Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Second Macedonian War
I am doing a project on Cynocephalae for my warfare course. Could you guys recommend some primary sources for the Roman Republican army of this time period besides Polybius? Also, what modern books would you recommend on the subject?
Hi Andrew, and welcome to RAT.
You don't say what level your warfare course is. My response is based on the assumption that it's a university level course. If it's a school course, then probably the only helpful suggestion I can make is that you read Livy along with Polybius, and my apologies! Otherwise, read on...

Walbank's commentary on Polybius is very good, and Briscoe's commentaries on Livy. Regardless of Greek and Latin reading abilities, their commentaries contain a lot of very valuable info.

Other stuff:
N.G.L.Hammond, 'The opening campaign and the Battle of the Aoi Stena in the Second Macedonian War', JRS 56 (1966), 39-54
A.H.MacDonald and F. W. Walbank, 'The Origins of the Second Macedonian War', JRS 27 (1937), 180-207
A.R.Meadows, 'Greek and Roman Diplomacy on the Eve of the Second Macedonian War', JRS 27 (1937), 180-207
N G L Hammond: “The Campaign and the Battle of Cynoscephalae in 197 BCâ€
Quote:Walbank's commentary on Polybius is very good...
On-line HERE -- you can play about with the hyperlinks.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
The original sources are:-

Polybius XVIII.19-27 ( followed by Polybius' famous discourse on the Macedonian Phalanx)

Livy XXXIII.6-10

Plutarch 'Flamininus'

There are many modern sources - two that are useful are :-

Connolly "Greece and Rome at War"pp206-207 for the topography of the battlefield and Walbank's "Philip V of Macedon" for the whole war and Kynoskephalae pp167-173

For the Roman Army of the time, descriptions of the Battle etc

Warry J."Warfare in the Classical World"
Connolly P. "Greece and Rome at War"
Head D. "Armies and Enemies of the Macedonian and Punic Wars"

These latter three all contain detailed technical descriptions of warfare of the period, as well as the armies and battles.
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
I appreciate the input guys. My university library is rather useless in helping me. They have no history expert on staff this semester.

It is an undergraduate 300 level seminar course. But, being an Emory course, there is always a lot more expected of me.

Any more ideas you have would be great help.

Also, apparently I cannot ask about Macedonian armies on the Greek portion of the forum (I'm not sure why but my thread was locked). So, if anyone also has primary and other sources for the Macedonian army of this time period, please post them.
Andrew said:-
Quote:Also, apparently I cannot ask about Macedonian armies on the Greek portion of the forum (I'm not sure why but my thread was locked). So, if anyone also has primary and other sources for the Macedonian army of this time period, please post them.

...that's so as to save un-necessary duplication,Andrew. The above posted info. covers the Macedonian army as well. Try using these - and their bibliographies - as a starting point, you will learn all there is to know..... Smile
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Ah, I guess that makes sense. Thanks for the info.
Quote:So, if anyone also has primary and other sources for the Macedonian army of this time period, please post them.

If you can get hold of it, the best work on the Macedonian army would be M Hatzopoulos, L'organisation de l'armée macedonienne sous les antigonides (2001).

Failing that, Walbank's Philip V of Macedon, which Paul has already mentioned, deals with the Macedonian army more briefly but quite well. I'd also recommend Angelos Chaniotis, War in the Hellenistic World, (Blackwell 2005) for a recent look not just at Macedonia but Hellenistic warfare generally.
cheers,
Duncan