Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question for Graham...Deurne shoe
Who made that Cezar?
Impressive detail!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Martin Moser, of course.
Quote:And if anybody have the Carol article, i'm interested, too. I have to make a late roman impression or my comrades of group will drop me out of the legio... :lol: :lol: :wink:
For sure... 8)
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
:twisted: Remember, i'm the (p)resident evil!
Quote:Sorry, I meant to post a picture of the shoes when not being worn as well. In this photo I have taken the lace out of one shoe to allow the shoe itself to be seen more easily. If you look very carefully you might even be able to see the holes where I took the hobnails out :roll: .
Very neat!!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:i have a question: the "scalloped" border looking like a saw blade it's a decorative implement as Sarah have reconstructed, or is caused by the degradation of a sewing?
No, the shoe is still in perfect condition, really top class work. Sarah re-created the original decoration, apart from the many slits in the side of the shoe, where she only made almost invisible incision, because she thought it would ruin the shoe.

Quote:If you look the first picture of the post, seems as the upper border were two layers of leather, or the leather turns back itself, probably to make it stronger. And in the point sewing, you can see a very similar "saw blade" efect.
What do you think?
I'm not sure what you mean there. The front of the shoe? The 'bunching up' of the leather due to the sewing indeed creates an almost similar effect.

Quote:I like too the Crispus ones, probably better for a strong late roman soldier as him. :wink:
Are you calling me a sissy? GRRRRRRR :x

Quote:I have to make a late roman impression or my comrades of group will drop me out of the legio... :lol: :lol: :wink:
They can't! You are married to the empress!! :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Hi Cesar,

Quote:And if anybody have the Carol article, i'm interested, too.

Which article exactly are you referring to, please? if it's this one I have it:

Van Driel-Murray, C. (2000): A late Roman assemblage from Deurne (Netherlands). Bonner Jahrbücher 200: 293-308.
That's! Thanks, if you can send it to me.

What do you think about the "saw like" border of the Deurne shoes. It's decorative or it's the remaining of a border stitching.
Quote:What do you think about the "saw like" border of the Deurne shoes. It's decorative or it's the remaining of a border stitching.

After having taken a good look at the original, I think it's border stitching:
[Image: deurneshoe.jpg]
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
I have thought that because the similarity between the "scalloped" border and the aspect of the point stitching. And because the presence of a inner layer of leather, clearly visible in the upper part of the picture.

Originally, probably the thin leather were doubled over himself and secured with a stitching similar to the one used by Martin Moser in one of his Vindolanda Fishnet Boots, posted above.

The thin leather were only a little corroded, and disappears on the zone where the cord was placed.

I agree with Robert that the piece is excepcionally well preserved, but probably the stitching was made in wool or linen and its almost impossible that materials remains in a wet condition.

Probably the descomposition of the wool/linen causes a little local greater descomposition of the leather nearer in contact, bringing the border that "saw like" effect, caused by the sucesion of the holes made for the stitching.

I don't know if my explanation is very clear. I hope you know what i want to mean.
Quote:I have thought that because the similarity between the "scalloped" border and the aspect of the point stitching. And because the presence of a inner layer of leather, clearly visible in the upper part of the picture.

According to the van Driel article, the shoe consists of only one layer of leather, which has split over time (not uncommon with such finds it seems) giving now the impression of two layers. Under that condition I doubt that the scalloping on the upper edges is from stitching like you showed on the shoe above which I did. I rather think the leather has been cut that way and possibly additionally been decorated with stitching (another shoe of the finds was, apparently).

About the sawtooth-like effect of the other seams, this I think is what you get from a flesh/edge seam, which seems to have been the way these seems were done.
About the question whether shoes like these we are talking about here could have a seperate sole or not: the picture with the detail of the Tetrachs' statue on p.138 in the article linked here, looks to me like they are wearing shoes with an outer sole.
Now if only there was a find to corroborate this ....
Hi Franklin and All,

Here is a picture of my version 1 of the Deurne shoe. It is my first attempt of this style. They are very comfortable and fit pretty well so I'm planning to take them apart, make an accurate pattern and then make them up with a nailed sole. The soles they currently have are sewn on.

[Image: DeurneShoe.jpg]

Lucianus
L.E. Pearson
Lucianus,

This is EXACTLY what I imagined my reconstruction to eventually look like. When you complete that pattern is there any chance you could scan and attach it here?

Laudes heartily awarded.
Franklin Slaton
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
Your mother wears caligae!
Also, do you have any other photos? The more the better!
Franklin Slaton
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
Your mother wears caligae!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question for Graham Sumner Doc 2 1,356 02-18-2008, 12:13 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius
  Hamata covers? Graham Sumner question?? Peroni 24 6,290 06-08-2007, 01:12 PM
Last Post: Praefectusclassis