Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman cavalry tombstone found in Scotland
A new tombstone has been found in Scotland, with the wording translated as "To the shades of Crescens, cavalryman of the Ala Sebosiana, from the detachment of the governor's bodyguard (the Equites Singulaires), served 15 years, his heir (or heirs) had this erected" (haven't found the Latin version reported yet). One report has it looking like the Hexham stone.

From the BBC, which also has a picture of the stone in the article:-
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scot ... 066539.stm

Roman tombstone found at Inveresk

The tombstone was found near the line of a Roman road
The first Roman tombstone found in Scotland for 170 years has been unearthed at Carberry, near Inveresk.
The red sandstone artefact was for a man called Crescens, a bodyguard for the governor who ran the province of Britain for the Roman Emperor.

The National Museum of Scotland said the stone provided the strongest evidence yet that Inveresk was a pivotal Roman site in northern Britain.

It was found by amateur enthusiast Larney Cavanagh at the edge of a field.

It had been ploughed up and cleared from the field without anyone noticing its inscription.

Dating between 140 and 180 AD, it features the image of a naked barbarian, apparently dead.

Most of the upper part of the stone is lost, but a surviving hoof and foot show that it would have featured a cavalryman attacking the barbarian.

This tombstone is the first Scottish example ever found

Dr Fraser Hunter
National Museums Scotland

The presence of the stone near Inveresk strongly suggests that Crescens died while accompanying the governor on a visit to the fort there.

The tombstone has been described as the most important Roman discovery in Scotland since the Cramond Lioness.

The white sandstone lioness statue was found in the mud of the River Almond 10 years ago.

Dr Fraser Hunter, principal curator of Roman Archaeology at the National Museums Scotland, said: 'It is very rare to find Roman tombstones, and this is the first time we have found evidence of the governor's bodyguard in Scotland.

"This stone is an unexpected window onto our Roman past, and we can tell from it that Crescens was a well-respected and important man.

"The cavalryman riding down a barbarian - who represents our unfortunate Scottish ancestors - is a typical image seen on tombstones all around the frontiers of the Roman Empire, but this is the first Scottish example ever found."

'Very nervous'

Larney Cavanagh said: 'I was stunned when I laid eyes on the stone, and very nervous as I awaited confirmation of my initial suspicions.

"Some finds are difficult to recognise at first as being significant, and I usually turn stones over looking for inscriptions and patterns, but this one was instantly recognisable from the style of the carving."

The tombstone measures over a metre high and nearly a metre wide.

It was found near the line of a Roman road, but is likely to have been moved from its original position as it shows signs of damage and attempts at reuse.

Romans were often buried near roads, so that travellers could see their memorials and remember them.

The stone is currently at the National Museums Collection Centre in Edinburgh for further examination.
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
cool!!!!!

i have been clicking along the site and also came across a pan seemingly being a souvenir of Hadrians Wall.......!

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
better image here

http://www.bajr.org/images/roamnstoneoriginal.jpg
An excuse finally to do a cavelry impression.... Tongue
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
And a Crescens also pops up in Vindolanda- but I suspect it was a common name!

"The (Vindolanda) tablets also refer to many individuals of lower rank, junior officers, ordinary soldiers, though we learn little more about them than we can extract from their names and ranks. The names for example in 180, recording the dispensation of wheat, include Macrinus, Felicius Victor, Spectatus, Amabilis, Crescens, Firmus, Candidus and Lucius, sound Roman. "
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
One of the tablets from Carlisle is addressed to an unnamed trooper of Ala Sebosiana. He is intriguingly described as a singularis of Agricola, presumably the famous governor Gnaeus Iulius Agricola.

The reference is: R.S.O Tomlin (1998) 'Roman Manuscripts from Carlisle: The Ink-Written Tablets' Britannia 29 pp. 31-84

The text in question is no. 44 p. 74
Quote:(haven't found the Latin version reported yet).
D(is) M(anibus)
CRESC[E]NTIS EQ(uitis)
ALAE SEBOSIA(nae)
EX N(umero) EQ(uitum) SING(ularium)
S[T]IP(endiorum) XV
H(eres) F(aciundum) C(uravit)
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Amazing find. Great news!!
Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]
Found something here :- antoninuspius.blogspot.com/2007/10/rewards-of-service.html
** Vincula/Lucy **

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cavalry altar found at Vindolanda Robert Vermaat 1 355 12-14-2021, 06:52 PM
Last Post: Longovicium
  Glenmailen Roman Marching Camp Site, NE Scotland Roman Military History is 4 Me 1 1,558 08-29-2013, 12:22 PM
Last Post: Roman Military History is 4 Me
  Roman Forts or Ruins in Northern Scotland? Roman Military History is 4 Me 20 5,246 07-24-2013, 05:35 PM
Last Post: Roman Military History is 4 Me