Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Proposal: Roman world travel guide
Perhaps is done somewhere in RA (Still 50% to discover...well, say75%) But I thought than adding to the map some features apart than reenactment groups and military places would be very useful, such when you have to stay one day or two somewhere and you want something Roman to see:

-Museums:
Address, some interesting pieces, etc. Some museums, like armoury, military "antiquities" plus the Archaeological ones, also have roman things, and often more unknown or unresearched ones.

-Sites:
Just remains, or perhaps with museum...mosaichs...military related...

And so. If each of us does a little profile, would be a nice guide of what visit, done with people with the same interests like you. With the address, timetable, a brief description of the place, interesting artifacts...if you are very interested in seeing pugios, and anyone has written that in XXXX museum´s have got one unheard of, will worth a visit? Has the writer posted photos? Or write directly to the writer and ask him for details...

I think will be very useful in travels...and research. :wink:

God bless the Spellingcow! Big Grin
-This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how
sheep´s bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.
[Image: escudocopia.jpg]Iagoba Ferreira Benito, member of Cohors Prima Gallica
and current Medieval Martial Arts teacher of Comilitium Sacrae Ensis, fencing club.
Did you know [url:10y8giaj]http://www.livius.org[/url]? It has plenty of information about archeological sites.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Nice site, but I say one more direct, as for example, I would go to Tarbes (France) This weekend, and I want to know what museums have roman things, where are roman remains, and when do they open.

Or if nearby is a museum with a gallic B helmet, because I want to see one...

And all this is clearly showed by map, if there is a nearby place of interest or so...

This kind of info, would be created in a sort of wikimap with tags (Well, I supposse that this is possible) and you can write about your city´s museums, or places, some things that are hard to find, as for example, the armoury mseum of my city has got some Antiquity weapons, almost unknown. If anyone see the picture, or reads the description and is interested, he can know where to go.

We the people from RAT we know a looong list of such places, and we can do a looong database-list-map of such places. And there is also the possibility of contacting RAT members from that city, proud and wishing to show the museums....

I think it can be done with little effort, It can spread the existence and the quality of some museums, and could encourage the research and the friendship between the people interested in Rome.
and current Medieval Martial Arts teacher of Comilitium Sacrae Ensis, fencing club.
Uhmmm, how's this: RA.com World Map
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
I had seen that before, yes... :oops:

What I say is: why limit this feature to reenactment groups?

If a easy way of adding information is avalable to RAT members, and when clicking on it, a description, adress, timetable, photos, comments of another RAT members...is shown, the map would be a great tool. Big Grin
And you can get the road map and know how to get there, in the same map!

PS:
For example, I was some years ago in an Italian restaurant in Tarragona/Tarraco, where the cellar is a vomitorium of the circus, an you can eat there... Confusedhock:
It would be of interest to tag such places, not? Big Grin
Did you try the other options that open when you click the map? It is initially limited to prevent the browser from unexpectedly bogging down.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
It doesn´t allow me to add nothing, that´s why I started this post...
Would be possible to "open it" to the RAT members, to let all us add places?
And the point of my propose is to show more info when clicking. Now it only shows the place and name...

Perhaps is difficult and means a lot more of job for someone... :roll:
But if we can do such thing I expect the people will be happy to colaborate.
Now that should go into the Future RAT thread.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
OK! Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Proposal: Guide for those new to reenacting M.H. White 17 11,510 04-18-2008, 10:53 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius
  Proposal Open Office Roman Dictionary ? Chance1234 17 11,849 10-06-2007, 09:44 AM
Last Post: Chance1234