Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who\'s the guvnor
Hi - I hope someone can help - I'm looking to find out who the Governor of Asia Minor was circa 86-89 AD. I know Sextus Julius Frontinus did a brief stint there around this time, does anyone know who came after him? Any help greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Russ
The name of Frontin is represented on the "Domitian Door" at Hierapolis (Pamukkale,Turkey) and seems his presence like proconsul of Asia in 86-87:

On the south side, we can read :

Caesare[re Augusto German]ico Pont(ifex) Max(imo) Trib(unicia) Pot(estate) / IIII Co(n)s(uli)[ XII P(atre) P(atriae) porta]m et t[vrres faciundas curavi]t [Sex(tus) Iulius Frontinus]
On the north side :

C[aesa]r[e] Avg(usto) Ger[manico Trib(unicia) pot(estate) II]II Co(n)s(uli) XII P(atre) P(atriae) Portam et t[vrres faciundas cur]avit Sex(tus) Ivlius Front[inus].

The tribunitian power, accorded the first time at the Domitian accession to the throne, is repeated every year at the birthday (14th of september). This could indicate the end of the year 86 .

Furthermore, the 12th consulship indicate the years 86/87.

After Frontin, at the end of 87, the asian consul was C. Vettulenus Civica Cerialis . He has been killed by Domitian , after the plot of 87, during his asian consulship (Suétone, Domitien, 10. Tacite, Agricola, 42).

After him, in 88 and 89 it was C. Minicius Italus, procurator vice præsidis : provincia Asiae quam mandaum principis vice defuncti proconsulis rexit - CIL V 875[/i]
lucius Gellius cuniculus,

Welcome to RAT, but you must enter your real name into your signature. it is a forum rule.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Thanks so much for your help in this matter - I've been lurking here for ages, but I see that this is my first post!

Will edit the sig accordingly!

Cheers

Russ