Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Helmets
Here's a horny Corninthian ( I merged the topics smoothly)
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
Indeed Smile
Horned corinthians and not only corinthians,existed but were most popular in Italy.I don't know where the above corinthian was found.
The helmet of Athena though has an odd style of horns,and the helmet itself is odd,too.
Khairete
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Quote:.I don't know where the above corinthian was found.
Looks like the one in Geneva that *might* have come from Taranto.
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
The helmet itself looks very much like one in Aberdeens Art Gallery, minus the horns, that is...
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
This one I believe is in a museum in St. Lous, Missouri.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
Quote:This one I believe is in a museum in St. Louis, Missouri.
Yes, it is. This helmet has been linked to a group of robbed tombs at Metapontum connected with the 4th-century tyrant Archelaos. Other objects from the tombs bore the ram's head motif.
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Any idea how this helmet would have been made?It can't be one piece,but the joint is not at all visible.
Giannis K. Hoplite
Did they really wear such helmets in Battle?
I would be very unhappy to have a horned helmet beside me in the Phalanx, that could be a very pain full position......... Big Grin
Or could it be that these helmets were made for parades or ceremonial occasions?

Kind regards
Strategos
(Willi Miesen)

Athenian Hoplite
[url=http://www.hetairoi.de]
There is pottery showing warriors with elaborate helmets.
Please have the patience to look the Greek section.
Members have posted in various thread and reenactors in Spain proved it possible. See the Greek warrior impression thread.
The helmet with the ram crest was probably on the altar Ares.
It is unbalanced to be used in battle.
Kind regards
But yet,you'd need a reconstruction to see what is wearable or not.Examples are the horned helmets from Spain,that you mentioned,or Philip's iron cuirass that was thought too heavy but it was roved to be usuable...
Strategos,in the thread crests there is a list with all the threads that have to do with crests.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
I look at that Geneva horned helmet, and I see 12 potential inches of added protection either side at the top of the head, and if on a man it would make him seem 12 inches taller.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Tarbicus,look my avatar.The hoplite on the right is Eduardo from Spain...
Giannis K. Hoplite
I think welding bronze was a skill not unknown to ancient greeks, but I could be wrong!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel