Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greek Helmet/ armour database
I very much agree, I was also thinking the same thing. No reason to not make an expandable database that can contain data with as many tags as we want. Any ideas of how to proceed? I looked into Joomla but its basic search queries and tagging system do not seem to be as helpful as I hoped...
Macedon
Forum rules
George C. K.
῾Ηρακλῆος γὰρ ἀνικήτου γένος ἐστέ
Joomla is horrible. I already developed a prototype using ProcessWire, which I also use for my other website projects. It's simple and extensible, and has an excellent built-in search function as well. The basic structure is not much of a problem (the prototype is fairly complete), it's just that filling it in is rather time-consuming. Currently, I am working on finishing Henchmen of Ares, preparing the next issue of Ancient Warfare, and doing some assorted stuff; I should have more time later in September/October.
Sounds nice... Have you uploaded this DB somewhere for me to see or play with? I surely currently have the time to do a lot of work...
Macedon
Forum rules
George C. K.
Sadly, no. It's a prototype and I dare not release it at this stage, since some stuff will undoubtedly be changed and it's rough around the edges.
I just installed PW and play about with it. So then, what next? The form of the data and the info to go with it are all depended on how the DB works... You could upload it someplace and forbid access to visitors?
Macedon
Forum rules
George C. K.
Umm folks, sorry for necro-ing this thread but since my question is very related to helmets, may I ask a question?

The Boeotian helmet was the only helmet used by the hoplites whose contemporary name was known to us right? How about the other helmets? Were there any clues as to what their contemporary names were?

If not, then let's go into the realm of...fantasy doesn't sound like the right term to use so let's use speculation instead.

What was the most likely name that would've been given to the Corinthian helmet by the Persian Wars era Greeks?
Hello and welcome.
The boeotian is not the only ancient name that comes to us. The corinthian is indeed mentioned by Herodotus. The boeotian is mentioned and described by Xenophon.

Some helmet types also fall in the same category as some hats, from which they evolved. So the laconian pilos may some times reffer to a bronze helmet, and some times to felt caps. The same goes for the boeotian pilos, which may have evolved into the more elaborate boeotian helmet by the time of Xenophon and Alexander.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Photo 
Now available:

[Image: AGHa-l.jpg]

April 2019

Hixenbaugh Ancient Art is pleased to announce the release of the new book by Randall Hixenbaugh and Alexander Valdman: Ancient Greek Helmets: A Complete Guide and Catalog.  The book is the most comprehensive study ever produced on the subject of ancient Greek armor, tracing the development of the ancient Greek helmet from the Bronze Age through the Hellenistic Period, delving into design, function, iconography, metallurgy, and the impact of Greek military technology on the world.  The book catalogs over 2100 ancient Greek helmets in both public and private collections, with hundreds depicted in brilliant full color original illustrations.

Ancient Greek helmets are emblematic of the culture that created them at a time when entire nations were often obliterated by more powerful adversaries.  Yet the Greeks survived and thrived.  Their armor was the product of a culture that respected free thought, foreign trade and exchange of ideas, and scientific inquiry unhindered by religious dogma. In their elegant and effective designs, we see the accumulation of these unique factors:  individuality, industry, pursuit of excellence, and the desire to protect the lives and property of men that cherished these values.

by Randall Hixenbaugh
illustrated by Alexander Valdman
edited by Sharon Herson
Hard Cover with dust jacket
738 pages (275 color pages).
8 1/2 x 11 in.
ISBN 978-0-578-42371-5
$450

The book release is conjunction with the current gallery exhibition, ANCIENT GREEK HELMETS.  The exhibition includes over a dozen authentic ancient Greek helmets in a variety of designs spanning a period from 600 BC to 100 BC.  It is an exhibition that rivals the finest museum collections, representing each of the distinctive ancient Greek helmet forms spanning the entire period of their production and use on the battlefield.

Also on view are the original painted gouache illustrations of ancient Greek helmets from the book by artist Alexander Valdman.

Hixenbaugh Ancient Art’s exhibition “ANCIENT GREEK HELMETS” is currently on view in our Chelsea gallery through April 30th.

To purchase the book please, please visit: [/url][url=http://www.hixenbaugh.net/gallery/detail.cfm?itemnum=AGH]http://www.hixenbaugh.net/gallery/detail.cfm?itemnum=AGH or https://www.amazon.com/Ancient-Greek-Hel...0578423715
R. Hixenbaugh

Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Looks good!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Photo 
Is the helmet featured on this cinematic poster realistic/historically correct with it's metal crest/plume? Or were crests/plumes only with horse hair and other materials?

http://www.larutadelsorigens.cat/wkey/sp...lpaper-hd/
I really appreciate the effort done on the book. I went through the sample pages and it looks really useful. But the price is extreme and there may be some very nice gouache illustrations inside, but the rest of the book has a very basic layout and even with a 740 page count there is no way that it worths $450 even if it was printed on demand.
aka Yannis
----------------
Molon lave
Is this project still alive?

Levi

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Wink Greek linen armour - what did it look like? Draugr the Greedy 4 1,883 12-14-2019, 04:14 PM
Last Post: Feinman
  Great picture Greek armour etc on 5th C terracotta sitalkes 3 2,643 04-15-2013, 08:17 PM
Last Post: Dan Diffendale
  A Greek Dark Age Centaur Armour h.k.linderot 8 4,838 11-01-2012, 08:52 AM
Last Post: Dan Howard