you
Bear light in honour of the Goddess Diana."

Requests and offerings to Diana included: small written messages on ribbons, tied to the altar or to trees; small baked clay or bread statuettes of body parts in need of healing; small clay images of mother and child; tiny sculptures of stags; dance and song; and fruit such as apples.

In addition, offerings of garlic were made to the Goddess of the Dark Moon, Hecate, during the festival. Hunting or killing of any beast was forbidden on Nemoralia.

Other days of the year that honor Diana are:

FEB 12
APR 11 ("Diana's Bread" baked today)
MAY 26 - 31
Aurelia Coritana
aka Laura Sweet

EPHESUS:

The cult of the Roman Diana eventually merged with that of the Hellenic Artemis, goddess of the moon. She was worshipped in Ephesus in the form of a black meteoric stone fashioned into a many-breasted image of the Great Mother. (The Great Temple at Ephesus, one of the famed Seven Wonders, was destroyed in the year 405 CE. )

Diana is the Goddess of the hunt, who refused marriage and the typical feminine roles of the age. Diana was served by two kinds of priestess: the melissai, "honeybees," and the remarkable male-to-female "megabyzes," a title of Persian origin. The megabyzes were famed throughout the known world for wisdom and beauty. They carried the image of the Goddess in grand processions on her local festival in late May. Diana's cult was also served by a number of priests who made sacrifices to the goddess in behalf of the city. Other subordinate classes of priests known as Kouretes, Krobatai, and Hilroi performed duties which are now obscure.

NEMI:

The Rex Nemorensis is often mentioned in connection with Diana as the "chief priest." However, Pascal makes the argument that the Rex Nemorensis is not a priest of Diana specifically, but a priest of the place, more akin to the Rex Sacrorum in Rome. He is not named the Rex Dianius, and his function serves more as a local religious official within the local cult, which in Nemi happens to be the cult of Diana.

Characteristics of the Rex Nemorensis:

a. The priest of Diana was known as the Rex (king) Nemorensis.
b. He won his office with the sword by a single combat.
c. He was a runaway slave.
d. Any challenger to the rex signals the combat by plucking a branch from the forbidden tree in the grove.
Aurelia Coritana
aka Laura Sweet

Quote:The wiches, fortune tellers and herb hags interest me a lot. Are there any sources that say how they looked, dressed or what they did exactly?

There are some descriptions of witches in Apuleius' "Asinaria" and in Petronius' "Satyricon", and of course those are thessalian and greek witches, not Roman (who would write a novel about something as dull as Roman life?). While these witches are fictional, there's a short description of the Roman "witch" Locusta at Sueton.

Not quite the women you would want to meet, if you ask me ...

(edit)

I'Ve thumbed through a book by Andrea Giardina, "Der Mensch der römischen Antike (Man in Roman antiquitiy). Though the main focus of chapter two "the priest" is the male priest and the author, John Scheid, makes it clear that female priestesses were obviously only the Vestals (at least concerning Roman cults, he says nothing about Isis or Mithras) he points out that a Roman Flamen was nothing without Flaminica, the highest Flamen (priest of Jupiter) represented Jupiter in a way that his marriage could not be divorced besides death, and the priest would lose his office on the day his wife died.

About the "witches" he doesn't add much, he says something about the Sibyll of Cumae (an obvious cultural import from Greece) who provided the Sibylllinian Books, the only "official" source of fortune-telling within Roman religion. But Campania itself must have been full of local "Sibylls in residence", very much alike to witches and wise women of the medieval. At least that's the picture I get from Apuleius and Petronius (Apuleius even describes the use of special "flying ointment", something found common among witches of the medieval well into the 18. century).
Tertius Mummius
(Jan Hochbruck)
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.flavii.de">www.flavii.de
Here's a relatively new book that might be of interest:

Women's Religious Activity in the Roman Republic (Studies in the History of Greece and Rome)
by Celia E. Schultz

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/080783 ... =wl_it_dp/

I haven't read it yet, though. It's still on my wishlist.
Aurelia Coritana
aka Laura Sweet

This website has some interesting information about roman goddess rituals ...

http://inanna.virtualave.net/roman.html
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Courage is found in unlikely places. [size=75:2xx5no0x] ~J.R.R Tolkien[/size]
Depending upon what period you are discussing, there were a number of Eastern mystery religions that had adherents in Rome and many of these had priestesses. The Isis Cult comes most immediately to mind, bur a reading of Paul's Epistles will tell you that there were women who led house churches for the early Christians in Rome and elsewhere.

And then there is always the Bona Dea rite which was very strictly for the patrician matrons of Republican Rome but was also apparently a source of endless fascination for their husbands.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman priests/ priestesses Memmia 5 1,748 08-02-2014, 10:08 PM
Last Post: Memmia
  phallic cults in Antiquity eugene 3 1,607 11-03-2010, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Jona Lendering
  Roman Woman Had Golden Smile Ioannis 3 2,179 06-10-2007, 05:18 PM
Last Post: Marcus Mummius