Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alexander the Great Illustration
Here is Alexander wearing the armour described by Plutarch.
Enjoy..!
Johnny
http://community.imaginefx.com/fxpose/j ... ginal.aspx
Johnny Shumate
Eh-gads! Confusedhock: The poor leopard he is riding has a horse's head growing out of his back!! Tongue

Nice work again Johnny! Nice to see him in something different!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Excellent again! I was waiting to see his face.You know,we all have a general impression of how Alexander looked like.All his statues have some common characteristics. I'm glad to see your's is one of the most realistic ones!
And the helmet is specially imagined for that,ahowing the whole face.Based on Philip's partly,and with Thracian cheak guards...is it based on anything else?
The cuirass,ok,the classical one shown on the mosaic,interesting that it has iron fittings...I bet to fit with the rest of the equipment.I like the decoration of the gorgon head with the prescious stones,if my eyes do not fool me.
The sword hilt is based I supposed on the mosaic?May I note that usually the hilt matched with the scabard guard.For examble,most of those i've seen in museums are all iron.Few are bronze(and I plea for any photos of bronze xiphos hilts and scabard guards) and many in the time of Alexander had ivory hilts and ivory scabard guards.This is the case in Philip's sword,in those hunting scene mosaics and also in the Alexander mosaic all scabards shown(I remember three) have ivory fittings.
Congratulations Johny!Appart from Plutarch and the Alexander Mosaic for the various details,did you use any other sources?
Khaire and Laudes
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
It may well have been Alexander in his Indian campaign.
Good incorporation of "asiatic" items in his gear.
Nice work Johhny.
Beautiful artwork as usual!

Smile
Ioannis Georganas, PhD
Secretary and Newsletter Editor
The Society of Ancient Military Historians
http://www.ancientmilitaryhistorians.org/

What else can I add.....? It's always great to enjoy your artwork and I like it a lot.
Kallimachos a.k.a. Kurt

Athina Itonia
[Image: smallsun1.gif]
[url=http://www.hetairoi.de:4a9q46ao][/url]
Know what? I think the best part about it is the horse's face! Great work!
Michael D. Hafer [aka Mythos Ruler, aka eX | Vesper]
In peace men bury their fathers. In war men bury their sons.
Fantastic work Johnny Big Grin Bucephalus is going full out.

I'm suprirsed that more artists haven't done Alexander according to Plutarch's description.
Paul Basar - Member of Wildfire Game\'s Project 0 AD
Wildfire Games - Project 0 A.D.
Well,Plutarch's description can be interpreted in many ways,can't it? For example,the quilted linothorax could have any shape you can imagine.And if you believe some members that the common linothorax was quilted,then it could have been like any other Greek or Persian linothorax.The iron helmet...Connolly-and after him many others- has painted the lion head helmet iron and also put on it two white bushy feather crests...After a long discussion Johny concluded in this one,that is not necessarilly the only one possible.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
My major criticism of this work is that the colors of the fabrics seem way too saturated and exaggerated. I prefer his more "photorealistic" works to this one.
Michael D. Hafer [aka Mythos Ruler, aka eX | Vesper]
In peace men bury their fathers. In war men bury their sons.
Very nice work.
Hey,Gabriel,wellcome on board!Hey Johny...keep up with these paintings!You're attracting new members :lol:
Giannis K. Hoplite
Thanks, i have been reading the posts for a few months now. Thinking of trying my hand at making a Linothorax (glued). Lots of info to sift threw, but i'm enjoying reading it all and learning.
Thanks for all the comments!
The helmet is based on this one from Macedonia:

And also from the famous coin.
Johnny
Johnny Shumate
Right,thanks.Hey I had never seen that helmet!The third example of a Philip's-like helmet.Just this one is bronze while the other two are iron.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ancient synagogue mosaic may depict Alexander the Great Steven James 3 2,530 09-15-2016, 10:43 AM
Last Post: ValentinianVictrix
  Massacre of Greeks under Alexander the Great foojer 10 5,043 02-24-2013, 06:35 PM
Last Post: Paralus
  Who Killed Alexander the Great? D B Campbell 8 2,921 05-22-2012, 07:40 AM
Last Post: sitalkes