Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alternatives to Celtic tunics
Hello, Ive been thinking, would the Chiton be an acceptable alternative to the tunic worn by the celtic people. Females wore the peplos, so why wouldn't males wear the chiton?
It is belived that that Galatians in Asia Minor and mercenaries in the Hellenistic Armies had adopted it.

Kind regards
Quote:It is belived that that Galatians in Asia Minor and mercenaries in the Hellenistic Armies had adopted it.

Kind regards

Do you have a source for the Galatians wearing chitons? The only depiction of a Galatian wearing anything similar to a chiton that I've seen shows a man wearing an exomis.
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
I wrote "it is belived" because it is not certain, just speculative.
And you are right the source of the speculation is the image with the exomis.

Kind regards
Where do you see the fundamental difference between a Roman or Celtic tunic and a Greek chiton? The chiton could have many different forms, judging from the pictorial evidence over the centuries, some look like typical tunics. Chitons with sleeves existed too.
Wolfgang Zeiler
All drunken, fat lords back in those days wore chitons. Didn't you see Hrothgar in the new Beowulf movie? Thats historical proof right there. Confusedhock: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Sorry. Couldn't resist.
Derek D. Estabrook
If by Celtic tunic you mean something like the Thorsberg tunic, seen as the classic 'Barbarian' look then you could use what is known as the 'Gallic coat', as an alternative. You will find diagrams of both in:

J.P. Wild.
'The Clothing of Britannia, Gallia Belgica and Germania Inferior'. ANRW 1985.

(There you go Derek, I popped up this time without my name even being mentioned. Genie or Genius!)

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Quite the wit Graham. My specialty is more smartass, but thats after a few beers.
Derek D. Estabrook
Quote:J.P. Wild.
'The Clothing of Britannia, Gallia Belgica and Germania Inferior'. ANRW 1985.

Do you have an ISBN or more info on this publication? I couldn't find it in WorldCat or any of my references. Is it one of those that's written only in German?
Lugorix

aka:  Jeffrey Adam Scharp
Quote:Do you have an ISBN or more info on this publication? I couldn't find it in WorldCat or any of my references. Is it one of those that's written only in German?

It is published in AUFSTIEG UND NIEDERGANG DER ROMISCHEN WELT, possibly only available via a University Library. It is written in English.

You could also try the following

J.P. Wild
'Clothing in the North West Provinces of the Roman Empire', published in another German Journal BONNER JARBUCHER 168, 1968. Much the same material as the previous article and again written in English.
Once more it is more likely that you will only find this via a University Library.

Hope this helps.
Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
FWIW, the exact data (for online catalog searches e.g.) is:

J. P. Wild, Clothing in the North-West Provinces of the Roman Empire, Bonner Jahrbücher 168, 1968, S. 166-240

and

The Clothing of Britannia, Gallia belgica and Germania inferior
by John Peter Wild, ANRW (Aufstieg und Niedergang der römischen Welt) II.12.3, pp. 362-422
Quote:All drunken, fat lords back in those days wore chitons. Didn't you see Hrothgar in the new Beowulf movie? Thats historical proof right there. Confusedhock: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

When I saw the movie it was rather late and I slept therefore some time during it :roll: , but I thing the poor Hrothgar does not wear a chiton but just a piece of cloth which is normally used as part of bed-linen. :wink:
Wolfgang Zeiler
Quote:fundamental difference between a Roman or Celtic tunic and a Greek chiton
I think the primary difference between what we generally call a tunic, and what we generally call a chiton, is that the shoulder seam in the former is sewn from neck to cuff, and the latter is merely tacked or pinned at a point or two along the upper edges of the garment, leaving the shoulder seam open. This, of course facilitates letting one side down so the garment hangs from one shoulder.

This picture swiped from Matt Amt's site demonstrates sort of what I mean about a chiton. Contrast with any Roman tunic.
[Image: hopside.jpg][/img]
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Well, Thessalian chiton had sleeves too pretty much like Celtic clothing.

Kind regards