Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
painting a gladius scabbard
Hi, i'm in the process of redoing a Pompeii gladius scabbard and would like to know what would be a good paint to paint the leather with.

Thanks in advance. Smile

Maius/Bill
Marcus Petronius Maius
LEG XIIII GEMINA COH VI
If you don't mind modern paints, I used shoe dye (which is actually paint):

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i311/ ... e_crop.jpg
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Shoe dye or leather dye? Not sure of the difference, but we use Fiebing's leather dyes.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Dylon leather shoe dye.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Some shoe dyes are more waterproof (and smellier during application) than Fiebing's. I use the latter, too, but it requires a sealer of some sort to keep it from running during rainy days, or in the event that water gets on the leather.

Just my experience. I don't know what the Romans used. Maybe encaustic paints?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Or dyed them with natural dyes. This is more durable than painting the scabbard. Sadly most of the veg tan leather you can buy cannot be dyed very well with natural dyes. Alumn tanned leather can be dyed very well with natural dyes though. I wished I knew were to buy some.

By the way, I have good experiences with the Dylon shoepaint too.

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
A very quick search did not reveal any US sources, just UK, for Dylon shoe paint. Could be it's only available in Europe. The alternative would be to go to a good shoe store with the leather, and have them dye it with commercial dyes. They could tell if the leather would take the dye they had, I think, maybe by just testing a sample when they dyed some other shoe.

Might give it a try. I have some dye fade on a linen and a white tunic that I wish weren't there. Should have worn a wide sash under the belt, I guess. Nice to know now. After. Sad
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:A very quick search did not reveal any US sources, just UK, for Dylon shoe paint. Could be it's only available in Europe. The alternative would be to go to a good shoe store with the leather, and have them dye it with commercial dyes. They could tell if the leather would take the dye they had, I think, maybe by just testing a sample when they dyed some other shoe.

Might give it a try. I have some dye fade on a linen and a white tunic that I wish weren't there. Should have worn a wide sash under the belt, I guess. Nice to know now. After. Sad

Yeah, that sucks. I have some red leather belts that keep bleeding colour on other things Confused
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Here's a UK based Ebay seller who posts to the US.
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Nikas-Shoe-Car ... idZ2QQtZkm

I'm sure there are plenty of others if you search on Ebay.com and search with the international sellers option on.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Thanks everyone for your responses, they were most helpful. Big Grin

Tarbicus, is that your gladius? WOW, thats beautiful, really amazing work!

Maius/Bill
Marcus Petronius Maius
LEG XIIII GEMINA COH VI
That's one of them, yes, thanks. A pimped up cheapy from Ebay. The studs are small brass buttons, and silver leaf was used for the silvering. The gladius is my Len Morgan Pompeii, util I get around to making the faux-ivory handle for the actual blade that goes with the scabbard.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1st Century Roman Fulham Gladius Sword and Scabbard Pointer 4 1,741 07-13-2018, 05:58 PM
Last Post: Pointer
  Searching For Scabbard and Gladius PARTS Pointer 19 5,092 02-16-2013, 10:22 AM
Last Post: Pointer
  pompei gladius whit scabbard plates from carnuntum munazio planco 2 2,085 07-10-2012, 01:01 AM
Last Post: arklore70