Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
weapons and armour of the greek marine
Ok,thanks Demetrios,I had once used the example of my grand parents and my father who used to play football in rocky terrain barefoot,when he was a boy,but I was not convincing.But no one could doubt you and you're living "civilised" proof that going barefoot is not unthinkable in all kinds of terrain.
Also think that most battle took place in cultivated farms.I tried it and even though I'm not used to going barefoot,my problem was not the terrain itself so much,as the heat of summer.
Stefane,in your painted sculpture shoes,you forget to say that most of them had indeed painted stripes,but the sole was sculpted and is still ery well visible!
Some vases have lost red paint,but you can see that in most of those where the red baldric and red shield ropes are visible,the sandals are non existant.
Heroic nudity is not convincing,as in all those where the hoplites are fully armes,shoes are nowhere.And in many vases,some soldiers are barefeet and others have shoes,no matter who is wearing arnour and who is "heroicly" nude.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]

Messages In This Thread
Re: weapons and armour of the greek marine - by Giannis K. Hoplite - 09-20-2007, 04:02 PM
Marines - by Paullus Scipio - 09-21-2007, 01:23 AM
Marines equipment - by Paullus Scipio - 09-21-2007, 09:16 PM
Greek Marines - by Paullus Scipio - 09-21-2007, 09:37 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Greek Helmet/ armour database Paullus Scipio 161 141,527 12-17-2019, 11:00 PM
Last Post: Adventurous Artisan
Wink Greek linen armour - what did it look like? Draugr the Greedy 4 1,934 12-14-2019, 04:14 PM
Last Post: Feinman
  Great picture Greek armour etc on 5th C terracotta sitalkes 3 2,721 04-15-2013, 08:17 PM
Last Post: Dan Diffendale