Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
weapons and armour of the greek marine
Quote:It is mainly the chapter about the peltasts who were later equipped by Iphicrates with spears and oval peltes
... I think there may be some vase depictions which have been interpreted as oval, but they may also be circular and the artist has tried to show them at an angle.......
Geala said;
Quote: that the Macedonian phalangites were also trained with javelins,,

.....there is plenty of evidence for this, most of which, but not all, Luke refers to.
Quote:that the peltasts = mercenaries did not use javelins for a long time and that the thureophoroi did not use javelins (I think they were all-round soldiers with javelins and spear).
...I am inclined to think this too, but in that case if you believe in 'dual armed' mercenaries, why not 'dual armed' phalangites? The phalangites have more need of a weapon when the sarissa is unsuitable, after all.

Stefanos said:
Quote:The fisrt contact that Greeks had with rectangular shields was at the 7th century B.C. at the western colonies
...what is the source for this please ? Do you mean with Italian rectangular shields?
And don't forget they also had contact with Egyptian 'long shields' but even so I don't believe the Thureos was used in Greece until after the Gallic invasions......
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff

Messages In This Thread
Marines - by Paullus Scipio - 09-21-2007, 01:23 AM
Re: weapons and armour of the greek marine - by Paullus Scipio - 09-21-2007, 08:32 AM
Marines equipment - by Paullus Scipio - 09-21-2007, 09:16 PM
Greek Marines - by Paullus Scipio - 09-21-2007, 09:37 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Greek Helmet/ armour database Paullus Scipio 161 141,531 12-17-2019, 11:00 PM
Last Post: Adventurous Artisan
Wink Greek linen armour - what did it look like? Draugr the Greedy 4 1,934 12-14-2019, 04:14 PM
Last Post: Feinman
  Great picture Greek armour etc on 5th C terracotta sitalkes 3 2,722 04-15-2013, 08:17 PM
Last Post: Dan Diffendale