Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need some information about Mantinea 207 BCE
Duncan wrote:-
Quote:Paullus Scipio wrote:
...at least you don't have to invent cliffs to have stones dropped off, or have the Macedonians obligingly stand under them while the Phocians did so - they would only have to withdraw a very small distance to be perfectly safe from 'dropped' rocks .....

This bit made me laugh out loud. If you check our respective messages, you'll see that I have never used the word "cliffs". In fact, you have invented the cliffs, Paul.
Quite right - my apologies ...you merely actually said 'dropped', and only implied 'cliff or cliff-like' to go with dropped! :lol: O.K., so it's 'hillside' ( or if Stefanos is correct - see his post -mountainside, which rather changes the scale of things ) and 'hurled/shot/launched' then ( see Stefanos post again - and noting that ancient and modern greek often are different due to changed meaning over time...)
Quote:In other words, the men are hiding on the hillsides, ready to pelt the Macedonians with rocks.
...there's no mention of men, merely 'petroboloi'/stone throwers, which word appears to be the heart of the debate - I shall return to it later
Quote:(By the way, how on earth do you hide a stone-throwing machine with a 9-foot bow?! Actually, several of them! Dozens, d'you think?
To a military man, easy ! If the heights/ridges are forested or scrub-covered, no problem at all ! How about if the slope is bare? Again, easy ! depending on whether the slope is concave or convex, either on or just behind the crest, completely invisible, and only the rocks/stones appear, as if by magic! ( very demoralising I should think!) Confusedhock:
...which is a lot easier than concealing hundreds/thousands of men at hand-throwing distance on a slope, say 25 yards/metres....unless of course, we go back to a cliff scenario again! Smile D lol: :lol:
Quote: In case you give the impression that petrobolos always means a machine, it most certainly doesn't. W.K. Pritchett wrote a sizeable tome about human lithoboloi and petroboloi which, unfortunately, I don't have access to, just now.
...back to that ambiguous word again! :? )
BTW 'ballo' if Stefanos is correct, means 'shot', at least in modern Greek..... and if the lexica are correct this was the ancient meaning too - "to throw or hurl or shoot with (a thing)"....(Liddell Scott) .....such as a machine, sling, or bow. So the more correct meaning is (something) shooting, which in context can only be machines....no imaginary men throwing! :lol:

Quote:Thucydides (1.106) records how a force of Corinthian hoplites (!!) were trapped and stoned to death by Athenian light troops.
And later (4.43), he describes how a section of the Corinthian phalanx at Solygia retired up a slope to a dry-stone wall, and showered their Athenian adversaries with the stones.
...relevant how? I never said there were no hand thrown missiles at all, and I meant 'lethal' in the sense of 'lethal' to an army, to the point of mutiny and refusal to take the field ( only artillery here in Philip's case, and the prospect of elephants by the thousand, in Alexander's case, had this effect on the hard-bitten Macedonian army). But taking 'lethal to individuals', in your first instance the killing is shooting fish in a barrel by proper Athenian light troops - slingers and javelinmen, or maybe slingers alone - there is no mention of 'hand-thrown', and in your second example, when Corinthian Hoplites take to throwing lumps of dry stone wall, no-one is reported killed.... both your examples are irrelevant.
One more point; we must always take the surrounding circumstances into account. A man who shoots another is a murderer, right? But what if the victim was coming at him with a knife? Or he's a soldier? Circumstances alter cases! Smile wink: :wink:
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff

Messages In This Thread
Mantinea207 and ctapults - by Paullus Scipio - 11-16-2007, 06:07 PM
Catapults - by Paullus Scipio - 11-16-2007, 07:46 PM
Early Artillery - by Paullus Scipio - 11-19-2007, 12:54 AM
"Stone-Throwers" - by Paullus Scipio - 11-20-2007, 08:32 AM
Re: "Stone-Throwers" - by D B Campbell - 11-22-2007, 04:43 PM
Onomarchos stone throwers - by Paullus Scipio - 11-24-2007, 06:29 AM
Re: Onomarchos stone throwers - by D B Campbell - 11-24-2007, 12:01 PM
Macedonian catapults - by Paullus Scipio - 11-24-2007, 01:55 PM
Re: Macedonian catapults - by D B Campbell - 11-24-2007, 02:02 PM
Re: Onomarchos stone throwers - by D B Campbell - 11-24-2007, 04:24 PM
Onomarchus catapults - by Paullus Scipio - 11-24-2007, 10:51 PM
Re: Onomarchus catapults - by D B Campbell - 11-25-2007, 10:29 AM
Stonethrowers - by Paullus Scipio - 11-25-2007, 11:32 AM
Re: Stonethrowers - by D B Campbell - 11-25-2007, 07:34 PM
Perobolos - by Paullus Scipio - 11-26-2007, 08:08 AM
Re: Perobolos - by D B Campbell - 11-26-2007, 08:48 AM
\'Stone-throwers - by Paullus Scipio - 11-26-2007, 10:03 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Polybius or Plutarch for 3rd Mantinea ? Michael Collins 3 1,276 10-18-2019, 10:41 AM
Last Post: Michael Collins
  A bungled deployment at 1st Mantinea? Michael Collins 0 577 08-28-2019, 08:44 AM
Last Post: Michael Collins
  spartan army at Mantinea 418 BC Marcvs75 64 18,650 05-20-2008, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Paralus