Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sarmatian (or Scythian) soldiers in the 1st century AD
Quote:When you remember that a large draft of Sarmatian heavy cavalry were sent to Britain by Marcus Aurelius after he succeeded in obtaining a peace treaty with the nomadic Sarmatian tribes, the connection to the Arthurian Mythos may not be so very far-fetched.

First of all it was no peace treaty, the Sarmatians were defeated and had to provide troops.

Secondly, there is no proof that large numbers of Sarmatians remained in Britain.

Thirdly, 'Arthur' supposedly lived 300 years later than this event...
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Marcvs here is the Horn Lorica of mine ,it needs a bit of work on the shoulder gaurd as the linen has torn Sad
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
[Image: PA190651.jpg]
[Image: PA190653.jpg]
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Quote: They moved up, throwing their javelins or using their lances and, as occasion required, their light-weight swords to close in and wound the unprotected Sarmatians, who do not normally carry shields..
I wonder, What kind of Roman units would be those carrying lances?
AKA Inaki
Quote:[

Perhaps they mean 'spears'?

Great piece of armour Tony! Is that wood on the chestarea?

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
If you are looking for Sarmatian gear, Samarkandia provides some pieces. The sword looks quite spiffy although I have to say the example Jyrki posted is a much nicer piece.

http://www.samarkandia.com/en/peuple-2.php
Paul Basar - Member of Wildfire Game\'s Project 0 AD
Wildfire Games - Project 0 A.D.
Quote:Perhaps they mean 'spears'?

Vale,
No, I checked the latin original and the word is lancea

Edit: Ok, it could be spears, but what units would carry them? Legionary in addition to pila or auxilia?
AKA Inaki
Marcvs no it is white horn with tinned iron shoulder gaurds.It is quite heavy and it does not stop ballista bolts :lol: :lol: But it is a great piece of kit I hope to wear it one day once I fix it up Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
These folks have a ring hilt sword (Sarmatian)
Don't know how authentic but I guess gives an idea.
Not too sure n their aromour for the period.
http://www.samarkandia.com/en/peuple-2.php
Jon R
There are no real truths, just stories. (Zuni)
Jef wrote:-
Quote:I wonder, What kind of Roman units would be those carrying lances?

It's a mistranslation, and the original read more like " throwing their pila or using their lancea and....

The lancea (latin translation of Greek longche) was a short dual purpose throwing/thrusting spear, almost the standard weapon of Auxiliaries, and by Arrian's time (early second cnetury A.D.) if not before, a portion of the legionaries as well.[/quote]
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
To Gioi:-

Believe it or not, I still have the sketches that Ian Heath worked from back in 1979 to produce those line drawings for "Armies and Enemies of Imperial Rome"! Smile )

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Quote:Lucky of you!.. that must cost a fortune!

Not at all, Gioi ! Smile ...They are my original drawings/sketches that I supplied Phil Barker with!

Paul McDonnell-Staff
Gioi wrote:-
Quote:I'm confused

So you did supplied your sketches to Phil & then Ian H. did the final work, thats why he is credited?

Did you made the plates in J. Warry's book like in your avatar?

That's correct - the research and original sketches that the artists worked from were mine in both cases - but I am not a very good artist Sad )

Paul McDonnell-Staff
Jonwr I am afraid it is not a ring pommel I have across,the ring like that has to my knowledge not been found,the grip is too long and non have been found that have a diamond cross section blade, but you never know it could be new one Big Grin D
[Image: Romans1024-1.jpg]
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Tony
Nice swords you have there.
I didn't know how accurate or not those from Samakandia were or not.
I think a lot of offerings for this time period are what people would like them to be. If you follow my drift.
Jon R.
There are no real truths, just stories. (Zuni)
Quote:
Paullus Scipio:1rs4m7c1 Wrote:Gioi wrote:-
Quote:I'm confused

So you did supplied your sketches to Phil & then Ian H. did the final work, thats why he is credited?

Did you made the plates in J. Warry's book like in your avatar?

That's correct - the research and original sketches that the artists worked from were mine in both cases - but I am not a very good artist Sad )

Oh now I'm clear!... you still lucky, I wich I could have someone that can project all my ideas as well 8)

BTW: where is the autor of this topic?... he is missing good things here :wink:

I'm not missing anything here Gioi, I'm just totaly ignorant on this subject, but I'm soaking everything in Big Grin
All this info is fantastic!

I'm still unsure what a Sarmatian fighting for Rome would wear armourwise. A horn cuirras? Chainmail? A metal squamata?

Valete fratres!
Jef
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Update on 1st Century Sarmatian Weapons Alanus 110 34,711 02-11-2016, 08:39 PM
Last Post: Alanus
  Alanic Sarmatian influence in the 5th century Razzoriel 20 7,363 05-18-2015, 08:02 PM
  Sarmatian/Scythian burials Michael Kerr 25 5,022 04-03-2013, 10:30 AM