Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RUGBY! Here we go...!
ABs' and the Boks' for the final. Pumas'and Wallys in the semis.
Jon R.
There are no real truths, just stories. (Zuni)
The Pumas will make short work of old ed o sullivan
"The Kaiser knows the Munsters,
by the Shamrock on their caps,
And the famous Bengal Tiger, ever ready for a scrap,
And all his big battalions, Prussian Guards and grenadiers,
Fear to face the flashing bayonets of the Munster Fusiliers."

Go Bua
Hey, Hib !

Didya see the Samoa - Eagles game? ( of course you did! Smile )
Close,eh, and Samoa are nobody's easybeats !
A pity they will have to leave the tournament still with only two wins in the World Cup - ironically both over Japan - ...........somehow I don't see them knocking off the 'Boks Sad (
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
The first and the only victory of Romania to this World Cup is over Portugal! :lol: But it is a victory! If the Oaks had payed more attention in the game agains Italy, they would have two victories now. Sad lol:
one win will lead to two ect, ect (so long as you dont beat ireland0

Go Bua
Samoa v USA.. yeah I saw it, watched it mostly twice.... watched the last 4 minutes too many times.... kudos to the Samoans for running down the clock.... !

We need a kicking game... missed too many penalty kicks throughout the tournament.

We have endurance, need CAPs. I think most of the Springboks have more CAPs per man than the entire USA side put together. Maybe they'll play their second stringers... either way I'll be glued to the tube. Maybe I'll pre-salt my beer so the tears won't be noticed.

Ireland? ...my second team.. sigh.

The sides are growing more even and that's a good thing. Rumor is that more Americans will be picked up by other teams.. hope so.. Rugby here is still by far an amateur sport.. though San Diego has a strong local sport club .. OMBAC... Old Mission Beach Athletic Club... Rugby, "Over The Line" and more..

An aside:
http://www.ombac.org/over_the_line/index.html
check out the names of some of the teams in the various years...

Sean
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America
Yahoo ! That's the preliminaries over with for us, with a tough game in the wet against a very hard-driving tough Canada, who made the 'Wobblies' ( affectionate oz humour, 'cos they are a bit error prone...) work hard.

Only us and the All-Blacks have emerged with maximum, including all possible bonus, points..........please, oh gods of weather, don't let it be raining when we play them....they always beat us in the rain.... Cry Cry

But in the meantime......bring on Hapless England :evil: :twisted: for our long-awaited revenge match.....oh, how I hope we don't just beat them, but put them to the sword....stick fifty points on them...put them to the slaughter, mwoo..ha..ha....ha!! :evil: :twisted: :twisted:

And well done little minnow Fiji ! Smile D Go, GO GO! Pacific nations

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Seems thats what I heard last time around 8)
But then it may go that way this year :oops:
Like I said before.We are an OK quarters team but usually get stuffed on the big one.
I cant see why they want to drop to 16 teams. Some of the smaller sides put on some good games. Fiji, Tonga ect.
Dropping to 16 would be .. not good... except for the heavy weights who would prefer to dominate Rugby for decades to come.. heaven forbid, for example, the USA fan base increase and the pool of skilled players increase... or that any other "lesser side" actually begin to win tournaments!

Sean / Hibernicus
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America
Canada V Fiji is a case in point. Never quit. The announcers thought it was going to be a runaway but the Canucks really got stuck in. I would rather watch that than a cricket score involving one of the "big" 4. But then I like to watch a rugby game not an ego trip.
Who's to say next time around Portugal wont hand out some thumping.
All to the good I say.
Jon R.
the only way for teams in any sport to improve is to play the better teams and if that means they get beaten like dogs then it happens Cry

Go Bua
Quote:Dropping to 16 would be .. not good... except for the heavy weights who would prefer to dominate Rugby for decades to come.. heaven forbid, for example, the USA fan base increase and the pool of skilled players increase... or that any other "lesser side" actually begin to win tournaments!

Absolutely ! As it is, the 'big powers' dominate financially etc to the detriment of the smaller nations.......very short-sighted if Rugby is to be a truly 'World Game'....I think the tournament should be expanded if possible, not shrunk...

...and Heaven help the rest of us if the U.S.A takes a real interest in Rugby... :roll: :roll:

Paul McDonnell-Staff
WOE! WOE! AND THRICE WOE!!!!!

Wallabies and All-Blacks out of the Cup ! One, maybe chance...but BOTH !! The 'Boks will be laughing now.......

A Cynic could be forgiven for thinking that professional sport decreed there must be a Northern Hemisphere team in the final or all those Euro T.V.'s might watch something else and those who paid mega-bucks for the rights and advertising would not be happy........the team beaten by Argentina beat the All-conquering All-Blacks ???

And how did the Wallabies allow themselves to fall into England's boring style of oh-so-slow play followed by Jonny's boot ? Blind Freddy could have seen that was how England would play....and the 'Wobblies' just went along with it?.....

Shock, Horror ! Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry

Like Caesar, I throw my toga over my head.....

Paul McDonnell-Staff
I was just about to say that there had been a distinct lack of comment on this thread and you jumped in there, Paul!!

Gosh, what a day of surprises. You might be a cynic, but I was convinced France had deliberately been given a group and a draw that would give them an easy ride through to the final. They're taking the hard route, but you just never know with the French - hot and cold all over - it's '99 all over again!

And you may think England's style of play is boring (I ain't gonna comment, being a Welsh supporter, but their 3/4 line is not the most scintillating on earth), but Australia lost because they were slaughtered up front.

Still, a northern hemisphere team in the final can only be good for the game. And of course, it could still be an England / Scotland final :lol:

ps - I'm joking in that last comment. Obviously.
Oh Kate !! I think you are right about the draw...I 'suspect' that the script was supposed to have France play New Zealand in the final......but Argentina threw a spanner in the works.......I am now reduced to supporting plucky little Fiji, who I suppose are also about to take their bows before leaving the stage... Sad ) D

...and you are dead right about why the 'wobblies' lost too...I feared that when they included 'Dunce' Dunning in the squad as prop ( we have better, but they are out through injury Sad

Oh, tempora, oh mores ! Cry Cry

Paul McDonnell-Staff

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  to MUCH Rugby! Hibernicus 10 1,912 05-24-2009, 05:42 PM
Last Post: ParthianBow
  Rugby Ceannt 12 2,082 03-25-2009, 06:33 PM
Last Post: Na Saighdiuir