Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Food Storage
Quote:I did make a "cooler" box, it is a styrofoam cooler mailing package that I built a box around.

I have not painted it yet, someday..........

Very similar to the one I made for my CivWar reenacting. I use it for Roman as well. A few years ago, part of my day job was receiving shipments of frozen ingredients for our biopharma process. They came packed in several sizes of shipping containers along with gel-ice packs and special blocks called Frigid Bricks. I saved a bunch to make into coolers. The sides and top are made with re-sawn pine boards to keep the whole thing lighter to carry. They work great! Very sturdy. We've used it as a table, chair, and step stool. Currently it's serving as a limber chest for my ballista base until a bigger chest can be built. I load it up with frozen bottles of water or juiceboxes, toss in a few freezer packs and some frozen venison. Then fill up a linen bag with some onions, garlic, and other durable staples. Lastly I stop at the Polish Deli for some smoked sausage to hang from my furca and I'm ready to go for the weekend. Come to think of it, a macrame netting bag like we use for Julia's canteens would come in handy for the the vegetables.
P. Clodius Secundus (Randi Richert), Legio III Cyrenaica
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"
Quote:Err not wanting to sound like a woose or anything, but what about the flys? Confusedhock: :?

You could just use cloth bags, but not everything needs to be protected like that. Obviously, raw meat or fish should only hang briefly and if possible inside a cloth cover, but sausages, vegetables, ham, bacon flitches etc. are much more forgiving (and inedible to most maggots). Then again, as a civilian I go by the idea that, decadent penpusher that I am, I *buy* fresh meat daily. Tongue

Add to the rack idea - I just stumbled over a depiction of what I think is a juice strainer rack in a mosaic from Marbella. Unfortunately it's very '2D', but it looks like two long uprights (possibly boards or frames) connected by short horizontal bars, the one at the top holding up the strainer bag, the one at the bottom for spacing and stabilisation. Something like that looks like it could be made collapsible and camp-capable, if you want to do a civilian impression. (I'd give money to hear what a legionary would say when asked to carry one extra, though)
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
Quote:I'd give money to hear what a legionary would say when asked to carry one extra, though
You would probably want to get some cloth ear-filters first, yes? :lol: :oops:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.