Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Image Basar - Make your Pics Available to the Community
Hello dear fellow forumers,

I have two questions concerning the images used at RAT:

1. Are they copyright protected? Can they be used for Wikipedia? And if so, how should crediting be done?

2. With so many of us shooting pictures of Greek and Roman places and things all over the Med and beyond, what do you think of making this thread a small basar for images? That is people put their request for pics of certain things here and others may surf their private photo collection for them and make them available.

For example, I am looking for copyright free pics of the sliding and folding doors at Pompeii (or rather their plaster casts), for the grooves of sliding doors at the entrances of Pompeii shops, and also for Pompeian mills, but unfortunately I haven't visited the place since 1988...

Your sentiments?

Eleatic Guest
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)
Which images are you refering to Stefan? Many members post their own images, you should ask each individual member for permisssion. Others post pictures copied from books, which are not usable for Wikipedia.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Which images are you refering to Stefan? Many members post their own images, you should ask each individual member for permisssion.

I am generally talking about all the pictures made by RAT members privately with their camera in holidays. Specifically, I am also talking about the image database of RAT of which I am not sure whether the pics are copyright free or not.

Quote:Others post pictures copied from books, which are not usable for Wikipedia.

I am NOT talking about these pictures, although these pictures are in my (and Wikipedia's understanding) copyright free, if the creator of the item photographed is longer than 70 years dead. In that case, pics cannot be protected according to EU and US law and are for free use for all, whoever had shot and published the picture.
Quote:image database of RAT of which I am not sure whether the pics are copyright free or not.
In the case of both the helmet and tombstone database, the copyright holder is always mentioned. It'd seldom be a problem if you want to use any of those pictures, but it's always nicer to ask.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Quote:
Quote:image database of RAT of which I am not sure whether the pics are copyright free or not.
In the case of both the helmet and tombstone database, the copyright holder is always mentioned. It'd seldom be a problem if you want to use any of those pictures, but it's always nicer to ask.

Certainly. Big Grin

That leaves point 2. What do you think of the idea of establishing in some corner of the forum a picture basar for specific motives (artifacts, buildings, armor, swords, etc.?
I am looking for self-made pictures of the Diolkos at the Isthmus of Corinth, preferably where the trackway is shown with grooves like kind of an ancient railway.