Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gladiator on Glass Goblet from Begram
I just found this and I think it's pretty interesting. A very vibrant depiction of a gladiator from Begram in Afghanistan dating to the 1st C. AD. I believe this is an example of Syrian glasswork that had been imported.

[Image: mgbegram15.jpg]
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
Nice! there is a nice piece at Vindolanda, Fragmentary, but they found another piece this year. It too depicts gladiator scenes.. Smile
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Wow! Must have been a pretty piece when new.
---AH Mervla, aka Joel Boynton
Legio XIIII, Gemina Martia Victrix
Quote:A very vibrant depiction of a gladiator from Begram in Afghanistan dating to the 1st C. AD.

Nice!

That's Begram or Bagram, as in the airbase?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:
MeinPanzer:1ncstkt0 Wrote:A very vibrant depiction of a gladiator from Begram in Afghanistan dating to the 1st C. AD.

Nice!

That's Begram or Bagram, as in the airbase?

Begram and Bagram are just different spellings for the same city. At any rate, rather than mentioning modern names, I should have just said that it was found in the ruins of what are thought to have been Alexandria in the Caucasus.
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
Quote:Begram and Bagram are just different spellings for the same city. At any rate, rather than mentioning modern names, I should have just said that it was found in the ruins of what are thought to have been Alexandria in the Caucasus.

Caucasus and Afghanistan? Confusedhock:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:
MeinPanzer:39z4wkx7 Wrote:Begram and Bagram are just different spellings for the same city. At any rate, rather than mentioning modern names, I should have just said that it was found in the ruins of what are thought to have been Alexandria in the Caucasus.

Caucasus and Afghanistan? Confusedhock:

The Greek name for the Hindu Kush range was the Caucasus, so it was called "Alexandria on the Caucasus."
Ruben

OK! Big Grin One never stops learning.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans