Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Samnite / Gladiator belt hook
This one is a really Saminite / Gladiator belt hook, alike in the exhibition
"Die Graeber von Paestum" in Hamburg or from Dr.Marcus Junkelmann in the book "So kämpften Roms Gladiatoren".

It was made from brass and off-the-shelf from a good friend of mine.

cheers

Caivs Molinarivs Blandvs, Vinarivs et Mvrmillo LVPVS
Caivs Molinarivs Blandvs, Vinarivs et Mvrmillo "Lvpvs"
aka Wolf M.
And here's one of the hooks from the exhibition "Die Gräber von Paestum" at Bucerius Kunst Forum in Hamburg, Germany:
Caivs Molinarivs Blandvs, you must put your real name into your signature, it´s a forum rule. Link to forum rules is below in my signature.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
@Christian: I´m very,very sorry for my carelessness ! I´m a new one in this board, so I don´t know that. Of course it´s no problem to sign with my real name. I hope, this is enough ?
aka Wolf M.
No Problem, Yes.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
So do these hooks sew down onto the one strap, and hook into holes on the other? That seems pretty simple, and reasonably secure. Or are those rivet holes?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Not bad for a first attempt! I need to get me some of these...

Let us know when you have the whole belt.

Quote:So do these hooks sew down onto the one strap, and hook into holes on the other? That seems pretty simple, and reasonably secure. Or are those rivet holes?
They're rivet holes.
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Quote:So do these hooks sew down onto the one strap, and hook into holes on the other?

The belts are actually thin bronze sheet, apparently with a thin leather backing (since I believe there are stitch holes along the edges). So the hooks are riveted to one end, and there are holes that they hook into at the other end. Very spiffy items!

NICE hook, by the way!

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
Yes, there was leather in the back which was sewed onto the belt. The hooks hook onto the holes seen in the picture I have uploaded. As you could see, there are several holes, so you can adjust it like a modern belt. :wink:
Much easier than the lacing method I've used on mine. A person pretty much can't tie the laces without an assistant. Not that they didn't have assistants, but we are usually so few people, that we don't.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
What lacing method are you talking about? Do you have a picture of your belt?
All the pictures I have seen and the one in Leeds armoury are of the hook and hole type, with multiple hole for adjusting the size, such as you describe, Medusa! I took pictures but they did not come out well at all.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
It laces like a shoe. Not very effective, and practically impossible to tie and keep tight by yourself. I don't have a picture handy. If you saw the bogus TV show "Empire" it was laced like one of theirs. Won't work well, we found out. But at that time, I didn't know about the belt hooks. Simple to change them out and use one side's lace holes for the hooks, and cover the set of holes with the plates.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I have a few pictures, but these are all that are uploaded at the moment:
http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~dpd/italica/armor/36-B_1.jpg
http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~dpd/italica/armor/37-B_1.jpg

I made a rough belt earlier this year, I'll put up some pictures.
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
@Danno

very nice pictures, esp. the first. Like this examples, we will construct our belts. Material thin bronze sheet with a thin leather backing.

Of course, when the belts are ready, I show the pictures.

Confusedhock: Big Grin
aka Wolf M.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Samnite, Republican, 1st-C AD belt thesis Tarbicus 0 1,129 03-06-2013, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Tarbicus