Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Decurion
There is very little evidence for an actual 'rank' for anyone in charge of a contubernium, as far as I know. On Carlton's recent visit to the Nijmegen museum, we finally realized that therer's one there. A bronze kettle/pot is inscribed for ownership, saying it belongs to "the contubernium of Y in the century of X"
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Perhaps it was a shorter word starting with C and ending in T? :roll:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:There is very little evidence for an actual 'rank' for anyone in charge of a contubernium, as far as I know.
Of course, the Roman army is full of "functions" which did not affect a man's rank. (See Ancient Warfare #2 p. 50 for some of these. )

But why would we need a contubernium leader? To make sure the room gets kept tidy? Smile
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Jasper Oorthuys:1b0fah7u Wrote:There is very little evidence for an actual 'rank' for anyone in charge of a contubernium, as far as I know.
Of course, the Roman army is full of "functions" which did not affect a man's rank. (See Ancient Warfare #2 p. 50 for some of these. )

But why would we need a contubernium leader? To make sure the room gets kept tidy? Smile
Maybe to lead a small detail? I could imagine a contubernium being detached to perform some small task or duty. If it wasn't feasible for an Officer to lead them, they would need some sort of nominal leadership, I would think. Perhaps they had something analgous to a Sergeant?

The variable sizes of Units in action (depending on period and locale) suggest to me that variable sized contubernium grouped around an individual would make sense as a practical method of organisation within the Century. All just supposition, though.

[Edit] Just to be clear, I think it is Polybius' Legionary Cavalry that is the origin of the Decurion as leader of ten men:
Quote:The cavalry is divided also into ten parts or troops. In each of these, three captains first are chosen; who afterwards appoint three other officers to conduct the rear. The first of the captains commands the whole troop. The other two hold the rank and office of decurions; and all of them are called by that name. In the absence of the first captain, the next in order takes the entire command.

Matthew James Stanham
It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one\'s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)
Look at hadrians wall! Each section shows a difference in build, as if the contaburnium built this! Each one would surely require some on the spot direction, hence a contaburnium leader! 8)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:There is very little evidence for an actual 'rank' for anyone in charge of a contubernium, as far as I know. On Carlton's recent visit to the Nijmegen museum, we finally realized that therer's one there. A bronze kettle/pot is inscribed for ownership, saying it belongs to "the contubernium of Y in the century of X"
Jasper, are Y and X men's names?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
May be, Tarby, but we know they wore genes. :lol:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I remember reading somewhere that decurion was also used as a title for what amounted to the civilian town councilmen in the Late Empire. Is this a correct memory?
Quote:I remember reading somewhere that decurion was also used as a title for what amounted to the civilian town councilmen in the Late Empire.
Not just the Late empire, Hugh. The civic elite of any Roman city were organised as an ordo decurionum. Inscriptions (e.g. ILS 6121 from Canusium, Italy) suggest that there might be up to 100 decurions.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Thank you, D.B.
I have read that the chief of the Legionary cavalrymen (the quoted 120) were too a centurio and not a decurio. So decurio were only at the auxiliary cavalry.
Quote:Jasper, are Y and X men's names?
Yup. I just forgot the names. You can check it for yourself this November.
Big Grin
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Lvcivs that is right since they are mounted infantry used as gofers in the Legion. They are just another specilist trade within the Legion.
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Quote:Lvcivs that is right since they are mounted infantry used as gofers in the Legion. They are just another specilist trade within the Legion.

And yet in battle they were apparently brigaded with the rest of the cavalry. So I don't think we can dismiss them as simply "scouts and messengers".

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
Quote:
Quote:Jasper, are Y and X men's names?
Yup. I just forgot the names. You can check it for yourself this November.
Big Grin
Cheers.

Well there you go, proof of a man in charge of a contubernium. Well spotted you two.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Decurion LonginusXXI 0 397 11-15-2020, 01:34 AM
Last Post: LonginusXXI
  \"Decurion\" vs. \"decanus\" TIM 11 4,590 08-10-2012, 03:03 PM
Last Post: Mark Hygate
  Imperial Roman Decurion MVinc 5 2,886 11-25-2011, 02:57 AM
Last Post: MVinc