Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
tunics
Can people please tell me what sort of tunic or clothing was worn by hoplites. As I am putting together a kit I do not want to be naked in the public. I am wanting to do a spartan. Were they wearing tunics or something that wrapped around them like a sheet?
Let your warriors be your shield, and your horse be your saviour, for I will live to see another fight another day.
Spartans would wear exactly the same clothing as any other Southern Greek.
This would be a tunic called chiton.This was sleeveless.Over this they would wear the himation,a rectangular piece of fabric wraped around their belly,waist and legs.On the march and for other more active situations they wouls wear the chlamis.This was also a rectangular piece kept with a pin to the right shoulder.In battle the Spartans would wear the chiton(probably deep red) under their armour and a deep red overgarment over the armour.This overgarment was probably a chlamis.Many members here would tell you that they disbanded their cloak in battle but I disagree and there are no ancient sourses that tell this.
Also in some late 5th century another chiton was adopted.This was the exomis,a common chiton that was not pinned over the right shoulder and left it free.It was not worn under armour.
This site has accurate reconstructions
http://www.costumes.org/history/100page ... reece1.htm
In late archaic and early classical times(early-middle fifth century bc) the most common chiton worn by warriors was a more comlex one.There are no reconstructions of it on the net.I made one such chiton that you can see here http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic. ... &start=260
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Thanks for the help.

What were the chitons pinned at the shoulders with? What about belts, any references would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance
Let your warriors be your shield, and your horse be your saviour, for I will live to see another fight another day.
For belt use something very simple.Either a rope or for a more luxurious chiton I used folded linen to make a thin belt about 1 cm wide. Later,in the 4th century they used more elaborate belts,wider and probably leather.
Your belt should be almost invisible ,hidden by the folds of the upper chiton.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
Elaborate buckles exist from the Bronze age so the belt was really a matter of taste and wealth of the Individual.
Nobility had belts. Homer describes an arrow almost piercing the belt of Menelaos.

All shades of red were available. It is usually thought that the richer warriors could afford dyed clothes.

As for chlamys in battler have a look in Pereus Image Base" ans you will see a minority of hoplites wearing chlamys in battle.
I can tell you from practical experience that phalanx drill is awkard with chlamys much less fighting.

Kind regards
But into the late archaic and classical times all belts shown in art,vases and sculptures are ropes and strings tied in the front or the side. The belts described by Homer have not been identified yet and it is possible he is talking about metal plated belts. And anyway,clothing of the 7th 8th or earlier century chitons had nothing to do with the 6th,5th and 4th century ones. Although it is possible the poor never stopped using a simple rope.
With the risk of converting this thread into a "cloaks in battle" one, I have to say that some re-enactment groups are using chlamis in phalanx,and most importantly,there are whole sculptures(see Nereid monument and others) depicting whole phalanxes fighting in cloaks. Interestingly,the chlamis is a cloak that does not cover the knees,does not make it difficult to spread your legs,it is designed to let your right arm completely free while the left one is almost completely covered,the left being the arm locked in the porpax of the shield and not at all involved in fighting.You better read through the "spartan cloak" thread and the "red cloak of the Spartans" thread and make your own decisions.
links here
http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic. ... ght=cloaks
http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic. ... ght=cloaks
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite