Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
R: TW Tactics
I was thinking that we might get a thread going with tactics and tips for playing R:TW, both with and without any mods. How does that idea sound?

The only tactic I have to add is: when playing against barbarian, kill the leader. Concentrate all available long range firepower on his unit. Then charge them. That usually breaks all but the most elite units.
"There are some who call me... Tim..."

Sic vis pacem, para bellum

Exitus acta probat

Nemo saltat sobrius

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

Fortes Fortuna Aduvat

"The enemy outnumber us a paltry three to one! Good odds for any Greek!"
Alexander's tactics are applicable as well... Hold their infantry with your massed phalanges, while you flank them with your cavalry.

Against elephants, javelins and fire arrows work wonders. Pelt them from afar and they'll run amok before they even come into contact with your men.
Michael D. Hafer [aka Mythos Ruler, aka eX | Vesper]
In peace men bury their fathers. In war men bury their sons.
i have more problems with keeping my plebs happy than with winning battles....

its terrible... you have a red face, ok you remove the governor (who is a jerk anyway) face turns green.....

other town, you remove cavalry, face turns green......

and yet another town, you put loads of troops in, face turns red again......

so what i do as soon as i have a red face somewhere and rioting... i leave the city with all my troops and camp outside..... then when they revolt, i siege the city, exterminate the populace and get some money, and ................
surprise!!!!!

a GREEN face!!!!!!!!

I also raid settlements, ie siege, exterminate earn money and leave......

and what i learned from Shogun Total war....... ALWAYS attack the leader by any means possible!

M.VIB.M.

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Try going to the city, then click on the status button, and it will show you what's wrong with the people's happiness. Chances are, more civilian population, or building sewers or a temple, or lowering taxes will solve your problem. If not, just step out of the town wiht your troops, let it rebel, then reconquer and exterminate. EZ solve.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I take great pride in maintaining a happy populace. I manually maintain as many cities as possible, adjusting garrison levels, taxes, and building structures as necessary. I also can't recommend highly enough Rome:Total Realism full conversion mod. It essentially turns vanilla Rome:Total War into a totally new game: More units to choose from. More factions. More historical accuracy. Unit textures and models enhanced 10-fold. Bigger campaign map. It's just plain unbelievable how much better the Total Realism mod makes the game. It also gets rid of the stupid 3-faction Roman family thing. Download it here: http://www.rometotalrealism.org/download.html

I'd also install a few of the optional add-ons, like the add-on that makes hoplites fight with the overhand thrust and makes the pikemen use a two-handed hold on the pike: http://downloads.totalrealism.net/downl ... lat-addons
In a battle, leave your general right at the back, as far away from the enemy as possible, with just a few troops. Deploy a few units of cavalry on one extreme flank. As the enemy advance, take the cavalry round the back and pick off units one by one. - or, if you have enough cavalry, two by two, or three by three. The computer will maintain your general as the priority target and the enemy slowly gets whittled away......
Ian (Sonic) Hughes
"I have described nothing but what I saw myself, or learned from others" - Thucydides, Peloponnesian War
"I have just jazzed mine up a little" - Spike Milligan, World War II
is there any possibility in RTR to build siege terraces and ramps??>???

since yeah towers are funny however i am missing the great ramps Rome used to build to get to the walls !!!!!

and also i want the possibility to build legionary fortressess including earthworks, ditches and what have you! and then upgrade them to stone...

and also if i lay siege to Alesia i want to be able to construct my own earthworks, ditches, lilies, spikes, towers, et cetera!!

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
Yes, I was thinking that would be a good upgrade myself...

Also, the possibility of leaving a camp and returning to it, and only having to rebuild it, rather than start from scratch....I usually leave a token force to keep it maintained as a base for campaigning forces...
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
same here some dumb archers or mercenaries.........

LOL

So can the developers of RTR give us this? and also extend the game into the IMPERIAL period? since from what i hear i have the idea (not knowing wether it is so) that it only stretches to the early days of the principate.......

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:So can the developers of RTR give us this? and also extend the game into the IMPERIAL period? since from what i hear i have the idea (not knowing wether it is so) that it only stretches to the early days of the principate.......

M.VIB.M.
That feels like it would be a very different sort of game though (where the main problem would be avoiding coups and trying to raise enough taxes and acquire enough land [the retirement bonus] to pay for this very expensive professional army). The only major military threat would be internal (although the Parthians could get painful to you). The Total War games seem to be best for all-out struggles between state that are peers of each other. I've thought to myself that a next game set in ancient or medieval China in one of the periods with half a dozen kingdoms battling for supremacy could be cool.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
yup i see, but dont forget the dacian campaign of trajan, the Judean revolt, and a lot of other battles fought!!!!!

it would add a dimension in tactics!!

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
Yeah, elements like that would be sooo welcome. I was always a little peeved that it was not that accurate... :roll:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
well i say this also since i have seen some MODs arise which try to make the eastern and western Christian era Roman empire a reality....

and since i am 1st century Roman.......

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
Yep, a more accurate history line would be cool....
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Well, I think the object of the game is for you to create your own history. Smile

Other tactics:

Hold off attacking other factions as long as possible. Spend your time gobbling up rebel cities and building up your retinue of shrines, farms, ports, and roads. Within 50 turns or so (25 years), I have a dozen very very happy cities, pumping out denarii at "very high" tax levels.

Always maneuver your troops on the campaign map so that in the middle of a battle you will receive reinforcements. This works very well for Auto-Resolve battles. As many different armies as possible attacking an enemy army is best. A full stack plus a half stack is uber vs. an enemy full stack.

In Rome:Total Realism, if you're Macedonians (or Thracians or Romans) assault and occupy Illyrian cities ASAP. For some reason their cities pump out denarii like there's no tomorrow. I also hate when I'm playing the Macedonia campaign. You are given Pella, Elis, and Corinth, which all start the game at -2000 ish denarii income. No matter what you do they won't turn a profit for at least 50-100 years. However they are still useful since after less than 20 years you can pump out Quinquiremes from Elis and Corinth and Hetairoi and Hypaspists from Pella at the outset.